I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Early days-Worried

User
Posted 27 Jan 2021 at 15:13

So I had a problem peeing just before Christmas and thought I had an infection. Had antibiotics for a week but no improvement. 

did urine and blood tests, Urine came back clear but blood showed a PSA of 6.5. Rectal exam reported prostate was hard and enlarged.

within days I had an MRI and have now been called in for biopsy next week. 

Im still in shock at 48 I’ve had no other symptoms, worried as I have 3 young kids and 3 weeks ago life was completely normal.

any words of support or reassurance would be nice, advice is always welcome, I haven’t been oblivious of prostate cancer but it never really featured in my life. I’m fit, healthy, run 2 football teams. This has come out of the blue. Could it still be nothing???? 

User
Posted 27 Jan 2021 at 20:22

I was told by urologist that...

"as a 50-year-old with a PSA of between 4 & 10 you have a 27% chance of prostate cancer".

That is on PSA stats alone though. I'm not sure if the 'hard edge' DRE you mentioned swings the numbers.

So they had me in for an MRI and a biopsy. The MRI was used to target the suspicious area, which did turn out to be cancerous.

It is a worrying time, but there's nothing much you can do except endure the waiting during the diagnostics and try not to get too far ahead.

_____

Two cannibals named Ectomy and Prost, all alone on a Desert island.

Prost was the strongest, so Prost ate Ectomy.

User
Posted 27 Jan 2021 at 20:55

Hi John,

Sorry that you find yourself on here but it really is a magnificent source of information, at 44 yrs of age I had a PSA reading of 12 and this eventually after further blood tests, antibiotics and consultation with a urologist it went down to around 1 and he was satisfied that it was nothing suspicious and was putting it down to an infection.

Role on 13 years and last year after a PSA reading of 5.6 I was diagnosed with localised prostate cancer which I am being treated for,  I didn’t have any symptoms but had asked for PSA check in Sept 19 and ended up with MRI and subsequent biopsy.

The  MRI has shown up something suspicious and that’s why you are now going for a biopsy so until the results of the biopsy come back you won’t actually know, it’s not great but that’s the process.

User
Posted 27 Jan 2021 at 21:17
John, even if you are diagnosed with prostate cancer, it is, when localised, an eminently treatable condition, and a PSA of 6.5 makes it massively unlikely to be anything other than localised. For goodness sake don’t start thinking you’re doomed - you’re not. Really all you can do is get through the diagnostic process. It’s tough - we’ve all been there.

Very best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 29 Jan 2021 at 17:10

Hi John,

Best of luck with your biopsy. Try not to think the worst...not easy I know.  If prostate cancer is diagnosed it is very treatable. All the best

Neil. 

User
Posted 31 Jan 2021 at 14:19
That's entirely normal, John. You'll have all the diagnostic procedures and then an appointment to discuss the results. You won't be told the result of each test separately.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 02 Feb 2021 at 18:29

Sorry to hear that, John, but try not to get too worried about it. It is a shock to be diagnosed (we've all been there) but localised prostate cancer is a treatable condition. You'll get through it and (believe it or not at this stage) life goes on. It's a club none of us wanted to be a member of, but it is what it is.

Next stages for you will be the biopsy and then (probably) a nuclear bone scan to see if it's spread. With your PSA you can be damned sure it HASN'T spread, but they'll check anyway.

Don't let it get you down. The important thing is that it's been caught at a treatable stage.

Chris

Edited by member 02 Feb 2021 at 18:31  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 05 Feb 2021 at 16:30
You'll be on a curative treatment path, John, that's the main thing.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 05 Feb 2021 at 17:16

You may or may may not be given a steer wih regard to your treatment but I would check out the various forms of surgery and radiation plus HT so you can ask better informed questions when you come to discuss you treatment decision with your consultant(s).

If you have not yet done so, I recommend you download or obtain a hard copy of the 'Tool Kit' which you will find informative. https://prostatecanceruk.org/prostate-information/our-publications/publications/tool-kit?_ga=2.206109653.795867346.1564408880-1013787081.1564408880

Edited by member 05 Feb 2021 at 17:20  | Reason: Not specified

Barry
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 27 Jan 2021 at 20:22

I was told by urologist that...

"as a 50-year-old with a PSA of between 4 & 10 you have a 27% chance of prostate cancer".

That is on PSA stats alone though. I'm not sure if the 'hard edge' DRE you mentioned swings the numbers.

So they had me in for an MRI and a biopsy. The MRI was used to target the suspicious area, which did turn out to be cancerous.

It is a worrying time, but there's nothing much you can do except endure the waiting during the diagnostics and try not to get too far ahead.

_____

Two cannibals named Ectomy and Prost, all alone on a Desert island.

Prost was the strongest, so Prost ate Ectomy.

User
Posted 27 Jan 2021 at 20:55

Hi John,

Sorry that you find yourself on here but it really is a magnificent source of information, at 44 yrs of age I had a PSA reading of 12 and this eventually after further blood tests, antibiotics and consultation with a urologist it went down to around 1 and he was satisfied that it was nothing suspicious and was putting it down to an infection.

Role on 13 years and last year after a PSA reading of 5.6 I was diagnosed with localised prostate cancer which I am being treated for,  I didn’t have any symptoms but had asked for PSA check in Sept 19 and ended up with MRI and subsequent biopsy.

The  MRI has shown up something suspicious and that’s why you are now going for a biopsy so until the results of the biopsy come back you won’t actually know, it’s not great but that’s the process.

User
Posted 27 Jan 2021 at 21:17
John, even if you are diagnosed with prostate cancer, it is, when localised, an eminently treatable condition, and a PSA of 6.5 makes it massively unlikely to be anything other than localised. For goodness sake don’t start thinking you’re doomed - you’re not. Really all you can do is get through the diagnostic process. It’s tough - we’ve all been there.

Very best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 29 Jan 2021 at 17:10

Hi John,

Best of luck with your biopsy. Try not to think the worst...not easy I know.  If prostate cancer is diagnosed it is very treatable. All the best

Neil. 

User
Posted 31 Jan 2021 at 13:53

Thank you all for your words of support.

had to have a Covid test today as biopsy has been booked for Tuesday. I’m amazed at how quickly I am being seen in some respects it’s scary because you can over think things. Is it normal to have blood tests, DRE, MRI and then biopsy all in 2 weeks or should I just think myself lucky that I’m being seen so quickly. 

The only frustrating bit so far was that the consultant didn’t phone me after the MRI it was nurse to book the biopsy appointment so I’m actually non the wiser to what the MRI shows. I’m also confused with all the numbers and letters everyone is quoting. It’s acronym city out there 🙂

hopefully results of biopsy won’t take too long and we can start the recovery process.

take care all x 

User
Posted 31 Jan 2021 at 14:19
That's entirely normal, John. You'll have all the diagnostic procedures and then an appointment to discuss the results. You won't be told the result of each test separately.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 02 Feb 2021 at 12:20

So today is the day of my biopsy 02/02/21 and I’ve had a letter come through saying my next consultation is 16th March 2021 is that normal a six week gap between biopsy and consultation.

I did think things were moving really quickly but I’ve seen most on here say biopsy results take 2 weeks so don’t really understand the delay.

I know I sound like I’m moaning but just really looking for reassurance. ‘This is my first Rodeo’ never been ill before not even a broken bone. 

User
Posted 02 Feb 2021 at 12:45
It's not abnormal, John. Hospitals are rather overstretched at the moment. Don't let it worry you.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 02 Feb 2021 at 18:16

So the game has changed some what since my last post, consultant has sat me down today before my biopsy and explained that I do indeed have pc in both lobes he has seen this in MRI. He went ahead with the biopsy but described it as going through the stages.

my appointment of 16th March had been cancelled and a new one for 10 days time will be sent out.

Just got home and broke the news to the wife.

gutted x 

User
Posted 02 Feb 2021 at 18:29

Sorry to hear that, John, but try not to get too worried about it. It is a shock to be diagnosed (we've all been there) but localised prostate cancer is a treatable condition. You'll get through it and (believe it or not at this stage) life goes on. It's a club none of us wanted to be a member of, but it is what it is.

Next stages for you will be the biopsy and then (probably) a nuclear bone scan to see if it's spread. With your PSA you can be damned sure it HASN'T spread, but they'll check anyway.

Don't let it get you down. The important thing is that it's been caught at a treatable stage.

Chris

Edited by member 02 Feb 2021 at 18:31  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 03 Feb 2021 at 10:14

Sorry to read this John. It is good that they are moving things forward quickly rather than waiting till March 16th. 

Ido4

User
Posted 05 Feb 2021 at 15:05

Had a letter through today it now quotes me as 

T3a N0

T2 low signal throughout greater on right

TRUS Vol 24.8cc

IPSS 17+3

thanks to all your advice I now understand most of this, 

surprising not as worried as I was, def need some sleep though x 

User
Posted 05 Feb 2021 at 16:30
You'll be on a curative treatment path, John, that's the main thing.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 05 Feb 2021 at 16:53

Hi John, sorry you find yourself on here but you will find many people on here who have been on the same path as you, this time last year I was diagnosed with prostate cancer much to my which, 57 yrs of age, fit and healthy no symptoms but on the upside I was diagnosed fairly with a Gleason score of 3+4 ( my bio contains full details). I was sent home with 3 options for treatment RP, RT or Brachytherapy, I used many of the testimonies on this forum to make my decision. 

I elected for Brachytherapy and one year on I have had my treatment, PSA is down to 1.29 and I have minimal side effects so as scary as it is you will get through it and if you are like me my glass is half full in that I was caught early. Shortly  after I was diagnosed I told a friend I play golf with ( he is a few years older than me ) about my diagnosis and he went and got checked, turns out he has prostrate cancer which has moved to his pelvic area, he is going through all sort of HT at the minute and it’s not great.

All the best David

User
Posted 05 Feb 2021 at 17:16

You may or may may not be given a steer wih regard to your treatment but I would check out the various forms of surgery and radiation plus HT so you can ask better informed questions when you come to discuss you treatment decision with your consultant(s).

If you have not yet done so, I recommend you download or obtain a hard copy of the 'Tool Kit' which you will find informative. https://prostatecanceruk.org/prostate-information/our-publications/publications/tool-kit?_ga=2.206109653.795867346.1564408880-1013787081.1564408880

Edited by member 05 Feb 2021 at 17:20  | Reason: Not specified

Barry
User
Posted 06 Feb 2021 at 20:41
Before I was diagnosed with Prostate cancer in April 2015 (I was 70) my weeing problem was so great I knew every layby in the South of England. Once diagnosed I elected to have my Prostate removed. I haven't regretted it for an instant, and its now 2021 and I'm fine and I've never been on any medication either/.