I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Replacement for, or adjunct to, pelvic floor (Kegel) exercises?

User
Posted 07 May 2021 at 16:29

Maybe this can be answered by a younger gym-goer than me. 10 weeks ago I had a radical prostatectomy and trying hard to cope with the incontinence. Are there any gym exercises that can be used in place of the standard Kegel exercises, maybe exercising all the muscles in the pelvic region?

It's just that I find the Kegel exercises (as in the NHS Squeezy App) boring, so if I could replace them with something as equally effective whilst in the gym, I'm sure I would be more diligent in doing them!

Edited by member 08 May 2021 at 18:48  | Reason: Mis-spelling

User
Posted 07 May 2021 at 17:25

You can do them in all sorts of different positions. Standing, sitting down, lying down, while doing sit-ups or crunches. I even tried while riding a bike once. (It's bloody hard 😂 but possible).

_____

Two cannibals named Ectomy and Prost, all alone on a Desert island.

Prost was the strongest, so Prost ate Ectomy.

User
Posted 07 May 2021 at 19:55

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

You can do them in all sorts of different positions. Standing, sitting down, lying down, while doing sit-ups or crunches. I even tried while riding a bike once. (It's bloody hard 😂 but possible).

Thank you, but as I mentioned, I was looking for an alternate exercise regime which may have the same benefits.

User
Posted 07 May 2021 at 20:54

Thank you, but as I mentioned, I was looking for an alternate exercise regime which may have the same benefits.

I read ALL of the question carefully before answering 😛. I'd be (pleasantly) surprised if you find what you are looking for, so offered you some other ideas you might not have come across to alleviate the boredom of your Kegels, which is why you said you didn't like doing them.

_____

Two cannibals named Ectomy and Prost, all alone on a Desert island.

Prost was the strongest, so Prost ate Ectomy.

User
Posted 08 May 2021 at 10:23

I am grateful, Alex, for your input. I guess I was trying to find an alternative to Kegels, not simply another way of doing them.

I have since found this, which appears to be along the right lines - for me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEHZcoJDP60

User
Posted 04 Jan 2022 at 04:49

Hi Bernster,

How has it progressed with using the different exercises as described in the video.? Have you seen a good improvement vs kegels only?

Cheers

John

User
Posted 04 Jan 2022 at 21:07

Not really followed either. Continence has slowly get better on its own, but I know I should be more proactive!

User
Posted 05 Jan 2022 at 10:18

I found the video interesting and like the idea that the pelvic floor muscles are crucial but rely on the support of all the surrounding muscles etc, so keep everything as tuned where possible.