I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Full diagnosis any advice or similar stories would be helpful

User
Posted 30 Nov 2020 at 19:28

Hi to all you good brave people, can anyone advise me further now i have the full diagnosis? I brought the book surviving prostate cancer recommended to me though this kind group and its raised more questions than answered them to be honest. If I'm also honest has scared me a bit of how serious this is that 39 years old. Am on ADT with chemo due to start in January 2021 with radiation to follow. The obvious hope that surgery would have been my first choice but seems that of the table to me here in the uk even though i have private healthcare. To be honest I'm s*** scared as I have a wife and daughter of 8 years and am worried for them more than myself. Any advice would be much appreciated and thanks to you all in advance

Prostate carcinoma - clinically T3 PSA 25.2 repeated 23.2 MRI September 2020 T3b N1 Tp biopsy (20.09.2020) right 4/14 cores 4+3 4mm left 12/12 cores 4+5 14mm total 16/26 Bone scan 15.09.2020 and CT 15.09.2020 left adrenal adenoma Benign bone lesion left SIJ/Iliac nodal disease left pelvis PSMA scan 26.09.2020 activity in prostate pelvic nodes to paraortic at the level of L2 No specific changes in axilla and left SCF Neo adjuvant/adjuvant homones started 30.09.2020 to continue

For upfront chemotherapy likely Taxotere

User
Posted 01 Dec 2020 at 08:43

Hi AJames 

Sorry you are going through this crap.

It is a very stressful and worrying time for you and we are going through the same.

My partner Barry is 53.He had psa of 675 at diagnosis and the cancer had spread to the neck  of his bladder and potentially is in one pelvic lymph node.

He had the same regime that you are going to have and is to remain on hormone therapy for at least 2-3years but maybe for life.

Barry  has just finished Radiotherapy worst side effects urinating more and a little tired towards the end .

He did very well while having Chemotherapy and had  few side effects.Insomnia and tiredness were the worse ones.

Barry exercised every day going for long walks sometimes in the middle of the night 😂.Even when he was tired he made himself go out .It will be harder to do this through the winter.

He was very positive throughout .

He also has faith but I know this Is not everyone’s cup it tea .

Good luck and try and be positive which I know can be hard.

Edited by member 01 Dec 2020 at 08:57  | Reason: Not finished

User
Posted 01 Dec 2020 at 13:42

So sorry to read your diagnosis. A cancer diagnosis is a shock at any age but at 39 years old having prostate cancer is very difficult.

Your treatment path seems to be the right one for your diagnosis. There are many here who will help and advise. If your looking for inspiration then you could do a lot worse than looking at Irun’s profile.

Best wishes.

Ido4

User
Posted 01 Dec 2020 at 18:26

Hi,  Sorry to read your story.  I can't offer real advice but it seems they're giving you the full treatment.   3 months hormones, chemo, radiotherapy, followed likely by more hormones.   Radiotherapy can reach places surgery doesn't   and has similar outcomes it's claimed.

We're all different but I didn't get anything more than verbal accounts and didn't feel inclined to ask for too many details.  When you read the medical terms in your write up it can sound daunting but to get the best outcome a fuller analysis is no doubt better especially if it's a more complex case.   At your age they're likely to offer treatment they might not to an older person who is classed as more likely to be hit by something else.

Good luck with the radiotherapy.

All the best,
Peter