Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Minimal Lower Back pain

User
Posted 31 Aug 2020 at 14:38

I have found this site so helpful.

I had my Robotic Prostatectomy on last Monday morning at the brilliant Royal Marsden and left the following day 15.00.

Thankfully, I have virtually no pain and am getting very busy again. Not having been inside a hospital for 60 years I am relieved it has all been so smooth. I am not going to bother the staff over something quite trivial but a couple of days before the op I picked up a heavy object and strained a lower back muscle. That seems to have faded into insignificance but post op I do feel a slight pain on certain movements. Could this result from the contorted position that the op requires?

By the way, one piece of advice I am pleased I ignored was that of getting multiple other opinions. I am so glad I followed my intuition on this rather than embarking upon a clinical trial....but that's just my feeling.

User
Posted 31 Aug 2020 at 20:28
Could be trapped wind - often felt between the shoulder blades or mid spine - or remnants of twinges from the heavy lifting but the most common cause of back pain post-op is the spinal block / epidural entry point - it may have just jangled some nerves. Back pain after spinal anaesthetic is very common but for most people, temporary.

Be careful not to overdo things - you may not have much pain and can see only very small surface wounds but your insides have been cut, slashed and burnt. It is a major op and overdoing it now (particularly by lifting / pushing) can cause a hernia.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 31 Aug 2020 at 20:33

Hi Justin, I'm glad it is all going well for you. TAKE IT EASY. I didn't have surgery so can't offer much direct help, but TAKE IT EASY. You've just had quite significant surgery, and it sounds like your ready to get up and go, that is good, but listen to your body if it says "that hurts a bit then" stop for a while.

BTW if you put your PSA scores, gleason score and TNM staging in your profile it helps people compare their own experience with yours. 

Dave

User
Posted 31 Aug 2020 at 20:38

Many thanks, Dave....good advice and my wife keeps telling me that it's not like having a tooth out.

I will put in my Gleason which was evaluated as 3+3 and T2 but the surgeon. My PSA which lead to my biopsy was 4 having doubled in a year

User
Posted 31 Aug 2020 at 20:40

Thanks Lyn,

I think it could be the injection as it is a bit sore still.

Good advice on the lifting and pushing and I think I will slow a bit as tend to get a bit tired