I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

PSA recurrence

User
Posted 13 Nov 2020 at 15:05

Hi After finishing two and half years of hormone treatment November 2019, my PSA in February 2020 was 0.008

Blood test in September 2020 was 0.035

Dr said he will give another blood test in January

Does this mean PC is on its way back

Keep safe

Phil

User
Posted 13 Nov 2020 at 16:58

Phil

Most likely Testosterone recovering hence PSA rise in healthy cells. Check my profile to see how it can move about.

Good on your GP for being cautious.

Ray

Edited by member 13 Nov 2020 at 17:01  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 13 Nov 2020 at 17:35
Phil,

Too early to be over concerned. Rise could be due to a number of things. Consider next PSA in Jan and perhaps another after that to check trend and extent of any further rises.
Barry
User
Posted 13 Nov 2020 at 18:23

You have said in your post that your latest PSA is 0.035 but in your profile you have written 0.35. Which is correct?

As Ray says, the PSA rises as the hormone treatment wears off - as long as your PSA stays below 2.01 it's fine.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 14 Nov 2020 at 10:46

Yes sorry it should read 0.35. Just had good look at copy of letter from consultant to gp.It says rise does not meet criteria for biochemical relapse. Can anyone explain that to me please.

Thank you all

Stay safe and well

Phil

User
Posted 14 Nov 2020 at 11:06

Hi Phil, the definition of biochemical recurrence after radiotherapy is your nadir (0.008 in your case I think) + 2. Your PSA is well below 2.008 so you seem to be fine.

Because you still have a prostate some PSA will be generated.

If you have your prostate removed then the definition is different.

See below

15.6.2 After radiotherapy, a rising PSA level, rather than specific threshold value, is the most reliable sign of persistent or recurrent disease (biochemical relapse is usually defined as Nadir serum PSA value + 2ng/ml).

https://www.england.nhs.uk/mids-east/wp-content/uploads/sites/7/2018/05/guidelines-for-the-management-of-prostate-cancer.pdf

Best wishes,

Ido4

User
Posted 14 Nov 2020 at 16:09

As my nadir was so low referral point is set at 2 (rather than decimal points above that). However as ido4 points out and consultants over these past years is how I reach 2. Steady increases being more relevant than spikes.

I note you're 1 year younger than I. So if and when I would start what they envisage to be IHT (Intermittent Hormone Therapy) is something I would need to consider.

Ray

Edited by member 14 Nov 2020 at 16:10  | Reason: Not specified