I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

advanced stage 4 ?

User
Posted 17 Feb 2021 at 10:27

I'm 71 and have had regular PSA checks due to family history of prostate cancer my last 3 tests were 2.6 3.2 3.4. 2 months ago i started getting rib pain in my back i thought it was a flare up with my anklyosing spondylitis which was not uncommon (bladder function is always a problem with A/S) however i developed lumber pain and felt under the weather. I saw a urologist and had chest xray which came back ok, abdominal ultra sound showed kidneys ok with enlarged prostate,cystoscopy showed bladder wall thickness and enlarged prostate given a prostate mri to detect for cancer, dre examination gave a smooth impression. I get the mri results next week but realise that my body is changing. I woke up with a severe pain across my chest thought i was having a heart attack! and took painkillers which relieved my condition. I have developed slight bruising near both my nipples and suspect that if i have cancer it has spread to lymph and ribs. I've had a couple of full blood tests which came back normal including 2 bone panel blood tests which were normal with a slightly raised SAP @82 from 71. Because i was so fit for my age the family don't seem too worried yet i'm dreading the results. My blood pressure remains high and am trying to stay relaxed. Reading some of the stories on this forum gives some hope for the future.      

Edited by member 18 Feb 2021 at 12:09  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 17 Feb 2021 at 11:27

Are you likely to have prostate cancer? Around 70% of men your age have it, so it wouldn't be a surprise if you did. With a PSA of 3.2, though, it seems pessimistic in the extreme to automatically assume that you have advanced prostate cancer; were that to be the case a PSA in the hundreds or even thousands would be expected. There are varieties of prostate cancer which spread without increasing PSA, but they are VERY rare.

Given that your DRE was normal, I wouldn't make any assumptions. Wait for the MRI results. If anything suspicious shows up on the MRI you'll have a biopsy.

Best wishes,

Chris

Edited by member 17 Feb 2021 at 12:01  | Reason: Not specified