I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Raising funds for prostate cancer uk

User
Posted 02 Dec 2020 at 07:26

I don't know if this is allowed but I will give it a go. In 2014 I published  a small book which was a reproduction of an autograph book kept by my great aunt in the period before ww1 and during the war.. She was a nursing sister in the territorial force and it gives a brief history of her life. I sell this book to raise funds and am now selling them for £5 plus p/p £3.50. The book is of good quality in a ring binder and has entries in Welsh and English.

If anyone would like one could they send me a private message. I can only accept cheques or postal orders for correct amount. The money for the book will be given to prostate cancer uk. I make no profit out of this at all but felt it was a way to honour my great aunt and help a good cause.

My late husband supported my efforts in preparing the book which involved quite a lot of research.

Edited by member 03 Dec 2020 at 19:02  | Reason: Spelling errors

User
Posted 08 Oct 2021 at 23:32
Just to let any new members know that the book is still available and to reduce my stock I am selling them for £3 plus £3.50 p/p

All the money goes to Prostate Cancer UK.

To those of you who supported us as G went through his cancer experiences, a big thank you.

Reading current posts, I wonder if he would have survived for longer if he had had different treatments but it is no use torturing myself with those thoughts. He did so well for so long but being given the news that his condition deteriorated so rapidly devastated us both.

It is good to read that many people are surviving for longer with different combinations of treatments now.

I only come on the site sometimes now. I am living as well as I can without my fabulous guy but miss him very much.

User
Posted 15 Oct 2021 at 08:17
Gill, getting from day to day is enough, don’t put pressure on yourself to do more, all progress is progress.

Take care, Janet

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 03 Dec 2020 at 00:35
What a lovely thing to do Gillyflower xxx
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 08 Oct 2021 at 23:32
Just to let any new members know that the book is still available and to reduce my stock I am selling them for £3 plus £3.50 p/p

All the money goes to Prostate Cancer UK.

To those of you who supported us as G went through his cancer experiences, a big thank you.

Reading current posts, I wonder if he would have survived for longer if he had had different treatments but it is no use torturing myself with those thoughts. He did so well for so long but being given the news that his condition deteriorated so rapidly devastated us both.

It is good to read that many people are surviving for longer with different combinations of treatments now.

I only come on the site sometimes now. I am living as well as I can without my fabulous guy but miss him very much.

User
Posted 08 Oct 2021 at 23:50
Ah, it is good to see you posting Gillyflower and to know that you are finding your new normal even though that is not the future that you and G had hoped to enjoy together.

Do you advertise the book anywhere - Twitter, Etsy, Facebook, for example?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 09 Oct 2021 at 21:24

Yes I have advertised it in various places. 

User
Posted 10 Oct 2021 at 08:54
Hello Gillyflower, and good to ‘see’ you again.

Your thoughts are familiar to me too. It’s now over 11 years since Mike died and so many of the treatments we take for granted nowadays just weren’t either thought of or were still in development. I was tortured by similar ‘if only’ thoughts.

Time doesn’t heal totally but it does make everything ‘softer’ and ‘kinder’. I can now be truly happy for men and their families with better outcomes without thinking ‘what if’. I do hope it becomes so for you, and lovely to see you here, although, of course, we all wish we didn’t need to be.

Take care, Janet, x

User
Posted 13 Oct 2021 at 21:19

Nice to hear from you too Janet. Being a widow isn't easy but I am surviving and getting on with life in the best way I can.

The thing I find really hard is understanding how some men have tiny jumps in psa but my G came off arberatitone at psa 78 and after 6 sessions of chemo it went up to a staggering 3000. I just don't understand if his nephrostomies had anything to do with the rise or if it was inevitable that cancer would win the fight in the end.

I try not to dwell on things as it does not help and when even his oncologist couldn't understand it, I feel I will never know why it ended so suddenly.

I have intentions of doing so many things but I don't know if I will. Just getting from day to day is enough for now. I have a foster dog at the moment- big challenge for me but makes me do a lot and he is such a handsome doggy.

Anyway lovely to hear from you. Gill

User
Posted 15 Oct 2021 at 08:17
Gill, getting from day to day is enough, don’t put pressure on yourself to do more, all progress is progress.

Take care, Janet