Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Finding some happiness again

User
Posted 28 Feb 2021 at 22:50

Hi 

Just thought I'd share some hope for others on the forum who are in a similar situation to my OH age 54 diagnosed with advanced pca, bone mets, in October 2020, (see bio).

5 months ago my OH required crutches to walk. It was such a bleak time: the diagnosis, shock, devastation and profound sadness that followed. All to familiar to many on this forum, who I know will understand. Being extremely fit and an avid cyclist many of you will relate to the impact on him physically and emotionally. 

The great news is his psa went from 739 to 0.11 in the first 3 months.  He is tolerating the monthly Degralix injections and Abiraterone appears to be controlling the cancer. What a relief. Bone pain has virtually gone. Yesterday was an amazing day.!! .. OH managed a reasonable bike ride.. With me in tow. Something we never thought possible again. Praying the treatment works for a very long time and more happy days ahead. 

Take care everyone for now. X

User
Posted 28 Feb 2021 at 22:50

Hi 

Just thought I'd share some hope for others on the forum who are in a similar situation to my OH age 54 diagnosed with advanced pca, bone mets, in October 2020, (see bio).

5 months ago my OH required crutches to walk. It was such a bleak time: the diagnosis, shock, devastation and profound sadness that followed. All to familiar to many on this forum, who I know will understand. Being extremely fit and an avid cyclist many of you will relate to the impact on him physically and emotionally. 

The great news is his psa went from 739 to 0.11 in the first 3 months.  He is tolerating the monthly Degralix injections and Abiraterone appears to be controlling the cancer. What a relief. Bone pain has virtually gone. Yesterday was an amazing day.!! .. OH managed a reasonable bike ride.. With me in tow. Something we never thought possible again. Praying the treatment works for a very long time and more happy days ahead. 

Take care everyone for now. X

User
Posted 28 Feb 2021 at 23:01

Hi,  That's great to read.  Thanks for sharing it.  All the best, Peter

User
Posted 01 Mar 2021 at 00:17
Great news ,long may it continue.

My OH has had great results with his treatment that started over 5 years ago .

Best wishes

Debby

User
Posted 01 Mar 2021 at 08:22

Delighted to hear it. It's all too easy, when we're diagnosed with cancer, to think that we'll never be happy again, but your story shows that it's not true!

Chris

Edited by member 01 Mar 2021 at 08:31  | Reason: Spelling mistake.

User
Posted 01 Mar 2021 at 10:45

Wishing you the best and a long time on the HT Chris.!

Sadly, due to widespread bone mets surgery was not an option. It was difficult to adjust to the side effects of HT at first but the treatment has honestly been incredible. We are so thankful and pleased he has responded so well to it. 

User
Posted 01 Mar 2021 at 13:36

So nice to hear. Hope you both enjoy plenty more cycles in this nice Spring weather.

User
Posted 01 Mar 2021 at 14:31
Great update, Highland lass - long may it continue!
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 28 Feb 2021 at 23:01

Hi,  That's great to read.  Thanks for sharing it.  All the best, Peter

User
Posted 28 Feb 2021 at 23:37
This is fantastic news. I’m nearly 6 yrs on from surgery and have delayed all other treatment until now as I wanted quality time. I’m 54 this year. Just started HT with a starting psa of 990 , but that’s after 3 cycles of spinal radiotherapy. I put it off way too long but it was my own decision in the end. I think sometimes men start too early and then become HT resistant too early. Hoping this will buy me a couple of years being in the T4G9N1 camp

Good luck

User
Posted 01 Mar 2021 at 00:17
Great news ,long may it continue.

My OH has had great results with his treatment that started over 5 years ago .

Best wishes

Debby

User
Posted 01 Mar 2021 at 08:22

Delighted to hear it. It's all too easy, when we're diagnosed with cancer, to think that we'll never be happy again, but your story shows that it's not true!

Chris

Edited by member 01 Mar 2021 at 08:31  | Reason: Spelling mistake.

User
Posted 01 Mar 2021 at 10:45

Wishing you the best and a long time on the HT Chris.!

Sadly, due to widespread bone mets surgery was not an option. It was difficult to adjust to the side effects of HT at first but the treatment has honestly been incredible. We are so thankful and pleased he has responded so well to it. 

User
Posted 01 Mar 2021 at 13:36

So nice to hear. Hope you both enjoy plenty more cycles in this nice Spring weather.

User
Posted 01 Mar 2021 at 14:31
Great update, Highland lass - long may it continue!
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 09 Apr 2021 at 01:16

Hello

This is great news I am sure a relief for you both. I am delighted for you.  Thank you for posting it because it does throw light onto a very dark place for others in the same situation.  I think everyone on here gets a real lift when they read positive stories like this so well done to you both.  Keep up the cycling. 

Lucy