I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

UTI after surgery?

User
Posted 06 Apr 2021 at 16:56

Hi all, did anyone have any issues with UTI after surgery? About three weeks after surgery I went to GP due to having mild discomfort and cloudy urine. I was given a week's worth of antibiotics. Four days after those has finished I had some discomfort again, back to GP and urine test showed UTI still so another seven day course of antibiotics. Again four days or so have passed and I dropped off a urine sample this morning to make sure it's cleared and no, looks like it hasn't so another course of antibiotics prescribed. I'm concerned after the prostate surgery as I don't want a long term issue down there causing problems with my recovery.

User
Posted 07 Apr 2021 at 22:41
Yes I had one, but one course of antibiotics worked, although I had to go the full course pretty much before it cleared. However, when I had my first biopsy it took 3 different antibiotics to clear the subsequent infection.

As you are no doubt aware, bugs are getting resistant to antibiotics, so I don't think multiple tries are that unusual any more.

User
Posted 08 Apr 2021 at 10:11
Has the GP cultured your P and tested it for antibiotic resistance?? If not they need to otherwise you are wasting your time.
User
Posted 08 Apr 2021 at 10:34

Chris 

Just been reading your previous posts, "the sharp yank" is a concern my RARP catheter got stuck on the way out.The senior nurse gave it a swift yank and my surgeon is convinced that was the cause of a stricture that has caused me problems ever since. 

I suffered with a few UTIs post op, as already said getting the right antibiotics is imperative. 

I and a few others on here had issues with the migration of surgical clips into the bladder or urethera, which in my case was connected with infections. Quite rare but something to bear in mind.

I was still passing debris and bits at least seven weeks after surgery.

Thanks Chris