Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Personal trainer?

User
Posted 11 Jul 2020 at 12:21

Hi Everybody!

I have prostrate cancer and am on Prostrap (currently on second three monthly injection), awaiting radiotherapy (well, that was what I was told and I have my 'big' consultation later this month).

I'm looking for advice about finding a local personal trainer who understands this condition and who can help. Any ideas on how to get in touch with the right person? I'd want to be meeting and doing something at least once a week if not more (budget and health/treament permitting). I know I can exercise while taking hormone therapy but not sure what the advice is during radiotherapy. I'm based in Wimbledon, South West London.

I am not expecting someone to do something for me - that I have to do myself! But I would like the expert guidance of a trained person when it comes to exercise and I don't know where to start - and I am sure that just anyone from Yellow Pages won't do (even at the best of times)!

Before diagnosis in early March, I was active and part of rambling groups walking reasonable distances twice and sometimes three times a week. But since...because of lockdown/shielding and the side effects of the hormone therapy I don't get out much - and that I do not like. I'm 66 and in reasonable health otherwise, could do with losing some weight (and have gained some, of course, being at home).

Thanks in advance!

Mike

Edited by member 12 Jul 2020 at 13:47  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 11 Jul 2020 at 15:17

Mike,

I've PM'ed you the details of the Macmillan Cancer Care one I use, which is currently running over Zoom. It's a group session but she does adjustments for individual needs which she will discuss with you beforehand.

User
Posted 11 Jul 2020 at 15:59
Thanks Andy, you are a good man. Most grateful.You are a star!

I should have added in my post above that I am based in Wimbledon SW London.

Mike

User
Posted 14 Jul 2020 at 15:55

Hi Mike,  Andy's link sounds great.  I wonder if you look on YouTube.  There are some useful videos on there for almost everything. 

Exercising at home is hard work, I find.  You can buy machines but at the moment they're largely out of stock as a lot are buying them. 

If you have room a skipping rope is serious exercise once you've learnt to use it.  I bought one but found it hard work just doing a few without it catching on my feet and after getting so good as to reach 30 my heart was going at a fair rate.  Someone at the gym said I lift my legs too high but that's practice. 

Before they closed I used to go to the gym weekly and run a couple of miles on the treadmill so I'm not unfit.  If you have stairs they can be useful for exercise, the upper leg muscles are the biggest in your body and get your heart pumping but be careful if your heart isn't used to it, build it up.  

User
Posted 14 Jul 2020 at 16:03

Hi Peter, Many thanks for your kind suggestions which are most useful.

I followed up on Andy's suggestion and will be speaking to someone in the coming days.

This online community/support is really the business!

I'm used to exercise but not running or skipping! For me the big challenge is finding the right kind of exercise for my situation and getting pointed in the right direction.

I am not looking for someone to do everything for me just to make sure that the exercise regime is sensible and covers the main bases.

My diagnosis coincided with lockdown and the start of hormone therapy which knocked me for six so I stopped walking and swimming. I want to find a way to move forward that will keep me in as optimum condition as possible.

Well done on your exercise regime and taking up skipping!

Most grateful for your thoughts and kind suggestions!

Edited by member 14 Jul 2020 at 16:11  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 15 Jul 2020 at 22:05
I’m finding cycling to be a great way to lose the weight I put on during my HT and RT. You can do either gentle exercise or a really hard workout, depending how you’re feeling that day.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 15 Jul 2020 at 22:46
Dear Chris,

I am most grateful for your kind and helpful suggestions.

When you're a bit befuddled (I blame the HT) you don't think of the great ways of exercising. Thank you!

Cheers and best wishes,

Mike

User
Posted 18 Jul 2020 at 09:32

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
I’m finding cycling to be a great way to lose the weight I put on during my HT and RT. You can do either gentle exercise or a really hard workout, depending how you’re feeling that day.

Best wishes,

Chris

I also do cycling, and it has helped me maintain muscle, although I've still gained fat.

However, cycling isn't much use for maintaining bone density, which is also important while on hormone therapy. For that, I join a Macmillan trainer led session, which covers bone density, an exercising other muscles cycling misses.

User
Posted 18 Jul 2020 at 12:39
Great Andy!

...And that class I joined thanks, to you, was excellent and just what I needed to get me going.

Hopefully by the next session I will get my Zoom sorted (the problem was to do with me connecting a large monitor to my laptop) - I could see you all but you couldn't see me (or just in places). I am busy experimenting with Zoom over the weekend.

Take care,

Mike