I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Bladder Spasm problems

User
Posted 25 Jun 2020 at 17:12

Hi, can anyone help.  Diagnosed with Prostate Cancer May 2019, had radical surgery to remove in Oct 2019.  Caught very early, Gleason score of 6 before and after op.  Its now 8 months on, the problem I am left with is that I get a bladder spasm and small leak.  This started off as one of the many bladder type issues after surgery but having regained continence after 3-4 months, I am left with this symptom.  No significant problems doing physical activities -  that tends to be rock solid.  9/10 it is when I am resting, just sitting in a chair.  

Medication prescribed initially was Solifenacin.  This caused extreme indigestion problems and really impacted my concentration.  But it did give me 7 days without a leak then I had two leaks in one day.  Because of the side effects we then moved on to an alternative medication, Oxybutynin.  I only took this med for 3 days and had to stop as it caused sever stomach problems/cramps.  The interesting thing about this med is that I started to get very sensual sensations in penis area Ive not had since the op.  the downside to this is that when aroused I also get a leak .  So this med caused twice as many leaks as normal.

Bottom line after keeping a diary on this, I've gone from 73% leak free days in April to only 50% so far in June.  As mentioned whereas it was only happening once a day if it did happen, it is now very common for it to happen twice  a day if it happens.

This is not linked to alcohol, caffeine etc.  I've had test periods when I stopped all intake and it made no difference.  I was doing pelvics 2 months before op and have continued to do so.

I've been told by prostate cancer UK nurse that its not common for it to happen at rest like this.  So my ask for help is, does any of this ring any bells with you and if so what did you do to resolve it?

User
Posted 25 Jun 2020 at 18:12

Have you tried doing bladder retraining? Often during treatment, you use your bladder differently, and this can train it to not expect to fill before emptying. Bladder retraining is about retraining the bladder back to it's original behaviour.

User
Posted 25 Jun 2020 at 22:04

RC

I have a permanent Catheter and a bladder capacity of 50ml so some big differences. Spasms with a catheter is frequently mentioned. I have had solifenacin and oxybutynin, one of them caused stirrings down below but i think was solifenacin. I went onto regurin XL alternate name trospium, very effective. 

I don't recall  any indigestion with any of the meds.

My 30/40 spasms reduced significantly when I started drinking more caffeinated black coffee than water a day.

Have you had a camera inside the bladder to check for foreign objects, like surgical clips from the op.

Thanks Chris

Edited by member 26 Jun 2020 at 16:14  | Reason: incorrect Spelling of trospium

User
Posted 26 Jun 2020 at 08:42

Thanks for reply.  I actually don't have a problem with urge continence, don't feel the need to go more often etc.  That aspect of bladder is working fine.

User
Posted 26 Jun 2020 at 08:51

Thanks for your reply, as you say a permanent catheter is quite a different situation to mine.  I've made a note of your meds.  This is being treated as an overactive bladder but I'm going to push the consultant to do some testing to rule out other possibilities