Show search

Notification

Error

PSA rise: outlook and options

User
Posted 25 Nov 2020 at 14:56

Hello, wise ones

Found it difficult to update my profile, but short story long:

RP in February 2018, PSA stable at 3 monthly intervals until February  2019 at <0.03

July 2019 was detectableat 0.03, February 2020 <0.03, July 2020  0.03

Now November 2020, it is 0.05

Clearly a rise, and rate is difficult to define, next appointment for PSA is in Feb 2021.

Anyone shed any light on what to expect and in what time frame?

Really worried and disappointed, as what seemed like stable PSA within margins of machine sensitivity looks like an active rise, just not sure what happens next.

Thanks ....

Clearly PSA is rising,

User
Posted 25 Nov 2020 at 15:31

Hi,

It's easy to understand your concern although it isn't certain there is a problem.  That your psa has gone up and down twice means it isn't a definite trend.

Usually they wait until you have three increasing readings over 0.1 or reach 0.2 before they offer more treatment.  Unless they think there are other reasons that make Radiotherapy worthwhile.

I'd think they'll want you to carry on with 3 monthly tests.

At 0.05 a scan is unlikely find anything either.  Many people are only told if it's above 0.1, their measure is <0.1 which is to prevent such concerns.

Doubling is a measure often regarded as an indicator.  But at 0.03/0.05 I'm not sure it's too low to know.   

If is is higher next time it could be definite but it might still be 0.05.   It doesn't help the worrying, I once had a high test but it turned out to be a false measure as I took it at another hospital.   The hospital I normally use repeated the test a week later and it was alright.   The tests aren't always right anyway.  I think if it was me I'd be trying to get another test in early although 3 months is quite close for detecting change.

All the best,
Peter   

Edited by member 25 Nov 2020 at 15:34  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 25 Nov 2020 at 17:45
You are worrying unnecessarily. There are so many possible explanations for the apparent rise - your body may simply be settling into its new normal PSA generated by healthy cells. The tests may be being processed at different labs because the usual lab is dealing just with COVID. The lab may have had all their machines recalibrated in between this test and the last one. You might have a bit of infection.

This is exactly why many trusts have stopped offering ultrasensitive PSA tests; the results are not always reliable and the distress caused outweighs the benefits.

If the PSA goes above 0.1 and then continues to rise your urologist should refer you to oncology but why worry and feel disappointed before you have a problem?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 25 Nov 2020 at 18:17
Our billion pound super hospital here in Coventry only tests to 0.1, so <0.1 is considered undetectable.

For all I know I might have had minuscule variations like you, over the last two and a half years, but ignorance is bliss!

My next test is Friday ...🤞

Cheers, John.