I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Looking for opinions

User
Posted 18 Jan 2021 at 13:30

Looking for opinions of if I should be concerned.

First off. I'm 43 year white male.

Most my life It seems like I wake once to pee. Past year or so it has increased, maybe 2 or 3 times a night. When I wake in the morning I have back and hip pain. That may be a symptom or could be that my job is sitting on a forklift all day. 

I think all my problems may be anxiety issues but I'm not sure.

I had a telephone appointment with my doctor last week. She sent me for bloodwork. All my bloodwork came back good other then slightly high cholesterol. PSA was 0.37.

So any opinions if I should be putting alot of stress and worry into this.

User
Posted 18 Jan 2021 at 14:37
Back and hip pain is commonly associated with urinary tract infections, which can be notoriously difficult to diagnose. Since your blood tests came back clear, and I assume that a urine sample has also been sent off to the hospital for detailed analysis, it sounds like you may be suffering from irritable bladder and / or have got into a bad habit.

Have you tried cutting out caffeine and fizzy drinks to see if that makes things better? Have you tried drinking cranberry juice (pure, not the cheaper 'from concentrate' stuff). If that doesn't help, you might need to look at the quality of sleep and perhaps ask whether there are bladder retraining classes in your area. The vast majority of children and adults have a bladder large enough to accomodate urine during the night and children from about the age of 3 do not need to wee when they should be asleep. Sometimes, the habit of lifting / waking a child during the night becomes embedded / learned behaviour and can go on for too long. If you have been waking in the night for as long as you can remember, it may just be that your brain never learned where the off switch is. Now that you are getting older, the brain could be over-reacting even more so once you wake, your brain thinks you need to wee before you can go back to sleep. That becomes a habit. Bladder re-training is about teaching the brain to read messages from the bladder correctly but you may also need to address why your sleep quality isn't great.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 18 Jan 2021 at 14:42

Hi,

It would have been more authoritive if she'd stuck her finger up your bottom and felt the prostate for hardness or lumps.   Although such a low psa appears a good result.

Once you start worrying about Prostate Cancer every pain becomes a symptom, whereas it very likely isn't.  That's what the medics tell you.

Getting up in the night can be for a lot of reasons.  I had urgency, which is when you absolutely need to go although that was in the day.   Two doctors told me that's usually an Overactive Bladder which needs re-training.  Although fortunately they both checked for Prostate Cancer and found it.

So it might be hard to say you haven't got it but it seems  most unlikely.

I just noticed Lyn's reply so won't go on.

All the best, Peter 

User
Posted 18 Jan 2021 at 15:49

I was thinking the same that its more a habbit I have trained my body to follow and I need to retrain it. Then the back and hip I'm thinking work related. 

I don't think its a bladder infection, i forgot to add in my original post that I did do a urine test and the results just said no relevant growth. Not sure what that means.

I think I gotta stop talking to Dr. Google. He has me in palliative care with a couple days to live.

Thank you for your reply.

User
Posted 19 Jan 2021 at 00:08
PSA at 0.37 is just about normal for your age. At least now you have a base line figure for any future tests. Beware of any increase, in say, six months.

Forget Dr Google and ask your GP for a referral to your urology consultant.

Best of luck.

Cheers, John.