Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Aspirin, bl**dy aspirin

User
Posted 18 Jul 2020 at 19:08

Hi all

So I have been doing low dose (50mg) aspirin for a while because of the alleged benefits.

I have also been suffering a rather bad form of IBS for a while. As you may know the gut is a large serotonin producer and has a lot of neural pathways up the body to the brain which is why you can get referred pain anywhere from the bowels up. I was having really bad referred pain in my abdomen and head.

I ran out of aspirin and the chemist was out. Like a lazy arse I left chasing it a few days. When I went in, they only had 75mg. I was hesitant to take that until I did more research as I did not know if that higher dose had any risks.

I noticed in the last few days, my IBS referred pain has subsided - a lot.

A light went off in my head - was I intolerant to aspirin? The evidence suggests this may be the case.

I am going to leave off aspirion for a while to see how things go and maybe go to ginger capsules as they have a similar effect.

So my point after all this rambling is that if you are getting any side effects in your body and are taking supplements, you may want to consider an elimination test to see if removing something improves things.

If it does, then look for something else as an alternative.

It goes without saying this should not be done for prescribed treatment!!

I hope this helps.

PP

User
Posted 25 Jul 2020 at 13:07

Thanks PP. I am now taking daily 75mg aspirin due to having had a clot. 
If I start getting any issues I’ll be at the door of my GP asking for an alternative.

Ido4

User
Posted 25 Jul 2020 at 14:21

Hi PP, 

Sorry to hear about the pain you've been suffering which may have been linked to you taking asprin.  I hope that you manage to sort that out. 

I have been on a daily dose of 75m of asprin for nearly 6 years now and have never had any problems.  That's fortunate as my treatment is for life now following my heart attack 6 years ago. 

Steve 

User
Posted 25 Aug 2020 at 14:38
Hi chaps

Didn't get a ping for this so late replying.

Ian

I gave up aspirin and the gave up chill sauce. My digestion issues are pretty much all gone but I do suffer badly with a digestive "go slow" if I eat late at night or eat anything like nuts. I think my system is just very sensitive now.

Steve

Yes. As stated above, pretty much sorted. I am trying raw ginger and banana smoothies as an alternative as ginger is supposed to be similarly useful and is also allegedly good for weight loss.

P