I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Radiotherapy after 4 years with PC

User
Posted 12 Aug 2020 at 23:02

Dad has been in alot of pain and difficulty in walking, we have known he has advanced PC a bone scan last week showed it had spread into groin and a show of cells on base of spine. The hospital rang today to say he is to have radiotherapy for five days. Has anyone got any advice or information on how it went for them and what side effects to expect etc many thanks a worried daughter Amanda 

Edited by member 13 Aug 2020 at 22:04  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 13 Aug 2020 at 12:19

Hi, I can't help but moving your post back to top of list to see if anyone else can.

Dave

User
Posted 13 Aug 2020 at 13:15
The radiotherapy will target the most significant bone tumours in the hope that the bones will be stabilised and pain is reduced. There shouldn't be any side effects as they aren't targeting the prostate bed or treating the actual cancer.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 16 Aug 2020 at 18:35

Hi Manda 

My dad has now had 2 RT treatments for mets in his spine. The first time it really helped to manage his pain. Second time, not so much. He didn’t have any side effects other than tiredness but he’s tired all the time so not sure we can put it down to the RT. In his experience it was a really quick, painless treatment. 

I hope it helps with your dads pain x

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 13 Aug 2020 at 12:19

Hi, I can't help but moving your post back to top of list to see if anyone else can.

Dave

User
Posted 13 Aug 2020 at 13:15
The radiotherapy will target the most significant bone tumours in the hope that the bones will be stabilised and pain is reduced. There shouldn't be any side effects as they aren't targeting the prostate bed or treating the actual cancer.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 16 Aug 2020 at 18:35

Hi Manda 

My dad has now had 2 RT treatments for mets in his spine. The first time it really helped to manage his pain. Second time, not so much. He didn’t have any side effects other than tiredness but he’s tired all the time so not sure we can put it down to the RT. In his experience it was a really quick, painless treatment. 

I hope it helps with your dads pain x

User
Posted 16 Aug 2020 at 20:22
Thank you so much for taking the time to comment, I think it's all about what is next and how to deal with it, and the unknown! no one likes to see their dad in so much pain. I will tell him this I'm sure it will reassure him thank you again good wishes to you and your dad. x