Show search

Notification

Error
12>

PSA. after surgery.

User
Posted 21 Apr 2021 at 09:59

I had surgery 4 Feb 2021.  

Pathology report came back as negative margin. So that was a good start.

My first PSA test done may be a bit too soon was 0.164 

Surgeon asked  me to do another one 1 month later... ie 13th April.  PSA result same .... 0.164

He said not too worry and to do another test in 3 months time.  For him the concern would have been if reading was over 0.2.

Has anyone experience the same ? 

User
Posted 22 Apr 2021 at 18:53
Sorry - I wouldn't be waiting for another PSA test in 3 months, regardless of what the surgeon or nurse said. If you were my husband or father we would be asking for a referral to oncology right now.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 21 Apr 2021 at 17:44

I'm a bit surprised it is the same right down to the last digit. I think someone has read the same result back to you twice. Have you seen the print out and checked the dates? If you got the result over the phone, it might be worth phoning again and asking them to read both sets of results with the dates back to you.

I'm not saying the chance of getting the same result down to three decimal places is one in a thousand, but I'd willingly bet £20 against £1 that you have been given the same results twice. 

Dave

User
Posted 23 Apr 2021 at 21:00

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

yes exactly that ... with a negative margin First PSA result should be 0 ( zero)...    that I why I post this question to see if anyone else had this experience !.

No; no one gets a zero PSA as tiny amounts are made elsewhere in the body - even women can have measurable PSA. But with no prostate, your PSA should be undetectable - depending on the hospital this is usually reported as <0.1 or <0.04 or similar. I think that you have misinterpreted the significance of a negative margin - it doesn’t guarantee that the op was successful. 

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 27 Apr 2021 at 20:11

I found your thread after searching after a discussion re my most recent PSA test today.

I had my prostate removed in 2018.

I am have been on 6 month tests, my previous one was .03 but the latest one is .1

They are bringing my next PSA test forward to 3 months.

I’m still in the ‘undetectable’ range but worrying a little about the increase nonetheless.

Hopefully the next test won’t show a further increase.

It seems to be a waiting game.

User
Posted 01 Nov 2021 at 17:23

My op was nearly 3 years ago and in that time my psa has risen slowly from undetectable to 0.7. My last test it had dropped to 0.6 which was good news!

My consultant has maintained during this time that he is not too concerned unless my psa jumps more than it has done previously or doubles within a test period (3 months), in which case I would have a petscan to pinpoint the area for treatment!

Viseo, are you saying that your urologist hasn't referred you to an oncologist yet? If so, that is shocking - you should ask for an oncology referral without delay! 

User
Posted 03 Dec 2021 at 23:12

Phil you are right to be vigilant PSA after prostatectomy should be stable and ideally a "less than". You need to keep an eye on it.

Goforarun, with that 4+3 +margin and 0.1 you should be under an oncologist not a surgeon.

Lyn is stuck in the past re USPSA... Rising PSA after surgery is a red flag that should not be ignored. Certainly don't let your GP tell you 0.1 is "normal"!!

No, I am not stuck in the past; responses like yours encourage hysteria. You know perfectly well that usPSA has been discredited and more & more hospitals are dropping it in favour of 1 decimal place readings. You have no idea whether Phil's GP practice has missed the < sign, whether Phil has missed the <, whether the person typing up the results didn't know that the < was significant, whether he just produces a measurable amount of PSA from elsewhere in his body, when his last vaccine was, whether there is any evidence that the vaccine affects PSA, whether the hospital / GP has changed lab provider, whether lab provider has recalibrated the machines, whether the two samples were processed at different labs or even whether both blood samples were taken at the same time of day. 

So at this stage, many possible explanations other than a recurrence  

Edited by member 03 Dec 2021 at 23:24  | Reason: Fat fingers

User
Posted 17 Feb 2022 at 12:25
Your figures are all basically identical at uspsa levels (assuming you have your decimal points in the right place).

You had a positive margin so that is a concern, I would want to know the G score at the margin location. If it was a 3 then it's less of a worry than a 4.

Either way just keep an eye on it, latest research suggests no benefit from early salvage therapy before 0.1 so try to stop worrying and concentrate on enjoying life.

User
Posted 17 Feb 2022 at 12:49

Franc’s reply is sage advice. You are doing the right thing by monitoring it. You may well find it will stay below a levels where further treatment is advised. The best thing you can do is to know you’re doing all your can right now and try and not think about it too much. Many of us have been in your shoes so understand what you’re going through.

The prostate UK helpline nurses are fabulous so a conversation with them might help put your mind at rest.  

Take it easy and all the best  

User
Posted 17 Feb 2022 at 21:46
It is good to keep an eye on it, because of the positive margin, but I think you are over-worrying at present - your 21/6/2021 PSA (0.009) could have been 0.0094 and your 7/1/2022 PSA (0.01) could actually have been 0.0095. Generally speaking, if there is a biochemical recurrence due to positive margin, it shows itself within the first two years and your PSA is still 20 times lower than the threshold for BCR.

Also, PSA isn't always completely static - I doubt very much that the 0.006 was a mistake, just a low reading day. Do you always have your blood taken at the same time of day?

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 21 Apr 2021 at 17:44

I'm a bit surprised it is the same right down to the last digit. I think someone has read the same result back to you twice. Have you seen the print out and checked the dates? If you got the result over the phone, it might be worth phoning again and asking them to read both sets of results with the dates back to you.

I'm not saying the chance of getting the same result down to three decimal places is one in a thousand, but I'd willingly bet £20 against £1 that you have been given the same results twice. 

Dave

User
Posted 21 Apr 2021 at 19:02

Yes... that make me think now !...  

It was an over the phone result.  I will call the nurse in the morning to check it again !....

Will post result asap...

Thanks

User
Posted 22 Apr 2021 at 08:54

Hi Dave.

Well,,,,  you lost £20 ....     

The nurse confirm that result is correct ... both reading at 0.164

And she said the same...no worry unless it was 0.2

So booked another PSA test in 3 month now.

Anyway , i am curious to know if anyone else as same sort or reading after a Negative Margin result from pathology ?

Cheers.

User
Posted 22 Apr 2021 at 10:34

0.164 is not a great post-prostatectomy PSA reading, and I am afraid that you will likely have adjuvant hormone and radiotherapies to look forward to ☹️.

On a more positive note, I and two friends all had prostate surgery about the same time three years ago, and whilst my PSA was and is still undetectable, they both had recurrence, but following the treatments mentioned above they are both cancer-free now.

Best of luck.

Cheers, John.

Edited by member 22 Apr 2021 at 11:22  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 22 Apr 2021 at 16:43

D'oh!!

Oh well, rather than go through all the hassle of sending you £20 I shall just take it to the nearest pub, and hand it to the barman. You can then walk into your local pub order £20 of beer and when he asks for the money just say it's on Dave.

Anyway as Bollinge says, it is not a great result. It does seem to imply that there are some prostate cells lurking somewhere. If you are lucky it will just hold steady for a while, but I think some additional treatment will be required soon.  

Dave

User
Posted 22 Apr 2021 at 18:53
Sorry - I wouldn't be waiting for another PSA test in 3 months, regardless of what the surgeon or nurse said. If you were my husband or father we would be asking for a referral to oncology right now.

User
Posted 23 Apr 2021 at 17:31

I had my op just over 2 years ago, psa was undetectable after 1st psa test but since then it has slowly started to rise - currently gone up to 0.5 recently, so due a MRI scan shortly but I'm not sure if it will detect anything. I think I will opt for RT even though my Oncologist said we could wait until my psa has risen to 1.0 when a PET scan will pick up any areas that need treatment.

User
Posted 23 Apr 2021 at 17:55

Viseoby ... Did the pathology report for you at the time was a Negative Margin ?  

This is why I am curious if this happen to others !...

They said that below 0.2 it is not to be consider as a recurrence !  But a bit concern about it.... will ask to do another PSA sooner than 3 months to be sure it is not rising !

User
Posted 23 Apr 2021 at 18:10
No my path report said positive margin with staging of pT2c pN0, although I must admit to being unsure what the difference is between positive or negative margins - I guess it could be if the tumour is or isn't close to breaking out of the prostate but I could well be wrong!
User
Posted 23 Apr 2021 at 19:04
Just checked what positive margins relates to - seems I was wide of the mark, so no wonder my psa is rising after surgery!!
User
Posted 23 Apr 2021 at 20:02

yes exactly that ... with a negative margin First PSA result should be 0 ( zero)...    that I why I post this question to see if anyone else had this experience !.

User
Posted 23 Apr 2021 at 20:56

Berni, you can have recurrence with a negative margin - it could have tracked along the seminal vesicles or the nerve bundles that control erections or it could already have reached a nearby lymph node before your op. I have to say though that with a post-op PSA of 0.16 it could be more than just a little bit left behind in the prostate bed. Hopefully the onco will check for micro mets in the bones or spread to the wider lymphatic system.

Edited by member 24 Apr 2021 at 00:39  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 23 Apr 2021 at 21:00

No; no one gets a zero PSA as tiny amounts are made elsewhere in the body - even women can have measurable PSA. But with no prostate, your PSA should be undetectable - depending on the hospital this is usually reported as <0.1 or <0.04 or similar. I think that you have misinterpreted the significance of a negative margin - it doesn’t guarantee that the op was successful. 

User
Posted 23 Apr 2021 at 21:03

Just checked what positive margins relates to - seems I was wide of the mark, so no wonder my psa is rising after surgery!!

Yes, someone should have explained that to you Visoboy. Urologists have to publish their data on how often they leave a positive margin - it means that there is a strong possibility that some cancer has been left behind in the prostate bed. Your PSA confirms that. 

The difference between you and Berni is that because you had a positive margin, they can work out fairly reliably where to target the radiotherapy. In Berni’s case they would need to run scans and hope that the active cancer cells show up. 

Edited by member 23 Apr 2021 at 21:06  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 23 Apr 2021 at 21:15

Hi,  It is strange to have 2 tests the same result.   I had 2 tests within a week at initial diagnosis and they were 0.01 different, the last one lower as I'd been very well behaved I think.   It's a very small change granted but after a month I'd think it'd be more than that.    If you could go another month unchanged and then another it would look promising.

I'm not sure about this, but the bit left behind doesn't need to be cancerous.   0.164 is about 5% of normal and higher than you'd expect but nothing is certain.

Also whether 0.1 or 0.2 are significant seems to be another rough guideline.   I'd be worried if my psa was rising reasonably quickly if it was much less than 0.2.  If went up by 0.1 every year I'd be worried but then think I could last 30 years at that rate.  Rate of increase is important, and doubling often important.

One thing to note is take the tests at the same place as fractional differences are more likely.  I'd be pushing for a test after 1 month and as said above be looking at contingency.

All the best, Peter

p.s. I've just read Lyn's new comments and haven't factored them in.  I try to think of the better outcomes although I'm one of the world's worst worriers.

Edited by member 23 Apr 2021 at 21:17  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 27 Apr 2021 at 20:11

I found your thread after searching after a discussion re my most recent PSA test today.

I had my prostate removed in 2018.

I am have been on 6 month tests, my previous one was .03 but the latest one is .1

They are bringing my next PSA test forward to 3 months.

I’m still in the ‘undetectable’ range but worrying a little about the increase nonetheless.

Hopefully the next test won’t show a further increase.

It seems to be a waiting game.

User
Posted 27 Apr 2021 at 22:30
Mike, it can't be undetectable and 0.1 so can you confirm? Either it is <0.1 in which case they have just changed the reporting from 2 decimal places to 1 decimal place OR your PSA has risen to 0.1 and is now detectable.

User
Posted 28 Apr 2021 at 01:23

12/03/2021 u/k SERUM

PROSTATE SPECIFIC ANTIGEN 0.10 ug/L ( Comments :

Please note amended age specific thresholds in accordance with the Updated Pan London Suspected Cancer Guidelines. Effective from 05/12/2018

Here’s the latest test. They said it was still classed as undetectable. 

Edited by member 28 Apr 2021 at 01:26  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 28 Apr 2021 at 07:39
Who are they? 0.1 is not undetectable. <0.1 is undetectable.

With a G9 and a rise of 0.07 over 6 months in the mix I would be asking to see the oncologist now.

User
Posted 28 Apr 2021 at 15:20

Who are they? 0.1 is not undetectable. <0.1 is undetectable.

From an Analytical Chemistry point-of-view "undetectable" is a horribly incorrect phrase to use in this instance anyway since we all know that PSA IS detectable to 3 dps (but not on all systems) and they've quoted precision of 0.10, meaning the true value is between 0.095 and 0.104

_____

Two cannibals named Ectomy and Prost, all alone on a Desert island.

Prost was the strongest, so Prost ate Ectomy.

User
Posted 28 Apr 2021 at 15:38
In historic terms of PSA measurement anything less than 0.1 was considered undetectable. Ultra sensitive testing has muddied the water but old terms die hard.

My last USPSA test 2 years ago was 0.03 I have chosen to revert to the standard test because my medical team said they would not consider doing anything unless I got to 0.1 and I agreed with them hence I only have the standard (old) test now.

Next one is due soon already stressing!

User
Posted 28 Apr 2021 at 16:24

PSA IS detectable to 3 dps (but not on all systems) 

My understanding is that all the labs have the capacity to test to the lower limit - it is just that many Trusts choose not to report it beyond 1dp. No doubt if there was an exceptional reason for doing it, any lab would be able to pull an usPSA out of the bag because they are testing all samples to that sensitivity and then rounding up. 

.... and / or it could just be that the person typing up Mike's result didn't know what the funny little sideways hat meant so didn't included it on the record - we have seen that happen here a number of times and it once happened to John :-/ 

User
Posted 30 Apr 2021 at 09:16

Just to update. Unless it goes over the .1 they don’t think it’s worth seeing an oncologist as they won’t do anything more than monitor at this stage but the fact it was G9 T3b obviously does put me at higher risk of residual disease or recurrence so they’re bringing my next test forward to two months after my last one which is now in about two weeks time. This will hopefully give further insight into the trend.  

User
Posted 31 Oct 2021 at 19:55

Update on my PSA level. 

it stayed at .1 for a couple of the tests but the latest one was .2. Waiting on oncologist appointment. 

Presumably my options are limited and there’s not some new magic bullet.

We all live in hope. :-)

User
Posted 01 Nov 2021 at 12:13
My op was nearly 3 years ago and in that time my psa has risen slowly from undetectable to 0.7. My last test it had dropped to 0.6 which was good news!

My consultant has maintained during this time that he is not too concerned unless my psa jumps more than it has done previously or doubles within a test period (3 months), in which case I would have a petscan to pinpoint the area for treatment!

User
Posted 01 Nov 2021 at 12:18

That is great news that it’s gone down. I’ve been told aside from the doubling time they look at the Gleason score and earlier treatment is frequently used if it’s high. What was yours? Mine was 9. 

User
Posted 01 Nov 2021 at 17:23

Viseo, are you saying that your urologist hasn't referred you to an oncologist yet? If so, that is shocking - you should ask for an oncology referral without delay! 

User
Posted 02 Nov 2021 at 10:47

Hi Lyn,

Sorry I should have made my post a bit clearer, I've been under a consultant oncologist for nearly 2 years, ever since my psa went up to 0.2 and it is he who is happy to monitor my psa every 3 months.

User
Posted 02 Nov 2021 at 10:51

Hi Mike,

My gleason score was 4+4 when I had my op. I'm sure your consultant will do what's best for you, likewise I hope that my consultant oncologist is steering me towards the course thats best for me!!

All the best

Rob

User
Posted 02 Nov 2021 at 10:59

Thanks Rob, every case is different so we have to rely on their expertise to guide us through. That said I’m going to hit them up with a lot of questions!

Wishing you all the best and a positive outcome. 

User
Posted 02 Nov 2021 at 13:29

Hi Lyn,

Sorry I should have made my post a bit clearer, I've been under a consultant oncologist for nearly 2 years, ever since my psa went up to 0.2 and it is he who is happy to monitor my psa every 3 months.

Ha! That's a relief! 

User
Posted 03 Dec 2021 at 13:26

Hi all.

I had my prostate removed in July 2020 and biopsy indicated the cancer had remained contained within the prostate gland.

My  first PSA post operation in January 2021 gave a reading of 0.014 ug/L , my second reading in September 2021 showed a reading of 0.025 ug/ L.

I have to go for another PSA test this month so we will hopefully get an idea as to what is going on.

User
Posted 03 Dec 2021 at 17:24
What makes you think something is going on? These look like excellent PSA results!

User
Posted 03 Dec 2021 at 17:32
Yep. I'd love those readings!
User
Posted 03 Dec 2021 at 21:00
Phil you are right to be vigilant PSA after prostatectomy should be stable and ideally a "less than". You need to keep an eye on it.

Goforarun, with that 4+3 +margin and 0.1 you should be under an oncologist not a surgeon.

Lyn is stuck in the past re USPSA... Rising PSA after surgery is a red flag that should not be ignored. Certainly don't let your GP tell you 0.1 is "normal"!!

User
Posted 03 Dec 2021 at 22:44

Yeah I also  thought that my PSA after radical surgery and a confirmed biopsy of not leakage out of the prostrate would mean my PSA would remain stable and not rise.

I accept its a low reading, but as I understand it should not rise ? lets see what my reading is in the next week or so. fingers crossed.

User
Posted 03 Dec 2021 at 23:12

No, I am not stuck in the past; responses like yours encourage hysteria. You know perfectly well that usPSA has been discredited and more & more hospitals are dropping it in favour of 1 decimal place readings. You have no idea whether Phil's GP practice has missed the < sign, whether Phil has missed the <, whether the person typing up the results didn't know that the < was significant, whether he just produces a measurable amount of PSA from elsewhere in his body, when his last vaccine was, whether there is any evidence that the vaccine affects PSA, whether the hospital / GP has changed lab provider, whether lab provider has recalibrated the machines, whether the two samples were processed at different labs or even whether both blood samples were taken at the same time of day. 

So at this stage, many possible explanations other than a recurrence  

Edited by member 03 Dec 2021 at 23:24  | Reason: Fat fingers

User
Posted 04 Dec 2021 at 10:13

I'm under a MDT at a leading Urology centre in London. The surgeon is the one I speak to at the moment. The trigger for salvage RT at that hospital is three consecutive rises above 0.1 or PSA of 0.2 or above. This hasn't happened yet. It's a concern, obviously, but I think they know what they are doing.

Edited by member 04 Dec 2021 at 10:14  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 04 Dec 2021 at 21:32

Hi there , I'm no expert as relatively new to all of this, all that said i think you are may be right you have had your PSA measured too soon after your radical prostate removal, I was told to wait for six months before having my first PSA reading ?

as ever with these things try not to worry too much I'm sure you will be fine and trust your specialist, I was operation on at one of the teaching hospitals in Sheffield and the team of experts have always been very reassuring and positive about early interventions when applicable.

User
Posted 04 Dec 2021 at 23:53
That is very unusual Phil - normal practice in England and Wales is first PSA test 6 weeks post-op and then 3 or 6 months later. The 6 week test is a critical indicator if active cancer cells have been left behind and adjuvant RT is needed.

User
Posted 05 Dec 2021 at 08:05

Morning Lyne, the consultant who performed my RP informed me that he thought that during the operation the C had not leaked out of the prostate and the lymph areas around the prostate were clear and intact, so I basically went home the same day as the operation in July 2020 and was sent for my first PSA reading in  January 2021 and then  he met with me in the April 2021 and reviewed my PSA and  biopsy results and suggested everything  was ok and to have a second PSA in September 2021 , which is where we are at ? 

User
Posted 05 Dec 2021 at 10:01
Bizarre and not normal practice at all; waiting 9 months to get your biopsy results would be a scandal to most men. Sounds like he has a bit of an ego.

User
Posted 05 Dec 2021 at 18:18

No, I am not stuck in the past; responses like yours encourage hysteria. You know perfectly well that usPSA has been discredited and more & more hospitals are dropping it in favour of 1 decimal place readings. You have no idea whether Phil's GP practice has missed the < sign, whether Phil has missed the <, whether the person typing up the results didn't know that the < was significant, whether he just produces a measurable amount of PSA from elsewhere in his body, when his last vaccine was, whether there is any evidence that the vaccine affects PSA, whether the hospital / GP has changed lab provider, whether lab provider has recalibrated the machines, whether the two samples were processed at different labs or even whether both blood samples were

It's anecdotal I know but most guys report at least 2 decimal places on here post prostatectomy so I'm not convinced you are correct about hospitals dropping the USPSA test. 

I certainly don't think I am hysterical recommending Phil keeps an eye on it. My own experience with GP PSA testing proves you cannot rely on GP standard PSA testing!

User
Posted 05 Dec 2021 at 20:19

I'm not sure if it was Covid related ? In terms of a delay in the timeline , or whether the surgeon  felt that when performing the operation he commented I was clear of any potential spread to the lymph area around the  prostate>

I also assumed that he'd had the biopsy back before I had my six month PSA and was reassured that this confirmed the cancer was contained and had not spread out of the prostate ? 

I will post the question to him though on my next visit.

User
Posted 17 Feb 2022 at 12:05

Hello everyone

My first post to this forum (feeling brave today!). Thank you so much for this conversation and contribution to this forum, I've found them very helpful.

Having said that, I'm feeling a little nervous and just wanted to get some support on my situation and to be told 'you have nothing to worry about'! 

So here's my history:

11/7/2019: PSA 1.7 abnormal shape on feel

19/8/2019: MRI  No prostate tumour seen PIRAD2

4/2/2020: PSA 2.2

25/3/2020 Prostate Biopsy: PSA 2.2, DRE Firm R, MRI R. Composite Gleason Grade 3+3=6. Greatest % of a core 100% (10mm core RLP). Perineural invasion: Present. Conclusion: Prostate Template Biosies Adenocarcinoma Grade 1 (gleason3) in.

26/6/2020: bilateral nerve preserving (85% on the right and full on the left) anterior-approach robotic radical prostatectomy for 4 mm diathermied margin-positive Gleason 3+4 pT2cNx (robotic RP)

17/9/2020 PSA 0.008

22/12/2020 PSA 0.009

24/3/2021 PSA <0.006  (???? suspect measurement)

21/6/2021 PSA 0.009

7/1/2022 PSA 0.01

So, why am I worried?  Well, I guess its because of my 4 mm Positive Margin and my PSA is rising, albeit very slowly. Should I be concerned? I was due to have a PSA reading now every 6 months, then once a year, but my surgeon has put me on 3 monthly PSA checks as he's concerned for the same reasons. It looks to me like a waiting game, just to see what the doubling time is (PSA acceleration). 

Thank you so much, Matthew

Edited by member 17 Feb 2022 at 12:10  | Reason: typo

User
Posted 17 Feb 2022 at 12:25
Your figures are all basically identical at uspsa levels (assuming you have your decimal points in the right place).

You had a positive margin so that is a concern, I would want to know the G score at the margin location. If it was a 3 then it's less of a worry than a 4.

Either way just keep an eye on it, latest research suggests no benefit from early salvage therapy before 0.1 so try to stop worrying and concentrate on enjoying life.

User
Posted 17 Feb 2022 at 12:49

Franc’s reply is sage advice. You are doing the right thing by monitoring it. You may well find it will stay below a levels where further treatment is advised. The best thing you can do is to know you’re doing all your can right now and try and not think about it too much. Many of us have been in your shoes so understand what you’re going through.

The prostate UK helpline nurses are fabulous so a conversation with them might help put your mind at rest.  

Take it easy and all the best  

User
Posted 17 Feb 2022 at 18:59

Thank you so much. Its complicated stuff this. Here's my pathology report:

MICROSCOPY
This radical prostatectomy specimen shows acinar adenocarcinoma, Gleason score 3+4=7 (approximately 90% Gleason pattern 3).
The tumour is present as bilateral nodules, with a dominant nodule estimated to measure 20mm in maximum diameter, located in the right posterior quadrant. The focus on the left is minimal, much less than 1mm in diameter.
Estimated tumour volume: 1.25cc (5% of prostate volume).
No extraprostatic spread is seen.
No bladder neck invasion is seen.
No invasion of the seminal vesicles is seen.
No lymphovascular invasion is seen.
Margins: The apical and base margins are clear. The circumferential margin, where sampled for frozen section, showed a 4mm positive front, right posterior, towards the base, as reported at the time. The tumour also abuts the diathermied circumferential margin immediately anterior to the frozen section site, right posterior, over a 4mm area (slide A12).

The separately submitted proximal right neurovascular bundle sample shows no involvement by prostatic carcinoma and the true surgical margin at this location is therefore regarded as clear.

DIAGNOSIS
Prostate, radical prostatectomy:
Acinar adenocarcinoma, Gleason score 3+4=7
Margins: Apical and base margins clear. Circumferential margin positive over a 4mm area within frozen section (but right neurovascular bundle negative) and a 4mm area adjacent to frozen section site (right side, tumour showing diathermy
artefact)
Staging (TNM 8th ed.): pT2

So, I have a 4 mm margin, but it looks like this is mostly 90% Gleason pattern 3, which I guess is positive news.
I also know its a good thing the the positive margin was diathermied (cut with a hot knife killing many cells in the process and this is likely to have killed off any cancer cells at that site)
My decimal points are all correct! ;-)

During the operation they performed a 'frozen section' and they thought, at that time, I had a positive margin on this part they did a frozen section on. So they did a 'reselection' at this site (went back to take some tissue away).  Only turns out this wasn't a positive margin at all but there was a positive margin right next to it! So the re-selection at that site was unnecessary and they missed the positive margin that was there.

I guess once I've had a good number of PSA blood tests and they don't show much of an increase I'll start to rest a bit more. Its on my mind a lot, too much it feels like.
I've had a chat with one of the specialist nurses and they are truly great. Perhaps I should have another conversation to mull it over.

thank you so much for your replies.
Matthew

Edited by member 17 Feb 2022 at 19:07  | Reason: update

User
Posted 17 Feb 2022 at 21:46
It is good to keep an eye on it, because of the positive margin, but I think you are over-worrying at present - your 21/6/2021 PSA (0.009) could have been 0.0094 and your 7/1/2022 PSA (0.01) could actually have been 0.0095. Generally speaking, if there is a biochemical recurrence due to positive margin, it shows itself within the first two years and your PSA is still 20 times lower than the threshold for BCR.

Also, PSA isn't always completely static - I doubt very much that the 0.006 was a mistake, just a low reading day. Do you always have your blood taken at the same time of day?