Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Massive Reduction in PSA Level

User
Posted 16 Feb 2021 at 14:59

Hi

when I was first diagnosed my PSA was 69% and I thought this was a typo in the confirmation letter, but when I raised this with the consultant he confirmed that it was in fact correct.

I was started on hormone treatment straight away, which was the 30/12/20 and my first injection was the 11/01/21.

my follow up appointment with the consultant was on the 10/01/21 and my PSA level was tested again and today I’m told it’s 1.4, which is a massive drop. 

I know this is good news but I’m shocked that it can drop so much and what I never asked what does this actually mean. I am seeing the oncologist next week. 

User
Posted 16 Feb 2021 at 16:13
It doesn't mean anything except that the HT has started working. The onco will be hoping that over the next few months, it drops below 0.1
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 16 Feb 2021 at 21:19

Hi,

Yes it's a good drop in level.

It's not that easy to follow the dates of your appointments and that your biopsy and bone scan results are unknown. 

It seems like:

You had an MRI that resulted in Stage T3.

Your psa was 69 (is it 69?) on 30th December 2020, and you started on hormones right away, presumably tablets.

You had an appointment with your consultant on 10th January 2021 and had a bone scan on that day.

You had a hormone injection on 11th January 2021.

Your biopsy was booked for 27th January.

On 16th February your psa was 1.4.

Did they say why you're having hormones.  Did they mention it's because of a delay in treatment or mention radiotherapy.

If you had a bone scan on 10th January it's taking a very long time to get the result.  Your biopsy result should also be imminent.  Did you get the results of your biospy and bone scan with your psa result today?

They won't finalise your treatment plan until all the results are known.

Regards
Peter

User
Posted 16 Feb 2021 at 22:54
Yes, HT usually causes a very large drop in PSA so nothing unusual in this. Some men have to rely on it until PCa gets round the loss of Testosterone and then need to augment or replace this with another treatment. But for men who are suitable for a radicial treatment, this helps restrain the cancer for a time and can help by shrinking it. This is probably more helpful for men who are going on to have a form of RT because HT normally accompanies RT anyway, although now being used as a holding treatment where surgery is intended but delayed.
Barry
User
Posted 17 Feb 2021 at 06:24

Hi Peter

my bone scan was clear and my biopsy 4/4 which the consultant expected due to the original PSA lever.

I am seeing the oncologist Wednesday the 24/02 to discuss further treatment

i made the posting as I was very surprised at the reduction in the PSA level

regards 

Martyn 

User
Posted 17 Feb 2021 at 20:14

Good news about the bone scan. All the best