I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Dad just diangnosd

User
Posted 16 Dec 2020 at 23:53

Hello, my Dad was recently diagnosed with prostate cancer, he’s 77 and they found two cancerous samples from 12 he’d taken from his biopsy. He has been told it is medium/aggressive, he has his bone scan tomorrow (17/12) at The Royal Stoke hospital, I will be taking him, obviously from the result this will decide his treatment. I will be viewing the various topics to try and gain as much information I can to share with my Dad, and also for my Mum and myself as we are all still coming to terms with this.

User
Posted 17 Dec 2020 at 16:33
Alex,

The majority of men your Dad's age have prostate cancer. Getting it is basically a matter of being a man and living long enough. The overwhelming majority will die with it, not from it, and many will require no treatment. It's basically just part of the ageing process for a man. Don't get too stressed about it. It's a treatable condition.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 17 Dec 2020 at 00:39

Hi Alex, 

The first few weeks, just being diagnosed and waiting for test results are quite nerve racking. You do get over the shock. Remember this is a very slow disease. By the age of 77 about 50% of men have prostate cancer, but most of them don't know it, and most of them will die of something else long before the cancer advances enough to be a problem. I hope the bone scan comes back negative.

Once you have all the test results then things become more certain, and you can start planning treatment. If you hadn't have used the word aggressive then there would have been a good argument for not having treatment, and just enjoying life. 

Dave

User
Posted 17 Dec 2020 at 15:02

Hi Alex,

You say your dad has two positive samples from 12 but not the Gleason score or his Psa number so it's difficult for any of us to comment  and also he needs the bone Scan results as well to get a better idea.

I had 5 cores out of 20 positive with Gleason 3+4=7 and a PSA of 2.19 in September 2016 at the age of 70 with no bone mets.

Once you get more result after the scans you will have a better idea of what treatment your dad can have.

Good luck John.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 17 Dec 2020 at 00:39

Hi Alex, 

The first few weeks, just being diagnosed and waiting for test results are quite nerve racking. You do get over the shock. Remember this is a very slow disease. By the age of 77 about 50% of men have prostate cancer, but most of them don't know it, and most of them will die of something else long before the cancer advances enough to be a problem. I hope the bone scan comes back negative.

Once you have all the test results then things become more certain, and you can start planning treatment. If you hadn't have used the word aggressive then there would have been a good argument for not having treatment, and just enjoying life. 

Dave

User
Posted 17 Dec 2020 at 15:02

Hi Alex,

You say your dad has two positive samples from 12 but not the Gleason score or his Psa number so it's difficult for any of us to comment  and also he needs the bone Scan results as well to get a better idea.

I had 5 cores out of 20 positive with Gleason 3+4=7 and a PSA of 2.19 in September 2016 at the age of 70 with no bone mets.

Once you get more result after the scans you will have a better idea of what treatment your dad can have.

Good luck John.

User
Posted 17 Dec 2020 at 16:33
Alex,

The majority of men your Dad's age have prostate cancer. Getting it is basically a matter of being a man and living long enough. The overwhelming majority will die with it, not from it, and many will require no treatment. It's basically just part of the ageing process for a man. Don't get too stressed about it. It's a treatable condition.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 17 Dec 2020 at 20:34

Thanks for all the comments, my Dad did tell me his Gleason score and other information but because my head was all over the place I cannot remember the exact figures, I will ask him again and make a note of the info as I am sure it will come in useful, feel bad that I haven’t already done that!

He had his bone scan today in Stoke, they advised he should get the results in a weeks time, but I’m not sure if Christmas will delay that a bit.

Edited by member 17 Dec 2020 at 20:37  | Reason: Not specified