I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Biopsy Result-ATYPICAL

User
Posted 24 Sep 2020 at 12:44

I had my biopsy results two days ago. The urologist said cells were "ATYPICAL". Anyone there had the same results? And what about further actions/biopsies etc? Please comment. Thanks

User
Posted 24 Sep 2020 at 16:14
Did you get a written copy of the biopsy results or were you told verbally? What else did they say?

Atypical could mean that there was cancer, or that there were pre-cancerous cells or that there was evidence of an infection.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 25 Sep 2020 at 10:04

Definitely worth asking for a copy of the biopsy - histology report. Clinicians often give a simplified version to patients. I’m a data man so want what they get from the lab. You are entitled to see it so don’t be shy to ask. It should be a simple process to either email across, access via NHS Direct or they can print it out for you at the GP’s.

Simon

User
Posted 26 Sep 2020 at 18:04
Not without more information - 'cells are atypical' and 'would need surveillance' could mean that you have a very small amount of low risk prostate cancer or it could mean that you have some PIN - this means that the prostate cells are a bit distorted but not yet cancerous.

Does the letter mention anything about Gleason, benign, malignant, PIN, LIKERT or PI-RADS?
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 27 Sep 2020 at 15:20
Okay, well it seems that they didn't find any cancer this time but believe that you should be monitored in case it develops in the future. Depends on your GP but often, the advice is to continue with annual PSA tests and be referred back to urology if the PSA rises.
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 24 Sep 2020 at 16:14
Did you get a written copy of the biopsy results or were you told verbally? What else did they say?

Atypical could mean that there was cancer, or that there were pre-cancerous cells or that there was evidence of an infection.
User
Posted 24 Sep 2020 at 22:10

I had a phone call. She said I will need another blood test in November. Further treatment would be discussed after blood test result

User
Posted 25 Sep 2020 at 10:04

Definitely worth asking for a copy of the biopsy - histology report. Clinicians often give a simplified version to patients. I’m a data man so want what they get from the lab. You are entitled to see it so don’t be shy to ask. It should be a simple process to either email across, access via NHS Direct or they can print it out for you at the GP’s.

Simon

User
Posted 26 Sep 2020 at 16:45
I have their letter. Briefly, it says "Wold require PSA Surveillance". Can someone throw more light on this? Thanks. Much appreciated
User
Posted 26 Sep 2020 at 18:04
Not without more information - 'cells are atypical' and 'would need surveillance' could mean that you have a very small amount of low risk prostate cancer or it could mean that you have some PIN - this means that the prostate cells are a bit distorted but not yet cancerous.

Does the letter mention anything about Gleason, benign, malignant, PIN, LIKERT or PI-RADS?
User
Posted 27 Sep 2020 at 12:19

Thank you very much. The letter doesnt mention any thing about gelson score. It only says "One core on the left showing atypical cells. He would require PSA surveillance"- She also mentioned the consultant may consider another biopsy at a later date"

User
Posted 27 Sep 2020 at 15:20
Okay, well it seems that they didn't find any cancer this time but believe that you should be monitored in case it develops in the future. Depends on your GP but often, the advice is to continue with annual PSA tests and be referred back to urology if the PSA rises.
User
Posted 28 Sep 2020 at 10:58

Hi Lyne, Your reply gives me a lot of hope and cleared some of my fears. This warning gives me a chance to improve my lifestyle, diet and drinking habits.

Thnak you very much