I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Taking Supplements or not

User
Posted 02 Dec 2020 at 13:22

Anyone out there take Osteocare tablets to possibly help with HT? (other brands are available!)

I know my Onco is somewhat ambivalent about supplements of any kind (as most professionals seem to be) but sees no harm in it. Already take Pomi T to help with aches and pains  after seeing it well regarded by some members on here so was just wondering if anyone uses the Osteo ones?

Steve

Good luck to everyone coping with the insidious big C

User
Posted 25 Aug 2022 at 11:33

Lycopene is insoluble, so simply eating a fresh tomato won't get your body to absorb the lycopene - it just passes through as fibre. Lycopene needs to be dissolved in oil in order to be absorbed, so you need the tomatoes cooked (including skins where the lycopene is most concentrated) in oil, and to consume that oil.

Good sources are tomato ketchup, most tomato soups (containing oil), some tomato puree concentrates (containing oil). A fresh tomato isn't much use though.

While there's some suggestion lycopene may reduce the incidence of prostate cancer, there's no suggestion it makes any difference once you have prostate cancer, which is the situation of the people in this forum.

I've no idea what form the lycopene is inside lycopene supplements, but unless they're oil capsules (like cod liver oil capsules are), I doubt it would do anything.

User
Posted 02 Dec 2020 at 23:26

I take AdCal-D3 giant chewable tablets.

My GP offered to put them on prescription, but I said I was happy to buy them. You don't need a prescription for them, but you should check with your doctor if it's OK for you to take calcium supplements - there are some conditions where you can't (including some types of bone mets).

I also take Pomi-T. I looked at the ingredients and decided it was at worse harmless. However, I couldn't eat fruit and veg for around 6 months, and I guess it might have made up a bit during that period. Couldn't eat broccoli, my favorite veg for a year after RT.

Edited by member 02 Dec 2020 at 23:29  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 03 Dec 2020 at 14:29

Broccoli generated really bad runs, as good as any powerful enema, except they lasted all weekend. So bad, that wiping made my arse bleed, and I was passing blood too.

After 2 weeks without veg during the RT, my body was really craving some. On Friday after a treatment, I cooked a whole broccoli and eat it, thinking it had all weekend to work its way out of my system. BIG MISTAKE. I spent the whole weekend strapped down to the toilet seat, and crawled in to my Monday session. I wasn't completely sure if the bleeding arse was down to the radiation or the non-stop runs, but it healed quickly with the hydrogel cream they gave me even though RT continued, so it was down to the runs. This became known as the Broccoli Incident between myself and the review radiographer, and we always laughed as we passed each other in the corridor afterwards.

However, afterward the RT as I gradually reintroduced fruit and veg and found I could tolerate it, broccoli remained the one that took me straight back to runs and passing blood. Maybe the Broccoli Incident sensitised my bowls to it? It was almost a year later when I did manage to eat a small portion. I haven't yet eaten a whole broccoli again!

User
Posted 04 Dec 2020 at 16:15

There is a suggestion to avoid Vitamin D during radiotherapy. I don't think I've ever heard a prostate cancer patient told to do this, but some breast cancer patients are told this.

The reason for this is Vitamin D is supposed to be good at avoiding free radical damage to DNA, whereas radiotherapy is deliberately generating free radical damage to DNA - that's an essential part of how it works.

I was taking vitamin D though radiotherapy because I didn't know about this until afterwards. If I had known, I would have stopped taking vitamin D a few weeks before RT, and started again afterwards.

The effects of radiotherapy continue for 18 months to 2 years as the fatally damaged cells gradually die, but there's no more DNA corruption being generated after the RT by free radicals, so I think you could restart vitamin D a day or so afterwards. However, I've never read a research paper which talks about this, so I'm guessing.

User
Posted 25 Aug 2022 at 07:43

When man enter 40s, testosterone level usually drop, same occurs in the female menopause. Some may develop physical and emotional changes. Also, it is important to be aware of warning signs and screening of prostate cancer. Taking lot of fruits and vegetable with full of nutrition can prevent prostate cancer. Few supplements such as :

1)Lycopene-rich foods

Lycopene acts as an antioxidant. It counters the actions of harmful free radicals in our body when we consume it. A free radical is a highly reactive molecule that damages important biological structures in our body’s cells, such as DNA and proteins. Antioxidants limit the damage free radicals cause by chemically neutralizing them.

2) Sulforaphane

Sulforaphane is an antioxidant that reduces inflammation and helps eliminating carcinogens. It is found from cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli, cabbages, beets, cauliflower, Chinese cabbage, and bok choy.

3)Flavonoids and isoflavonoids

Flavonoids and isoflavonoids are polyphenolic compounds in the human diet. It helps balancing sex hormones and maintaining prostate health. Flavonoids and isoflavonoids are highly concentrated in soy beans and soy products, as well as red wine, cranberries, and pomegranate.

Edited by member 25 Aug 2022 at 10:37  | Reason: Not specified

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 02 Dec 2020 at 23:26

I take AdCal-D3 giant chewable tablets.

My GP offered to put them on prescription, but I said I was happy to buy them. You don't need a prescription for them, but you should check with your doctor if it's OK for you to take calcium supplements - there are some conditions where you can't (including some types of bone mets).

I also take Pomi-T. I looked at the ingredients and decided it was at worse harmless. However, I couldn't eat fruit and veg for around 6 months, and I guess it might have made up a bit during that period. Couldn't eat broccoli, my favorite veg for a year after RT.

Edited by member 02 Dec 2020 at 23:29  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 03 Dec 2020 at 07:42

I have also been prescribed AdCal-D3 and take Pomi T and Sage Tablets.  @Andy62 what was the reason you couldn't eat broccoli as that is my favourite veg too :( I am about 3-4 months away from receiving RT?

User
Posted 03 Dec 2020 at 14:29

Broccoli generated really bad runs, as good as any powerful enema, except they lasted all weekend. So bad, that wiping made my arse bleed, and I was passing blood too.

After 2 weeks without veg during the RT, my body was really craving some. On Friday after a treatment, I cooked a whole broccoli and eat it, thinking it had all weekend to work its way out of my system. BIG MISTAKE. I spent the whole weekend strapped down to the toilet seat, and crawled in to my Monday session. I wasn't completely sure if the bleeding arse was down to the radiation or the non-stop runs, but it healed quickly with the hydrogel cream they gave me even though RT continued, so it was down to the runs. This became known as the Broccoli Incident between myself and the review radiographer, and we always laughed as we passed each other in the corridor afterwards.

However, afterward the RT as I gradually reintroduced fruit and veg and found I could tolerate it, broccoli remained the one that took me straight back to runs and passing blood. Maybe the Broccoli Incident sensitised my bowls to it? It was almost a year later when I did manage to eat a small portion. I haven't yet eaten a whole broccoli again!

User
Posted 03 Dec 2020 at 14:30
Broccoli is also quite a challenge for people with IBS, I think.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 04 Dec 2020 at 08:38
My daily supplements are aspirin 75mg and Vitamin D3 2000 IU. I like to believe they give me superpowers. The GP was happy to prescribe them, but I buy my own. On the plus side, broccoli doesn’t have any explosive effect on me, which is a winner as it is in my top 3 vegetables!
User
Posted 04 Dec 2020 at 10:16

Hi Andy 

my partner has just finished Radiotherapy.Do you know  if it is safe for him to take Vitamin D ? The Oncologist said it was safe with Chemo I forgot to ask about Radiotherapy as I understand that it continues to work for 18 months to 2 years.I have read conflicting reports some saying it can boost effectiveness of Radiotherapy but read one report saying it can interfere with the effects by protecting the cancer cells .Also is it safe to take Pomi T due to the same reasons.?I was going to ask Oncologist on the next call ?

Thanks for any advice 

Edited by member 04 Dec 2020 at 10:17  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 04 Dec 2020 at 16:15

There is a suggestion to avoid Vitamin D during radiotherapy. I don't think I've ever heard a prostate cancer patient told to do this, but some breast cancer patients are told this.

The reason for this is Vitamin D is supposed to be good at avoiding free radical damage to DNA, whereas radiotherapy is deliberately generating free radical damage to DNA - that's an essential part of how it works.

I was taking vitamin D though radiotherapy because I didn't know about this until afterwards. If I had known, I would have stopped taking vitamin D a few weeks before RT, and started again afterwards.

The effects of radiotherapy continue for 18 months to 2 years as the fatally damaged cells gradually die, but there's no more DNA corruption being generated after the RT by free radicals, so I think you could restart vitamin D a day or so afterwards. However, I've never read a research paper which talks about this, so I'm guessing.

User
Posted 25 Aug 2022 at 07:43

When man enter 40s, testosterone level usually drop, same occurs in the female menopause. Some may develop physical and emotional changes. Also, it is important to be aware of warning signs and screening of prostate cancer. Taking lot of fruits and vegetable with full of nutrition can prevent prostate cancer. Few supplements such as :

1)Lycopene-rich foods

Lycopene acts as an antioxidant. It counters the actions of harmful free radicals in our body when we consume it. A free radical is a highly reactive molecule that damages important biological structures in our body’s cells, such as DNA and proteins. Antioxidants limit the damage free radicals cause by chemically neutralizing them.

2) Sulforaphane

Sulforaphane is an antioxidant that reduces inflammation and helps eliminating carcinogens. It is found from cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli, cabbages, beets, cauliflower, Chinese cabbage, and bok choy.

3)Flavonoids and isoflavonoids

Flavonoids and isoflavonoids are polyphenolic compounds in the human diet. It helps balancing sex hormones and maintaining prostate health. Flavonoids and isoflavonoids are highly concentrated in soy beans and soy products, as well as red wine, cranberries, and pomegranate.

Edited by member 25 Aug 2022 at 10:37  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 25 Aug 2022 at 08:16

And there are many on here who have been eating healthy plant based diets all their lives and yet we still have prostate cancer...

Agreed it is well know eating a diet rich in antioxidants, reducing sugar and fat, exercise yada yada gives you a better 'chance' but I believe 'luck of the draw' i.e genetics plays a much bigger part.

User
Posted 25 Aug 2022 at 10:26

Hi Danny you say supplements then mention Lycopene from the research I have done the Lycopene supplements didn't do very well but when the lycopene came from a food source ie tomatoes it did show results.

With regards to soy my husband has soy milk in coffee and cereal plus soy mince and tofu during the week. He started hormone tablets about 3 weeks ago and had a hormone injection on Monday so I know it is early days yet but he hasn't had a hot flush yet and isn't really having any side effects from the treatment, I wonder if the soy maybe helping with this. He also has Flaxseed which I believe maybe similar to soy.

User
Posted 25 Aug 2022 at 11:33

Lycopene is insoluble, so simply eating a fresh tomato won't get your body to absorb the lycopene - it just passes through as fibre. Lycopene needs to be dissolved in oil in order to be absorbed, so you need the tomatoes cooked (including skins where the lycopene is most concentrated) in oil, and to consume that oil.

Good sources are tomato ketchup, most tomato soups (containing oil), some tomato puree concentrates (containing oil). A fresh tomato isn't much use though.

While there's some suggestion lycopene may reduce the incidence of prostate cancer, there's no suggestion it makes any difference once you have prostate cancer, which is the situation of the people in this forum.

I've no idea what form the lycopene is inside lycopene supplements, but unless they're oil capsules (like cod liver oil capsules are), I doubt it would do anything.

User
Posted 25 Aug 2022 at 12:13

Andy I must admit the way I worded it was as if just eating plain tomatoes was enough. I actually make a soup for OH that has Extra virgin Olive oil, fresh Tomatoes, tomato puree and Sun dried tomatoes. I am trying to incorporate other foods that may help with Anti Angiogenesis as OH PSA was high I am concerned that it may spread or reoccur after treatment and my thought is that if we can maybe stop or slow the formation of blood vessels to any cancer cells that remain.