I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Age 49, prostate removed cleanly ... future risks

User
Posted 03 Mar 2021 at 09:06

Hi, I have just joined the community. At 49, I had my prostate removed (Dec 2019), and was very lucky as the post op tests showed that there was no spread of the cancer outside of the prostate; since then, all of my PSA tests have been almost zero. I have though read about people with similar stories but where the cancer came back and I am interested to know if that has happened to anyone here and what were the circumstances. Happy also to share my story or experience with anyone who think it may helkp them. Thanks all!

User
Posted 03 Mar 2021 at 09:27

Hi Billy, welcome. You will find quite a few on here who have had recurrence, but don't read much into that from a statistical point of view, the nature of a forum like this is that it attracts people with on going problems who need help. Hopefully most people who have treatment with curative intent are cured and just carry on with their lives. One problem with prostate cancer is that you never know if you are cured or just in remission. 

Edited by member 03 Mar 2021 at 09:29  | Reason: Not specified

Dave

User
Posted 03 Mar 2021 at 10:39
According to recent data, about 40% of men have a recurrence at some point after RP but that is partly because men at stage T1, T2 and T3a may all be offered surgery and those with the T2c / T3a are pulling the average down.

My husband had the RP at age 50 with a supposed diagnosed T1a and G7 (3+4) - he had salvage RT 2 years after the op. My dad had undetectable PSA for 18 years post-op and then had a recurrence.

Based on info from many members here over the last 11 years, the 2 year point seems to be significant for recurrence.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 03 Mar 2021 at 12:24
Playing with the SK nomograms reveals having a G4+ as the primary tumour as the largest risk for biochemical recurrence regardless of staging.

Going from a T2 to a T3 adds very little risk for G3 +3 and 3+4 tumours.

Adding T3 for G4+ increases risk from 40% to 20% chance of being BC free at 10 years.

PSA level does not seem to change the outcomes much I guess because RP would not be done where there is any chance of detectable metastasis ie >20.

Add you PSA results to your profile as it helps the commenters