I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

potential side effects of salvage RT

User
Posted 02 Mar 2021 at 09:27

Hi I'm about to begin RT treatment to the prostate bed after having had a radical prostatectomy 9years ago . The position of the tumour being very close to the back passage. I'm aware that I will experience some damage to that area . I wont be the first to go through this and wondered if there is anyone who could help me prepare for the journey .  

User
Posted 02 Mar 2021 at 11:17
My advice is not to follow the dietary advice you get from other men; your radiotherapy team will tell you if they want you to stick to a specific diet.

Most men seem to be told to avoid all caffeine, alcohol and any foods that can cause gas. But some have daily enemas, some don't. Some are told to eat very little roughage, others are asked to increase it. It all depends on your planning scan and where your prostate tumours are in relation to your bowel.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 02 Mar 2021 at 14:48

As well as dietary advice from the radiotherapy team, I would ask them what you should use if you experience soreness in your nether region. I was told to gently dab the area with a small amount of the very mild ointment generally used to treat nappy rash called 'Bepanthen', but other hospitals have other suggestions. Use a mild and non scented shower/soap and dab rather than rub the affected area.

Edited by member 03 Mar 2021 at 01:45  | Reason: spelling

Barry
User
Posted 02 Mar 2021 at 16:23
I am considering not having the RT. I will be 68 in June so a wee boy to you Barry however old enough consider the implications. Thank you both for your replies.
User
Posted 02 Mar 2021 at 16:45
There may not be any implications though Plumber - John had salvage RT with no side effects at all and nearly 9 years later his PSA is still a lovely healthy 0.1
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 02 Mar 2021 at 18:32
I don't have any particularly noticeable side-effects from my RT two years ago. I found the whole experience quite tolerable.

Chris
User
Posted 02 Mar 2021 at 19:42

I had brachy and EBRT. So probably only about half the dose of EBRT that you will be getting with no noticeable side effects. If I were you I wouldn't hesitate to have the RT.

Dave

User
Posted 02 Mar 2021 at 22:29

I had salvage RT and found it quite unpleasant.  During the treatment, I had both urinary and bowel incontinence.  Even now, 3 years after my treatment, my bowels still aren’t right and I’m being referred to a bowel clinic.

Have I any regrets?  None whatsoever.  My PSA is still <0.006.

User
Posted 03 Mar 2021 at 02:52
There are no guarantees and the best you can do is seek the opinion of a radiologist as to how likely and to what extent the RT might affect you and then make your decision whether to go ahead. There are systemic alternatives but how well and for how long these might be effective can't be predetermined and you still might need these after salvage RT anyway even if later on. Do you have the RT and improve your chances of ridding yourself of this cancer permanently or pushing it back albeit with some risk of organ damage or rely on down the line treatments as necessary? A decision only you can make.
Barry
User
Posted 25 Mar 2021 at 09:35

Hi, Question I have my planning scan tomorrow for salvage RT, I'm to take an enema tomorrow morning, I'm also to take one today should I take it in the morning as in now or last think at night? 

Thanks Willie

User
Posted 25 Mar 2021 at 10:39
Just to say I called the 0800 number and got the answer .I had my Prostap 3DCS 11.5mg injection on Thursday last week and had abdominal cramps and mild diarrhoea . I couldn't get through to my surgery however got the answer via another helpline and couldn't believe how simple the answer was . A hot gel pad and two paracetamols discomfort gone in seconds. My daughter gave me a Knowing laugh and said we ladies do this on a regular monthly basis.
Willie
User
Posted 18 Apr 2021 at 09:19

I Just completed my first week of RT everything went well apart from two issues.

firstly just as I was being positioned I decided .  I'm not doing this, cancel the RT. That I think was a mood swing .

Friday night and last night were horrible in that I couldn't get to sleep due to  muscular pain in my buttocks. I think I must have been very tensed whilst on the table. That pain persists now so I'm not looking forward to another night of discomfort . A heated gel pack has helped ease the pain😊.

Willie 

User
Posted 20 Apr 2021 at 03:09
Hi Just to say it turns out I have anxiety and have been prescribed Propranolol . It's 3am and I'm sitting on heated gel pads to ease the discomfort in my gluteus maximus. I also came across an excellent book April to April By Ian McLean . Its about Ian's war against prostate cancer and his research. I wish I had known about this book at the beginning of my battle even so its a great help to me at this stage and for the future.
User
Posted 20 Apr 2021 at 07:32
Hot water bottle is better than a gel pad IMHO. I think the anxiety is normal, you just have to get through it now so take any help you can get.