Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

RISING PSA AFTER CHEMO

User
Posted 07 Aug 2020 at 12:22

Hi,

Finished 6 cycles of chemo. last December.PSA readings after that under 1 with lowest PSA reading at 3 monthly appointments  0.78 in May. 

Had blood test yesterday and got a phone call to advise me the PSA has gone up to 6.Another blood test has been fixed for a weeks time to see how it is then.In the phone call the doctor said the six monthly hormone injections of Decapeptyl  I have been having (just had last one this Tuesday) may have affected result and I may need to come off 6 monthly injections and go on to 3 monthly hormone injections.

Has anybody else had similiar problems ? 

Regards

Norm

Edited by member 07 Aug 2020 at 14:32  | Reason: typos

User
Posted 08 Aug 2020 at 09:45

Norman

I can't help with your question, just bumping you up the list. A major fault of the site is new posts being missed due to the time stamping of the new conversations.

Hopefully someone can help.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 09 Aug 2020 at 22:27
Hi Norm, the onco may be thinking that the 6 monthly injection isn't lasting for quite the full 6 months so your cancer is getting an opportunity to feed just before the next injection is due. Moving to 3 monthly makes sense because they can react quicker if your PSA rises again, perhaps by adding bicalutimide to give the decapeptyl a boost or by adding abiraterone or enzalutimide.

Since the previous chemo worked so well, if the PSA continues to rise on the 3 monthly injection they may suggest trying chemo again.

One way or another, it is better to move to 3 monthly now I think.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 09 Aug 2020 at 22:32
Just as an afterthought, it sounds like you have a really good GP so it may be worth asking whether you could have a testosterone test with your next PSA just to check that you are below castrate level.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 09 Aug 2020 at 22:58

Hi Lyn,

Many thanks for your advice, it's really helpful.

Kind Regards

Norm