Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

PSA rise results

User
Posted 10 Dec 2020 at 19:29

Hi all,

Just an update really. In October Pete had the 6th monthly PSA test. For 5 years it's been undetectable. But in October we were told there had been a marginal rise (weren't told what) and had to re test in December.

Results through today, chat with GP.. it's risen to 0.2, which apparently is the same as it was in October. The consultant hadn't set a point at which they'd want to investigate, and the GP seemed pretty relaxed. She said another test in 3 months, but the fact it's stayed the same since October was good. She said at this point no need for scan or re starting hormones (Pete is off any treatment at mo). 

So, mixed feelings really. Glad it's not dramatically rising but sad there is a rise at all. Just continue to watch and wait really... 

'Sorrow looks back, worry looks around, but faith looks up'
User
Posted 10 Dec 2020 at 20:48
Sorry to see this news. It will be the job of the onco to identify the optimum time to restart the hormones - some go for a specific number like pSA 5 or 10 while others will hold off for as long as the doubling time is more than 6 months. If the rise stays as slow as this, it might be a few years before you get to that point although as you know, for a man who was young at diagnosis the chance of the cancer being persistent and stubborn is greater.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 11 Dec 2020 at 10:18

Sorry to read the PSA is persisting. Here’s hoping any rise is at a snail’s pace and a return to PROSTAP is a long way off. 

Ido4

User
Posted 12 Dec 2020 at 00:35
Ask your GP for a print out of his PSA readings.

I can see mine plotted on a graph by viewing my medical records on the Patient Access app. You have to sign up for it via your GP, and get access codes

Not all GPS participate in the scheme, but more are doing so.

Cheers, John.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 10 Dec 2020 at 20:48
Sorry to see this news. It will be the job of the onco to identify the optimum time to restart the hormones - some go for a specific number like pSA 5 or 10 while others will hold off for as long as the doubling time is more than 6 months. If the rise stays as slow as this, it might be a few years before you get to that point although as you know, for a man who was young at diagnosis the chance of the cancer being persistent and stubborn is greater.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 11 Dec 2020 at 10:18

Sorry to read the PSA is persisting. Here’s hoping any rise is at a snail’s pace and a return to PROSTAP is a long way off. 

Ido4

User
Posted 12 Dec 2020 at 00:35
Ask your GP for a print out of his PSA readings.

I can see mine plotted on a graph by viewing my medical records on the Patient Access app. You have to sign up for it via your GP, and get access codes

Not all GPS participate in the scheme, but more are doing so.

Cheers, John.