Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

ED and exercise

User
Posted 29 Nov 2020 at 22:09

Hello all

I have 2 questions to ask please, I have gone thorugh the forum, but couldnt see specific answers

RP 15 months ago, localised didnt need anything else.

ED still a problem, but am told will be upto 2 years before I see any difference.

I also leak a bit when aroused and some erection achieved - rarely but does happen. Will this also improve? I still have some incontinence when I drink or go for long walks othrewise pretty dry

My other question - I do resistance exercises and have done squat with weights before. I have started to do tose again. Will this impeded my ED recovery?

User
Posted 29 Nov 2020 at 23:49
Squats and weight lifting cannot impede your ED recovery although it may make your incontinence seem worse. If the only time you are really leaking is under duress, then it is your pelvic floor that needs more work rather than a mechanical problem due to the RP.

What are you doing to maintain penile health? Are you using meds to get an erection or doing it naturally?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 30 Nov 2020 at 09:47
As Lyn says you should be doing something to rehab your willy if he is not working as well as you would like.

The leaking on arousal was my experience too and not something I was warned about! This can have a negative feedback effect on your erection too as I have yet to find a woman who enjoys being p****d on!

So what to do about it? Well the good news for me is it has got better over time so 5 years years down the line and with the help of a cock ring (Essential kit for post prostatectomy!) I enjoy sex again without to many unfortunate incidents! Watch out for the booze though it helps in moderation but will ultimately lead to wetting yourself!

User
Posted 30 Nov 2020 at 09:58

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Hello all

ED still a problem, but am told will be upto 2 years before I see any difference.

It often happens way before two years and often happens after a lot longer. I am six and a half years post "supposedly" non nerve sparing RARP, three plus years post salvage RT and still improving. Never give up, try everything on offer and fight for things that are not.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 30 Nov 2020 at 16:32

Thank you for your replies Lyn, Chris and Franciji

Lyn, you have answered many of my panicky questions following my surgery 15 months ago and still are doing the same. I am sure there are many grateful patients like myself in this forum. You are a star and thank you again.

WRT Penile rehabilitation, I take Tadalafil 2.5 mg daily. I also have soma erect use it once/twice a week mainly to rehabilitate, couldn't  quite use the ring to achieve penetration. 

WRT pelvic floor, I dont do anything specific. Did Kegels for about 6 months and when the incontinence didnt improve, I gave up. I still have the reminders come up on NHS squeezy app. Any merit in restarting them now? Will this help with incontinence (or help with ED).

Good to know squatting wont impede ED recovery. I have been very careful, didnt ride a bike for 8 months and then bought a special saddle.

My surgeon quoted this before surgery: never assume you will be back to normal! That had put my mind at peace to some extent, but I want to do all I can.

User
Posted 30 Nov 2020 at 17:32

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
Did Kegels for about 6 months and when the incontinence didnt improve, I gave up. I still have the reminders come up on NHS squeezy app. Any merit in restarting them now? Will this help with incontinence (or help with ED).

Yes, yes, yes! Any woman that has had children will tell you that Kegels / PFEs just become part of the rest of your life ... like any muscle, if it isn't used regularly it loses strength. 

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 30 Nov 2020 at 18:54

I had 2 surprises after the op.   

One was that after I went to the loo and zipped up there was often a bit of urine left behind waiting to come out.  The hospital sent a questionnaire after my op and this was one of the questions so it must be fairly common.   

The other is the arousal leak.  I don't get much of an erection but it often feels like I have.  I still get the initial arousal feeling in the groin but I know that when I get it there is probably some leakage.   It seems to happen more sometimes than others, even now.  Even if I go to the loo first there is no guarantee.   It can happen walking down the street if you start thinking about stuff.  It makes you realise how often you are aroused without being aware of it and it makes you more aware of what arouses you.

With both of the above I've managed to improve control of it myself without assistance and now it has to be a very good arousal to get a leak.

I thought that because it only happens at the initial urge that it would be easier to control but it seems to be part of a basic instinct.  Something signals and it has a physical effect.

As for squats I'd feel sure they do some good for incontinence, even though they aren't the prescribed exercise, but doubt they help ED.   Although squats can raise the pulse probably better than most exercises, which helps the heart and circulation which helps everything.   They say.

User
Posted 30 Nov 2020 at 19:44
After weeing I still point him completely up even after 5 1/2 yrs post surgery. Never in the history of earth has water flowed upwards :/))

Just tuck him in upwards. As for kegels plenty of evidence they work but I believe there is a degree of luck or no luck in surgery.

And oh yes the arousal thing !!!! For months after surgery I was totally dry , but faced with some open legs he just lost it somehow. And the odd cheeky thought could let him go. It passed for sure , kegels or not. I’m now fine