Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Returning to the gym

User
Posted 07 Apr 2021 at 11:36

Hi all

When can I return to the gym? Had robotic surgery 5 weeks ago.

TIA

User
Posted 07 Apr 2021 at 12:40
Best to ask your surgeon that question when you have your post-op review.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 07 Apr 2021 at 14:14
Listen to what your body tells you in terms of pain. When I had very similar surgery in 2018 it was a good three months before I could do anything strenuous, particularly when it came to lifting heavy weights. Don't risk tearing open the healing abdominal muscles that were cut during your surgery.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 07 Apr 2021 at 19:53

Hi, it depends what you do at the gym.    Five weeks.  I'd think your stomach won't have healed enough to do anything too stressful.   My central stomach wound was a barometer.  It soon lets you know quite painfully.

If you break a healing wound it could cause long term problems, like creating scar tissue between the bladder and urethra that stops you urinating properly although another op should fix it.

Some people push themselves, but I'd wait 8 weeks and then be gentle.

As Lyn says you should ask your doctor although I reckoned on common sense and because I went on holiday for 4 weeks it was 3 months before I went to the gym.

I've not been recently for over 12 months and reckon it will be another 6 weeks before I go again due to the Pandemic and my vaccination dates so you can judge my caution.

Regards Peter

User
Posted 10 Apr 2021 at 08:40

Steady , Steady .

I had my op end July 2020. i was fit and healthy before hand, and "trained myself for surgery.

I was walking 3km after a week or so, very slow. Built up my confidence but did no weights for some weeks. i went on a 3km run after 6 weeks, very slowly but no issues, leakage etc. 

I returned to work and to exercise, in Oct 2020, and steadily bulit up my strength and confidence. i didnt push myself, just did what i could, and avoided pain. If there is pain you are doing too much. 

I am now out running 8km, doing circuit training, and basically back to where I was pre surgery. 

Its a long path, but you can get there by being careful and patient. 

listen to your body.

Keep doing the exercises , they really do help .

Best of luck

User
Posted 10 Apr 2021 at 11:20
I think I said in another similar thread, my OH wouldn't even walk,our dogs until 12 weeks. Admittedly they are big powerful mutts but we erred on the side of caution. Anything that uses abdominal muscles is a danger, internal tears, hernias.

You have to tell,yourself that your surgeon did a great job with intricate surgery and you don't want to mess it up.

Maybe we were over cautious, I don't know. But he's had an uneventful recovery, which is what everyone wants.