Notification

Error

Advice Appreciated 16/01

User
Posted 16 Jan 2021 at 15:20

Hi All

just got my diagnosis on the 30/12/20 and classed as T3

I have started hormone treatment having had my first injection on the 12/01

Ive been told I will have these injections every 12 weeks and my biopsy is booked for the 27/01

I've not discussed what this actually means for my future with anyone yet and not sure how to approach the subject due to being frightened of the answer yet I know I need the conversation. What the nurse said on the day is that you carry on life as normal. 
just wondered if anyone has any advise for me 

User
Posted 16 Jan 2021 at 21:12
It is unusual to be diagnosed and started on the hormones before you have had the biopsy so there must be some reason why they are so sure - perhaps your PSA reading was really, really high?

They won't be able to tell you what the future holds until they have the results of the biopsy and any additional scans - have you had a bone scan yet?

If your cancer hasn't spread to your bones or anywhere else, I guess they will offer you radiotherapy in a few months when the hormones have starved the cancer and this will be on a curative basis. Even if the scans (or your PSA reading) indicate that the cancer has spread, the hormone treatment may be able to control it for many years.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 16 Jan 2021 at 23:31

I think the diagnosis procedures are well out of sequence in many hospitals at the moment, due to COVID disruption.

Was talking with a guy recently, and his first appointment on a 2 week referral is for a nuclear bone scan. No MRI scan or biopsy or consultant meeting yet. His PSA was moderately high but nowhere near guaranteed stage 4.

User
Posted 17 Jan 2021 at 10:37

Morning thanks for the reply 

yes my PSA was very high that’s why the treatment was started straight away

had a bone scan on the 08/01 but no outcome yet presume this will be given at the same time of the biopsy result

User
Posted 17 Jan 2021 at 16:47
Do you know what your PSA was?

Best wishes,

Chris