I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Results from HT

User
Posted 05 May 2021 at 17:47

I had my second Prostap injection on 14th April following a months course of Bicalutimide. I had a PSA test today in preparation for an oncology appointment next week and am wondering how soon the HT should have an impact on my PSA level?

User
Posted 05 May 2021 at 18:46
I started HT 4 months ago. My initial PSA was 990 and I had a brilliant drop to 14 in just 3 months. I so hope it lasts for me for a few years :-))

I’ve never once been undetectable in my 6 yr journey so I’m praying for this next test in 2 months time

User
Posted 05 May 2021 at 19:45

If hot flushes and heightened anxiety are anything to go by, HT is definitely making its presence felt. Should get my PSA when I meet the Onco next Thursday so  fingers crossed 🤞

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 05 May 2021 at 18:04

Hello Andrew,

Prostap (and Zoladex and Decapeptly) take around 3 weeks to pull testosterone level down to castrate levels. Once that's happened, PSA will usually come down very quickly. So if we ignore the first 3 weeks and assume your Prostap injections are all 3 month ones, you should have had about 9 weeks drop in PSA, and that should be very significant.

Wishing you all the best.

Edited by member 05 May 2021 at 19:26  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 05 May 2021 at 18:20
I think Andrew is only 4 to 5 weeks into HT so PSA may only just be starting to drop and he is unlikely to be at castrate level yet. There is no guide to how quickly the PSA should fall - every man is different
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 05 May 2021 at 18:46
I started HT 4 months ago. My initial PSA was 990 and I had a brilliant drop to 14 in just 3 months. I so hope it lasts for me for a few years :-))

I’ve never once been undetectable in my 6 yr journey so I’m praying for this next test in 2 months time

User
Posted 05 May 2021 at 19:45

If hot flushes and heightened anxiety are anything to go by, HT is definitely making its presence felt. Should get my PSA when I meet the Onco next Thursday so  fingers crossed 🤞

User
Posted 05 May 2021 at 21:19

Hi Andrew,

I have been asking myself the same question.

This is just one bit of anecdotal data, but for what it's worth, I started like you with a month on Bicalutamide, then 3 monthly Prostap. That started in June 2020. Starting PSA was 17.9. To my great ( subsequent) annoyance I didn't get a starting Testosterone number.

At the 3 month point, PSA was down to 4.9, and looking good, so I had the next 3 month injection.

By December, the trend had done into reverse: PSA was up to 10 at my 6-month review, when I should have been planning for my RT. Testosterone was checked at that point and came in at 7.9- so a long way off castrate level. It was concluded that the Prostap was not working effectively, so the decision was taken to switch  to Zoladex. Unfortunately - second source of regret -  I had already had my second Prostap jab, so had to wait for that to wash through. ( As an aside, Onco guy was helpful in arranging an MRI scan at this point to set our minds at rest that there had been no physiological change in the tumour).

Zoladex started in February 21. PSA was up to 13.9 but Testosterone down to 5.9 ( doh!). 

I have Just had my first 3 month review since starting Zoladex: Testosterone is right down to 0.4 ( job done) and PSA down to 6.1( better, but no coconut).  Onco guy is expecting it to move ( down) relatively quickly now - so my next review is in 6 rather than 12 weeks.

Lessons learned:  get PSA AND testosterone tested at the same time; and get blood tests done well before the next jab date in case a change of plan is required....

All the best,

Ron

User
Posted 05 May 2021 at 21:39

Hi Ron,

Thank you for sharing your experience and advice re blood tests. I think I'm a bit too late now for a testosterone test but will ask my Onco about this when I see her next Thursday.