I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

CT Scan - Why?

User
Posted 21 Jan 2021 at 17:03

I thought you lovely people could help.  Dont want to keep hassling my husband as he doesnt know either.

He had a PSA score of 138.  He has had a MRI Scan and had a call with the consultant who says it has spread to the tip of his bones and his lymph nodes. He is 56, fit and healthy and the only sign was peeing problems.  He is not black, has no history in his family.

He is waiting for the final results of his biopsy but the consultant says its very unlikely to be any different to what she has said so far. 

So today he got an appointment for a CT Scan in Radiology.   Why would he need this scan too?  

Thank you.  Going for counselling tomorrow.  I feel robbed of our future.  He has had his first HT injection and will be having one every month and will then be taking Enzalutanide.  

User
Posted 08 Jan 2024 at 19:34

Dear Corrie.

Prostate cancer is not like other cancers. In the vast majority of cases it is very slow growing and there are many treatments. Hopefully your husband will respond well and still be with you for many many years, especially as new treatments are coming along all the time. The best thing you can do is educate yourself and hopefully not be as terrified. PCRI (www.pcri.org) is a good place to start (they have excellent videos on YouTube which answer many of the questions you're bound to be thinking).

User
Posted 08 Jan 2024 at 20:07

Dear Corrie, 

I completely understand how you feel about it, somehow I am going through similar feelings.

But what  has been said above it is true: there are now a lot of treatments available and if your husband who is very fit, responds well, there are good hopes this can be managed.  

Let's give each other support and strenght, and keep on fighting this battle. There are possibilities.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 21 Jan 2021 at 22:12

Oh gosh Corrie, I'm so sorry, but I've heard many people say counselling helped them significantly.

I can only guess the reason for the CT scan. The MRI scan will have picked up the lymph node involvement, but MRI isn't great at imaging lymph nodes in some tissues, and a CT scan will give them a higher quality image to work from. When using these types of scan to identify lymph node involvement, they're looking for changes in shape of the lymph nodes, and better quality images help. It could be be someone completely different reason - this is just a guess.

User
Posted 21 Jan 2021 at 22:29
Hi Andy, yes, that makes sense. I am so scared. My husband is so strong. We have been married nearly 25 years and have two wonderful sons. We are now in a position where we are comfortably off after 40 years of working hard and now this. We had lots of plans. I feel we have had our future stolen from us.

Thank you anyway for responding. Very much appreciated.

User
Posted 21 Jan 2021 at 22:33
What we are doing quickly is getting our finances in order and our wills reviewed. I also started thinking about whether I should stay in our house. Isn’t that terrible. I cannot seem to stop racing ahead. I will be a widow.
User
Posted 21 Jan 2021 at 23:19
I was 45 when John was diagnosed - that was 12 years ago. If he responds well to the treatment you might still be here planning activities in 15 years time.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 08 Jan 2024 at 19:34

Dear Corrie.

Prostate cancer is not like other cancers. In the vast majority of cases it is very slow growing and there are many treatments. Hopefully your husband will respond well and still be with you for many many years, especially as new treatments are coming along all the time. The best thing you can do is educate yourself and hopefully not be as terrified. PCRI (www.pcri.org) is a good place to start (they have excellent videos on YouTube which answer many of the questions you're bound to be thinking).

User
Posted 08 Jan 2024 at 20:07

Dear Corrie, 

I completely understand how you feel about it, somehow I am going through similar feelings.

But what  has been said above it is true: there are now a lot of treatments available and if your husband who is very fit, responds well, there are good hopes this can be managed.  

Let's give each other support and strenght, and keep on fighting this battle. There are possibilities.

User
Posted 10 Jan 2024 at 01:49
Guys, you are posting on a thread that is 3 years old!
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 10 Jan 2024 at 06:31

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
Guys, you are posting on a thread that is 3 years old!

Time for some spanked bottoms, Matron?

(I almost posted, and feel, as a warning, I need at least a couple of spanks, please.)

Edited by member 10 Jan 2024 at 06:49  | Reason: Typo.