I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Changing Abiraterone to enzalutamide in 1st 3 months?

User
Posted 01 Oct 2020 at 20:31

Hello

my dad had advanced prostate cancer for past 2 years (diagnosed anyway but probably longer) which did ok on 6 monthly hormone injections for past 12 to 18 months. This spring blood tests etc showed issues, along with symptoms such as extreme fatigue, pelvic pain, breathlessness, swollen foot etc.

Scans etc in May showed cancer has spread to lymph nodes (possibly bone but not sure as parents keeping details to themselves!) and was put forward for Abiraterone... finally started this end of July but tbh quite a decline in health, mobility in those 2 months, and now losing mobility and strength fast.

have been advised that my dad should have another month on Abiraterone, get a scan, and then they will decide what to do.

I am not a doctor...but have watched my dad slowly decline past 2 to 3 months, very weak, hardly able to move much, loss of appetite and digestive issues, increasing pain, swollen leg from Lymphoedema...so I would say the Abiraterone is not working, in fact he seems worse since on it.

so I would like to ask if anyone has experience of early failure with Abiraterone and then moved onto enzalutamide in 1st 3 months? We are in Scotland.

just hoping against the odds that we can get some treatment that works for a while - it’s all so shocking, this time last year my dad was walking 2 to 3 hours a day and working in garden, he has no other health issues ie healthy heart, lungs, kidney etc but I guess when cancer comes it comes.

anne

xx

User
Posted 02 Oct 2020 at 01:10
Sorry Anne, it is so hard to see someone decline so quickly. I am not sure the 3 month rule applies in Scotland; it might only be a rule in England so worth asking the doctors after the next scan.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 02 Oct 2020 at 02:28

Hi Lyn

Thank you for your reply. Yes it’s really horrible the whole situation, made worse by Covid.

They had to double his morphine tablet dose this week as his pain is increasing.

I guess we just have to wait another month and then see what the scan says and see if the consultant can offer anything else.

I am dreading this as I don’t think it will be good news at all.

anne

x