Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Continence battle.

User
Posted 05 Apr 2021 at 17:00

Hi

I’m four weeks post opp  robotic surgery and my continence has got worse,I’ve went from 3 pads daily to 4 and have in the last ten days passed a lot of debris like old blood clots.

Has anyone experienced this or I’m worrying to much? any advice and guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Im three weeks post catheter removal ...maybe I’m panicking.

Alistair.

Edited by member 10 Apr 2021 at 16:15  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 05 Apr 2021 at 19:59

Passing old blood clots sounds like it could be clearing out.  It shouldn't be getting worse but I'd give it longer as the first couple of months can be a roller coaster experience. Are you increasing exercise or doing something you weren't doing before.  The leak can be so slight you don't notice and every step or movement can release a tiny bit more. Until it heals and your sphincter gets stronger and stronger.

User
Posted 05 Apr 2021 at 21:15
The fact you have some control is positive, keep drinking! No alcohol or caffeine. When you do have s proper pee practice stopping it, that's s great way to validate you are doing the PFE s correctly.
User
Posted 10 Apr 2021 at 23:29
Swallow your pride, wear pads that can cope and get on with life. I found that for years after the medics considered me fully continent I could have significant mishaps especially if alchahol was involved. Pretty much bomb proof 5.5 years later but I will still be careful if out partying - not that that happens much these days!

It's important you get exercise and stress your control that is how your body will re learn to control it. You can't do that without accidents now and again.

Oh and if it'd not better after a few months get a referral to the incontinence clinic, by the time my appointment came through it had just about sorted itself.

User
Posted 26 Apr 2021 at 08:49

Golly, reading that takes me back eighteen months to my post TWOC period. Like you, I despaired at times that nothing seemed to change, that I might end up wearing x number of pads per day. I was recommended to try the DribbleStop clamp, by my surgeon and by the Urology Physio. It worked a treat!  Just wear it for half an hour while you go out for a lovely, dry and leak-free walk. Or attend something you've been missing for fear of embarassment  -  choir rehearsal, in my case. It did wonders for morale, and that's the magic factor that gets you through. Now, eighteen months on, I wear a 'shield' (Level 0) on occasions but otherwise pretty much dry. And, happy to say, so far all PSA's undetectable.

User
Posted 08 Jul 2021 at 19:22

I’m now four months post op and my continence is improving quite well,I’m now dry through the night and down to I pad a day so this is good progress I’ve been told by the continence clinic.

I do kegal exercises daily and don’t take any caffeine drinks and very little alcohol for now.

I hope this information is helpful for anyone having a prostratectomy procedure.

User
Posted 12 May 2022 at 16:26

Hi Chris, thanks for your post…your still early days yet so just keep doing what your doing and things with improve.

My nurse instructed the following…drink the amount of tea and coffee I usually drink but caffeine free and also one bottle of water (500ml) morning and one in the afternoon and no drinks after 9pm. This improved things and kept me away from infection which I had soon after opp. Let your bladder fill up as much as you can this will also help.

Cheers.

User
Posted 12 May 2022 at 16:41

Hi Chris,   In the early days I was up four or five times during the night but about the one year mark I went down to one or two and occasionally no visits to the loo. 

User
Posted 13 May 2022 at 07:42

The 30% tensioning is (I am told) as much brain training as muscle exercise. It is not necessary and could be counter productive to apply full tension (when we could force out a squirt) at times when we apply stress e.g sitting, bending, sneezing etc. and so the idea is to make the 30% almost an involuntary action. Sounds reasonable to me and so I add it to my daily regime. I also was given some Pilates exercises during which I also apply the 30%.

Horses for courses maybe. We are none of us the same and I am sorely jealous of those who achieve continence comparatively very quickly after their catheter has been removed. Whilst I am, in truth, pleased for them, knowing that statistically some of us may never fully get there it does make me wonder if I will be amongst that group. 

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 05 Apr 2021 at 19:59

Passing old blood clots sounds like it could be clearing out.  It shouldn't be getting worse but I'd give it longer as the first couple of months can be a roller coaster experience. Are you increasing exercise or doing something you weren't doing before.  The leak can be so slight you don't notice and every step or movement can release a tiny bit more. Until it heals and your sphincter gets stronger and stronger.

User
Posted 05 Apr 2021 at 20:28

Thank you for your reply Peter,

Today I’ve drank a lot and have only had one proper pee the rest of the time I’m feeling leakage on every move and have had to use five pads today. There is still a lot of debris coming through and I wonder if this is affecting my bladder sphincter, I was able to have some control getting up from sitting or laying but that’s not good now.

I haven’t increased my exercise any just having a thirty minute walk each day and not doing anything strenuous so maybe when the debris clears things might improve.

I’m trying to stay positive.

Alistair.

User
Posted 05 Apr 2021 at 21:15
The fact you have some control is positive, keep drinking! No alcohol or caffeine. When you do have s proper pee practice stopping it, that's s great way to validate you are doing the PFE s correctly.
User
Posted 10 Apr 2021 at 15:19

Well looks like most debris has passed now and just seeing an odd piece, my continence hasn’t  got any worse or any better but I don’t leak when laying down or sitting still so having a decent pee several  times through the night.

I aim for a thirty minute walk every day, do the Kegel exercises and try to keep  moving about  the house but  moving about is when I leak so I find that quite off putting to say the least.

Anyway the fight goes on and hopefully get a sign of improvement soon I know I’m only just over three weeks post catheter so need to be patient.

thanks again for all advise and comments.

Edited by member 10 Apr 2021 at 15:31  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 10 Apr 2021 at 23:29
Swallow your pride, wear pads that can cope and get on with life. I found that for years after the medics considered me fully continent I could have significant mishaps especially if alchahol was involved. Pretty much bomb proof 5.5 years later but I will still be careful if out partying - not that that happens much these days!

It's important you get exercise and stress your control that is how your body will re learn to control it. You can't do that without accidents now and again.

Oh and if it'd not better after a few months get a referral to the incontinence clinic, by the time my appointment came through it had just about sorted itself.

User
Posted 26 Apr 2021 at 08:49

Golly, reading that takes me back eighteen months to my post TWOC period. Like you, I despaired at times that nothing seemed to change, that I might end up wearing x number of pads per day. I was recommended to try the DribbleStop clamp, by my surgeon and by the Urology Physio. It worked a treat!  Just wear it for half an hour while you go out for a lovely, dry and leak-free walk. Or attend something you've been missing for fear of embarassment  -  choir rehearsal, in my case. It did wonders for morale, and that's the magic factor that gets you through. Now, eighteen months on, I wear a 'shield' (Level 0) on occasions but otherwise pretty much dry. And, happy to say, so far all PSA's undetectable.

User
Posted 28 Apr 2021 at 17:19

Thanks for your reply Brian

I’m now seven week’s post opp and since receiving a drinking schedule from the incontinence nurse a week ago my leakage has improved and has given me reassurance I’m making progress  (all be it small) which is great.

My aim is to be where you are Brian after 18 months so your story encourages me a lot ...thank you for sharing it.

User
Posted 29 Apr 2021 at 08:20

Good luck, and be patient! But don't be afraid to push yourself sometimes. Coming back after a rather 'leaky' walk didn't put me off walking.

I was also lucky to hear about 'hypopressives'  -  I wrote a thread about those, somewhere on this forum, a while back. A system of boosting your core muscles (diaphragm, abdominal muscles, back muscles) with the effect of lowering the intra-abdominal pressure. It's that pressure which can bear down on the bladder and make it so much more difficult to keep control. Anyway, an online course of hypopressive breathing exercises undoubtedly helped, and even now if I sense the bladder is being pressured from above, I can brace those core muscles and the sensation goes. Magic!

User
Posted 08 Jul 2021 at 19:22

I’m now four months post op and my continence is improving quite well,I’m now dry through the night and down to I pad a day so this is good progress I’ve been told by the continence clinic.

I do kegal exercises daily and don’t take any caffeine drinks and very little alcohol for now.

I hope this information is helpful for anyone having a prostratectomy procedure.

User
Posted 24 Nov 2021 at 16:56

I’m now ten months post op and continence  in good one pad per day but still get a bit tender and seep and dribble sometimes so hopefully will still get a bit more recovery. Also most of my strength is back so I think I’m on the right road.

I hope this info is useful.

cheers.

User
Posted 24 Nov 2021 at 19:38
Great news AwgK - continence can continue to improve beyond the 12 month mark.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 12 May 2022 at 12:10
Hello,

It's been over 2 years since my prostatectomy. I still use 1 slim pad during the day (more for reassurance) as I occasionally dribble, although dry at night. However, I occasionally have accidents if too much alcohol is consumed, so have to be careful. What I have neglected and find difficult to maintain is the need to do daily pelvic exercises, which would help with improved bladder control.

User
Posted 12 May 2022 at 15:56
Hi Rick

Thanks for your post this is good information for me.

I am now 14 months post opp and looks like I’m much the same position as yourself, I still get some tenderness after peeing and was hoping that might improve. Do you think continuing with the excersies helps at this stage?

User
Posted 12 May 2022 at 15:57

Hi, thanks  for that information.

User
Posted 12 May 2022 at 16:12

Hi Alistair, I hope you are still following the thread you started last Year. I am still two and a half months down the same frustratingly slow continence journey. The Squeezy App, resuming pilates, cutting out cafine and moderating alcohol to very occasional are all helping but like you walking around is still the main issue. I can manage about an hour's walking (which is one of my hobbies) with just a few dribbles but the longer I extend it the more the sphincter and and pelvic muscles give way to a dribble of pee that gradually empties my bladder.

I'm interested to know what the drinking schedule devised by the Incontinence Nurse was about. I'll give anything a go if it will help.

User
Posted 12 May 2022 at 16:26

Hi Chris, thanks for your post…your still early days yet so just keep doing what your doing and things with improve.

My nurse instructed the following…drink the amount of tea and coffee I usually drink but caffeine free and also one bottle of water (500ml) morning and one in the afternoon and no drinks after 9pm. This improved things and kept me away from infection which I had soon after opp. Let your bladder fill up as much as you can this will also help.

Cheers.

User
Posted 12 May 2022 at 16:35

Thanks Alistair, I'll give that a try. My fluid intake has been somewhat less formalised, although I don't drink anything after 7.00 pm. However even that still doesn't stop my kidneys going into warp drive when I go to sleep. They push out 1.2-1.3 litres overnight. Even a completely normal bladder would struggle to hold that amount until morning. Chris

User
Posted 12 May 2022 at 16:41

Hi Chris,   In the early days I was up four or five times during the night but about the one year mark I went down to one or two and occasionally no visits to the loo. 

User
Posted 12 May 2022 at 19:11

Hi, 

I am 6 months post op. Some days, when I am inactive, I can be dry, other days I can get by on one Tena level 1 to catch an occasional stress leak. .If I am doing heavy work, I will leak a bit more, but no flooding. I have always been dry overnight and don't drink after 7:00pm. Still hoping to improve furthet.

My surgeon has advised me not to let my bladder fill to bursting as it will put pressure on my urinary sphincter and so I void fairly regularly. 

My pelvic health physio has confirmed that PF exercises are a life long regime but really only need to be done three times daily for the first 6 months and then gradually reduced to once daily. She also had me practising tensing the muscle at 30% strength for 30 seconds or so and similarly whilst walking. 

Another tip was not to do PF exercises late in the day when the muscle is tired as it could be counter productive. 

Hope this is helpful. 

Peter

User
Posted 12 May 2022 at 19:44

Hi Peter. Thanks for all that info …cheers 

User
Posted 12 May 2022 at 20:17

Thanks Peter. Yes, I've certainly discovered that activity and continence are inversely proportional to each other. The 30% tensioning is interesting. I've found myself doing that while walking but I suppose like all muscles you can't keep them in tension for sustained periods. I try to do everything right including PF four times a day but I suppose I have to accept that we all recover continence at different rates.

I had a telephone appointment with a nephrologist this afternoon for a separate illness and asked whether producing 1.2 - 1.3 litres of urine during sleeping is normal. It's not normal apparently and this only seems to have started post op. He says my bloods are indicating good kidney functions and he couldn't explain why this was happening (I don't suffer from fluid retention). I had a lot of lymph nodes removed (34) and I'm wondering whether it is to do with a build up of lymph. When I'm horizontal the lymph finds it's way back into the lymph system more easily and results in an excess of fluid in the bloodstream. Anyone out there experience anything similar?

User
Posted 13 May 2022 at 07:42

The 30% tensioning is (I am told) as much brain training as muscle exercise. It is not necessary and could be counter productive to apply full tension (when we could force out a squirt) at times when we apply stress e.g sitting, bending, sneezing etc. and so the idea is to make the 30% almost an involuntary action. Sounds reasonable to me and so I add it to my daily regime. I also was given some Pilates exercises during which I also apply the 30%.

Horses for courses maybe. We are none of us the same and I am sorely jealous of those who achieve continence comparatively very quickly after their catheter has been removed. Whilst I am, in truth, pleased for them, knowing that statistically some of us may never fully get there it does make me wonder if I will be amongst that group.