Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Groin pain worse after second hormone injection

User
Posted 26 Aug 2020 at 23:53

Hi all,

My dad is on hormone treatment for prostate  cancer which has spread to the pelvic bones and right femur. 

He initially had quite a lot of pain in his pelvis but he had one dose of radiotherapy about three months ago and that cured the pain.

Last week, however, he had his second hormone injection and the pelvic pain has returned. It's not as severe or frequent as before but it's there. His PSA has also risen by 3ng/ml in 3 months. We have to wait a few weeks to see the oncologist but I'm wondering if the pelvic pain at least  might just be a side effect of the Decapeptyl injection (22.5mg)?

Thank you.

Rosalie.

User
Posted 27 Aug 2020 at 21:59

Can anyone help ??

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 27 Aug 2020 at 22:29
Where in his body did they place the hormone implant?
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 27 Aug 2020 at 23:09

They gave the injection in the left buttock but the pain in the groin is on the right side (where it was before the radiotherapy) and spreading around the back of his hip joint. 

It's quite severe this evening. He has an oncology appointment next Wednesday.

User
Posted 27 Aug 2020 at 23:47
Joint pain and abdominal pain are common side effects of decapeptyl - speak to the GP or oncology nurse to let them know what is happening and ask about adjusting the pain meds.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 27 Aug 2020 at 23:55

Thanks! We'll do that on Wednesday. I just didn't think he'd have pain in the groin/pelvis again after having radiotherapy especially to treat pain in that area in the first place.

It's all such a learning curve. One I'd rather never have to be on, but I appreciate the help of others who are on that journey too.

User
Posted 28 Aug 2020 at 11:11
Radiotherapy doesn't treat pain, it just zaps the tumour a bit to try to reduce the pressure.