Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Blood transfusions in end stage cancer

User
Posted 25 Sep 2020 at 19:39

Hello

I wanted to ask if anyone had experience of the frequency of blood transfusions for someone with advanced/end stage prostate cancer?

My dad had a blood transfusion about 3 weeks, following a request from us to test for anemia (he started Abiraterone end of July so fortnightly blood tests but they don’t test for that) which did show he needed one, he spent 7 hrs in hospital getting one (quite happily strangely!) and while the transfusion did not help with fatigue he certainly seemed a bit better ie less grey and a bit more energy.

so my question is should we be asking for another one? 

sorry I don’t have any other results but just trying to do our best for our dad.

anne

xx

User
Posted 25 Sep 2020 at 22:54
My dad had several when he was in the later stages, they always helped him.
User
Posted 25 Sep 2020 at 23:49

Hello

thank you for your reply.

can I ask if your dad’s transfusions were a regular thing? We are really not sure and the Macmillan nurse has not indicated whether he would get another one.... it seems the fortnightly blood tests he has currently while on Abiraterone are not full blood tests and do not cover anemia unless we ask!

thanks

xx

User
Posted 26 Sep 2020 at 02:42

Given he's had anemia, and assuming no cause for it has been fixed, I think it's perfectly reasonable to ask that they monitor his hemoglobin levels.

There are many different things which can cause anemia at this stage. There are drugs which can help the body make more hemoglobin, but I've no idea if they would be appropriate at this time with the other medications and medical conditions.

User
Posted 26 Sep 2020 at 10:03

Anne, my dad had three transfusions spaced about a month apart.  The first two helped but he felt no better after the third one so the doc said they wouldn't give him any more.

User
Posted 26 Sep 2020 at 12:53

My oh had one in hospital but none after that.

User
Posted 26 Sep 2020 at 13:27

Thank you everyone for your replies - much appreciated.

I will check with the nurse to see if they are taking a full blood count when he gets his fortnightly blood tests. Hopefully they will be monitoring the anemia now he has had a transfusion.

xx