I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Nerve ache

User
Posted 28 Dec 2020 at 21:22

I had my prostate removed in January 2019 by robotics surgery and now on 6 monthly blood tests, my erections are starting to return using a pump and tablets, but I’m getting a annoying pain/ache in my right side not every day but it is getting worse, I’ve spoken to my urologist who says it’s just nerve damage, I also got my gp to check me over and he said the same as neither could feel anything, it is worrying and does anyone have the same after robotic surgery do you think it wise to try and push for some sort of scan thanks 

User
Posted 29 Dec 2020 at 00:09
It is easy to assume that everything is to do with the prostate cancer. Most likely explanations for an intermittent pain in the side are a) adhesions b) irritable bowel syndrome c) hernia d) grumbling appendix
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 29 Dec 2020 at 14:45

Hi,

I'm not sure where you mean by 'right side'.  

During diagnosis I got a huge pain in my right hip while walking and could hardly walk for a few days, it lasted for months although getting less severe.   From time to time it still niggles.

Also I realised that I'd had a small niggling pain in my hip for a few months to the extent that I'd adapted the way I got undressed without realising it.

I was told that everyone blames every pain on the condition but it very rarely is.

I was convinced it was advanced PCa but they said it was a 'sports injury'.  About 6 months later the GP said it was likely to be arthritis and gave me strong Ibuprofen cream.  I wasn't convinced but the urologist later said my psa was still undetectable at my second appointment and such a long standing pain would be showing something up by then.

If your psa is very low a spread probably wouldn't show on a scan.  Waiting between psa tests is perhaps your best proof.

Something else that I get and have heard it's associated with the op, is what I think is sciatic nerve pain.  About once every 9 months.  That is extremely painful, if it didn't go away after about 10 seconds it would be very worrying as it's the biggest pain I've ever felt.  It's like a super cramp.

Let's hope your pain is just part of life after having had treatment.  To me it's all trivial unless the psa starts to rise then it will become something else.  Although if the sciatic pain stayed on I might change my mind.

Regards
Peter