I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Life 6 Months Post Treatment

User
Posted 30 Sep 2020 at 12:42

So approximately 20 months after completing HDR brachy and 15 sessions of radiotherapy and 7 months since ceasing hormone therapy (12 months of Zoladex followed by 6 months of Bicalutamide 150mg daily) for G9 cancer, PSA now 0.1 and testosterone up to 6 (just outside normal range)

I am feeling much less fatigued now and hot flushes at night gradually diminishing. Still ongoing issue with nocturia but think I can improve that by trying to lose a bit of weight which I put on during the hormone therapy treatment period.

Next blood tests in 6 months’ time

User
Posted 30 Sep 2020 at 23:28

Great update Jon. There is a new member asking for experiences like yours - he would probably be very appreciative of your help:-

https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t26703-BrachyEbrtHt---how-might-it-change-my-quality-of-daily-life#post246637

Edited by member 30 Sep 2020 at 23:29  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 30 Sep 2020 at 23:34

Hi Jon, thanks for the update, your diagnosis and treatment is almost identical to mine. Glad your psa is low. My next psa test is two months away, I'm not sure if they will be testing testosterone, but I think mine needs a wake up call. 

Dave

User
Posted 01 Oct 2020 at 09:47

Hi Dave,

Personally I think it's quite important to get testosterone levels checked post treatment. My surgery won't do this, but fortunately the hospital does.

In my case actually for a couple of months after finishing with hormone therapy, hot flushes actually became more erratic and worse, but eventually settled down and are now diminishing altogether.

It was around the 5 month mark post hormone therapy, that I began to notice more hair growth on arms and legs, less fatigue, and a return of libido.

User
Posted 01 Oct 2020 at 09:48

Hi Lyn,

Thank you for your response. I have also followed up on the other thread.

User
Posted 01 Oct 2020 at 10:00

Hi Jon01, 

Glad all seems to be going well so far.

I had HDR Brachy and RT, finishing in Aug ‘18. Last HT injection Oct ‘19.

My PSA is now 1.2 and T is 5.5 so your 0.1 and 6 is excellent.

Good luck

Phil

User
Posted 01 Oct 2020 at 10:56

If you want your T level checked when you have a blood test what I do is scrawl "Testosterone" on the blood request form below PSA.

My Onco includes

Biochemistry Profile (includes U+E's & LFT's) [F1]

Full blood count/Differential [CD]

PSA

User
Posted 01 Oct 2020 at 13:58

I often suggest here people should get testosterone added to their PSA tests while coming off hormone therapy.

I meant to ask my oncologist to do this too, but I forgot. However, in the letter to my GP, he has said to include testosterone from when my last injection expires (Christmas), and in the PSA test 3 months after that, he's added a whole load of extra blood tests, including some I've never had before, such as bone profile.

User
Posted 01 Oct 2020 at 17:32

My GP refused to test testosterone when I finished HT. He complained about the cost! 

Ido4

User
Posted 01 Oct 2020 at 17:46

Ive only ever had PSA and Testosterone checked , nothing else.

I get the blood test forms from the hospital so GP has no say in it. Plus the hospital ran me off a few so I have spares if I need.

Mind you the surgery phoned to make sure I still needed the Tadalafil. I then got the hospital to write to the GP to say I should have it. No idea how I will know if I don’t need it anymore ....

Phil

User
Posted 01 Oct 2020 at 18:28

I also get the blood test forms from the hospital, however always ask the nurse at my GP when doing the blood test to put the PSA test through the GP practice. This them allows me to see the result on my GP medical records online prior to the appointment with the oncologist.

My GP is ok with this, but won't put the testosterone through due to cost, so I have to remember to ask the oncologist for this result.

The GP at my annual MOT check up always does a whole range of blood tests taking into account my previous cancer treatment and age, etc.