I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

advice welcome for new patient

User
Posted 03 Feb 2021 at 09:18

I have just had a mri scan and am told I probably have prostate cancer, biopsy to follow next week. The cancer is only in my prostate and my PSA is 7.4

I am told there are two treatments - shrink it and radiotherapy over several months or have my prostate removed. I will discuss this at the biopsy but my reaction is remove the prostate - today if possible!! The operation would not be a problem as I am quite fit as I walk/jog up to 25 miles a week. Any advice please.

I hope my joining this site is not premature but I am in a bit of shock. 

User
Posted 03 Feb 2021 at 19:39
In my knowledge , I thought it’s only a biopsy that can confirm pc ? Psa 7.4 is pretty low down the scale , keep your options open . As you have read on site this cancer is slow slow growing , I see you are 72 , what were you signs to get check out ? Remember if it is cancer , 1 in 8 of us will develop it . I personally know 6 friends who got /had it all still upright 😂 , try and chill .
User
Posted 03 Feb 2021 at 19:48

Hi, never too early to join this site. It is a slow growing cancer, you might not even have it, so take your time. Everyone seems to think "cut it out" is the best solution; if you have got cancer, give yourself time to look in to all the options. 

Edited by member 05 Feb 2021 at 12:28  | Reason: Not specified

Dave

User
Posted 03 Feb 2021 at 19:51

Wait until the diagnostic process is complete. An MRI may suggest cancer, but only examination of cells from a biopsy under a microscope can confirm it. You'll know soon enough and then is the time to make decisions.

You won't discuss anything at the biopsy. Samples will be taken and sent away for analysis, which will generally take about two weeks or so. If cancer is confirmed you'll then probably have a nuclear bone scan to check for spread (which is unlikely, but it's part of the diagnostic process). Then and only then will you receive an appointment to discuss the results. Probably take about a month all in.

Best wishes,

Chris

Edited by member 03 Feb 2021 at 20:30  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 04 Feb 2021 at 15:49

Hi i think you should wait till you get your Gleason score as you could have more options.

John.

User
Posted 05 Feb 2021 at 11:57

No need for quick decisions.  Wait for all the info to be lined up.

Me, I am 65 and went for Robotic surgery. I was fit and healthy pre op, which is a big plus. My consultant recognised this and recommended the surgery approach. 

Surgery last July, minimal issues, I am back to fitness classes,running, exercise bike etc, hardly any need for incontinence pads!!.

Best decision for me. But wait for your info,and go from there. Stay strong 

User
Posted 06 Feb 2021 at 20:15

I was 70 when I had my diagnosis (April 2015) I had the same choice and I chose to have my Prostate removed. Mine was done with the Da Vinci Robot, easy, woke up with just 5 puncture marks on my abdomen. Five days later I was home.

I didn't like to go home with a catheter in but that was out in a few days. In June 2015 I hiked and camped 7 days along Offas Dyke path and in July 2015 I walked and camped the GR10 route across the Pyrenees over 50 days.

It's now Feb 2021 and I've never had a problem since and I've never been on any medication.

User
Posted 06 Feb 2021 at 20:22

Sorry I forgot, I also run-off-road every day since the Covid-19 virus took over. I didn't hike at all in 2020, at the beginning of lockdown I ran 100 runs in 100 days (average about 4-5km each time) in the summer I ran 100 runs in 102 days and at the moment I'm on day 37 of 37 runs, hoping again to run 100. Lifes too precious to hang about!

User
Posted 04 Mar 2021 at 10:31

|Thanks for all the positive messages following my first, slightly panicky post.

I now have my biopsy result - prostate cancer T3a No Gleason Score 8.

I am having surgery in about a months time. I didn't want the drawn out routine of hormone treatment and weeks of radiotherapy and the possible side effects.

Best wishes 

User
Posted 04 Mar 2021 at 13:56

Best of luck Dennis, hope it all goes well.
Has surgeon mentioned “going wide” because it’s T3a and what impact that may have on nerves?

User
Posted 04 Mar 2021 at 14:25

Glad you've made a decision. The posts I like reading most on this site are from people who post maybe once a year saying things like "I was treated 15 years ago, all still fine, I'll post again next year". Naturally I hope I will be in that situation and indeed I wish everyone would be. So please keep us informed how it goes. 

Dave

User
Posted 04 Mar 2021 at 15:18
Hope it all goes well for you!

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 05 Mar 2021 at 19:08

Good luck Dennis.  When you make up your mind it seems easier and things start moving.   

Like you I knew I wanted surgery, unless convinced otherwise.  Three weeks after the final diagnosis appointment it was done.  So far so good.

All the best, Peter

User
Posted 10 Apr 2021 at 10:52

I have now had my prostate removed and catheter out yesterday. Getting used to life with the pads!

One question - I had not considered the nights and how to deal with full pads and no-one had raised the subject.

Last night was a disaster - we had set the alarm for regular changes but the first was way out - woke up with myself and the bed soaked.  I think i need some waterproof pants for tonight to wear over the pad

User
Posted 10 Apr 2021 at 11:11
We borrowed my mothers (unused) waterproof bed sheet to protect the mattress. He fortunately didn't need it but it was good to know it was there.

I think it was a Kylie brand. They are a tad expensive but very good and fully washable.

User
Posted 10 Apr 2021 at 11:13
A waterproof cotton sheet from somewhere like Dunelm and / or puppy training pads from any good pet shop
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 11 Apr 2021 at 10:58

Thanks for the advice - I now have plastic pants over my pads and waterproof sheet.

Depressed that I wake up soaked and weighed down by wet pads and have to change pads twice a night. The catheter has only been out two days and the nurses said I should see a great improvement in two weeks. is this others experience?

Also , while lying awake in the night,  I had the feeling the nerves in my bladder were trying to tense before I had the feeling of leakage. I am taking this as a positive sign.