I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Dad - recent diagnosis

User
Posted 13 Aug 2020 at 19:48

Hi everyone. My dad has recently been diagnosed with prostate cancer which has spread to his bones and possibly his liver. Trying to wade through jargon to figure it all out. He’s started hormone therapy today... taking a tablet starting with B... and then he’s to have injections every three or six months. It’s all so early that we have no idea what is going to happen just yet. 
does anyone have any words of wisdom or experience on what we could expect in the next few months? 

thanks. Xx

User
Posted 13 Aug 2020 at 22:36

Hi Sarah,
Sorry you find yourself here.

As Dave says, the tablets will be Bicalutamide which you might only take while starting the injections, and the injection will be Decapeptyl if it's 6-monthly, or if 3-monthly, Zoladex, Prostap, or Decapeptyl.

These drugs are to switch off testosterone production, because it's testosterone which drives prostate cancer growth. This should cause PSA to drop as the cancer activity reduces. If he's fit enough, he will probably be offered chemotherapy too when the PSA has dropped. This keeps the cancer activity lower for longer.

After that, you hope for a long period where things just stay as they are, while he stays on hormone therapy.

If he's up to it, it's highly recommended that he undertakes exercise - this is very beneficial for men on hormone therapy in lessening side effects, and possibly slowing cancer progression. He should also talk with his oncologist or GP about taking calcium and vitamin D supplements to protect against osteoporosis.

Edited by member 13 Aug 2020 at 22:38  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 13 Aug 2020 at 22:38

Those three weeks will have been no fun at all, a load of medics sticking pins in him etc. And add on covid so you can only see half the person's face, hospital's are not much fun at the best of times. I would say they seem to have got things done quite quickly, I suspect they have been told to start getting these services back up and running and your dad got through with no one in the queue ahead of him. 

Hormone therapy is quite effective, it doesn't kill the cancer, but it sort of puts it to sleep for a while, so it will still be in his bones and liver but not growing and getting worse. Sadly after a while the cancer wakes up, but then they can try another hormone treatment, then they can move on to chemotherapy etc.

A big thing to consider is quality of life (QoL) He has to make the best of his life from now on, things will get tougher, it may take many years, but it may be only a few. Some people on this forum who are only in their 50's have drawn a line at some of the treatments and accepted a shorter life rather than the side effects of the more aggressive treatments.

When cancer spreads it is said to have metastasised (I think I have spelt that correctly) each additional bit of cancer may be called a "met". So if you hear a medic say he has one or two mets that is less bad than if they say he has loads of mets. 

Keep us informed, if you find his psa let us know. Also after he's been on the hormones a few months they will do another psa test make a note of that, it should be a big drop. 

Dave

User
Posted 16 Aug 2020 at 18:29

Hi Sarah

My dad was also diagnosed with PC when he was 73, which had spread to his spine and pelvis. His PSA was 82 with a Gleason score of 9 (which means it’s aggressive). We were told it was ‘treatable but not curable’. Due to other health issues he wasn’t a candidate for chemo or other treatments. That was over 4 years ago now and he’s still going strong. He responded brilliantly to the hormone therapy. However this has now stopped working as effectively and he has been put on an additional hormone to boost his 3 monthly injections. It’s now just a matter of pain relief for him. Some of the threads on here gave me great comfort when dad had his initial diagnosis. Some men live for a number of years with the right treatment plan. I hope the hormone treatment works just as well for your dad as it has for mine ❤️

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 13 Aug 2020 at 20:14

Hi Sarah, yes you will find a tremendous amount of help here. I'll start of with saying the tablet is probably Bicalutamide, he'll probably be on it for two to three weeks and his first injection will be about a week or two before he stops the bicalutamide.

Do you happen to know his PSA result? It will be a number usually between 1 and several hundred if not thousands.

The hormone therapy usually stops the cancer in its tracks, but sadly not for very long, sometimes months but usually a few years. 

How old is your dad? I'm sorry to say that if the cancer has spread, it is unlikely to be cured but may be manageable. I think we have had a few members live more than ten years with cancer that has already spread (metastatic - is the jargon word for that)

I'm sorry you find yourself here, but we will help you. 

Dave

User
Posted 13 Aug 2020 at 20:23

Hi. Thank you for your reply Yes we know it’s not curable but the Drs have said it can be managed. I’m afraid I don’t know what his psa levels are but I know it is what kicked it all off in the first place. He’s had bone scans, liver biopsy and prostate biopsy (which he says he never wants to go through ever again!!!) All this in the last three weeks. 
Hes 80. 
xx

User
Posted 13 Aug 2020 at 22:36

Hi Sarah,
Sorry you find yourself here.

As Dave says, the tablets will be Bicalutamide which you might only take while starting the injections, and the injection will be Decapeptyl if it's 6-monthly, or if 3-monthly, Zoladex, Prostap, or Decapeptyl.

These drugs are to switch off testosterone production, because it's testosterone which drives prostate cancer growth. This should cause PSA to drop as the cancer activity reduces. If he's fit enough, he will probably be offered chemotherapy too when the PSA has dropped. This keeps the cancer activity lower for longer.

After that, you hope for a long period where things just stay as they are, while he stays on hormone therapy.

If he's up to it, it's highly recommended that he undertakes exercise - this is very beneficial for men on hormone therapy in lessening side effects, and possibly slowing cancer progression. He should also talk with his oncologist or GP about taking calcium and vitamin D supplements to protect against osteoporosis.

Edited by member 13 Aug 2020 at 22:38  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 13 Aug 2020 at 22:38

Those three weeks will have been no fun at all, a load of medics sticking pins in him etc. And add on covid so you can only see half the person's face, hospital's are not much fun at the best of times. I would say they seem to have got things done quite quickly, I suspect they have been told to start getting these services back up and running and your dad got through with no one in the queue ahead of him. 

Hormone therapy is quite effective, it doesn't kill the cancer, but it sort of puts it to sleep for a while, so it will still be in his bones and liver but not growing and getting worse. Sadly after a while the cancer wakes up, but then they can try another hormone treatment, then they can move on to chemotherapy etc.

A big thing to consider is quality of life (QoL) He has to make the best of his life from now on, things will get tougher, it may take many years, but it may be only a few. Some people on this forum who are only in their 50's have drawn a line at some of the treatments and accepted a shorter life rather than the side effects of the more aggressive treatments.

When cancer spreads it is said to have metastasised (I think I have spelt that correctly) each additional bit of cancer may be called a "met". So if you hear a medic say he has one or two mets that is less bad than if they say he has loads of mets. 

Keep us informed, if you find his psa let us know. Also after he's been on the hormones a few months they will do another psa test make a note of that, it should be a big drop. 

Dave

User
Posted 16 Aug 2020 at 18:29

Hi Sarah

My dad was also diagnosed with PC when he was 73, which had spread to his spine and pelvis. His PSA was 82 with a Gleason score of 9 (which means it’s aggressive). We were told it was ‘treatable but not curable’. Due to other health issues he wasn’t a candidate for chemo or other treatments. That was over 4 years ago now and he’s still going strong. He responded brilliantly to the hormone therapy. However this has now stopped working as effectively and he has been put on an additional hormone to boost his 3 monthly injections. It’s now just a matter of pain relief for him. Some of the threads on here gave me great comfort when dad had his initial diagnosis. Some men live for a number of years with the right treatment plan. I hope the hormone treatment works just as well for your dad as it has for mine ❤️