I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

MIR procedure

User
Posted 21 May 2021 at 16:56

I have been referred by my  urologist at my local hospital for MRI scan. Appointment has arrived, for a scan about 20 miles away, which thankfully my daughter can take me as she happens to be staying with us at  the time.  She lives about 300 miles away, and will be going back just after. My question is does anybody know if I can see my urologist at my local hospital which is about  2 miles away, for the results etc. Both hospitals are in the same district.

User
Posted 22 May 2021 at 01:26
You wont get the MRI result straight away. However, you could be asked to undergo a biopsy and possibly a bone scan. Also, some people are just having telephone appointments at this point. Perhaps you could contact your Urologist's secretary an say you would be happy to communicate this way or if not ask if your appointment could be at your nearest hospital if your oncologist also sees patients there.
Barry
User
Posted 22 May 2021 at 08:51
Thank you for that Barry
User
Posted 18 Oct 2021 at 18:59
Have now been confirmed prostate cancer, and have been given the choice of radiotherapy or nothing. Having read all the problems this can
give I am a bit concerned at the age of 81 yrs old. But am leading towards having it done. Opinions would be appreciated.
Graham
User
Posted 18 Oct 2021 at 21:02

Difficult decision. I think your life expectancy is about 89 if you had no cancer and are otherwise healthy. So don't worry about long term side effects. Short term side effects of RT were no problem for me, but I am in my mid 50s not early 80s. 

Do you know your Gleason score? Do you know how much your PSA has increased in the last year? If I were in your position and you were only a Gleason 6 and your PSA had only gone up 10% in a year. I would do nothing and never have another PSA test again in my life. If you were Gleason 8 and your PSA had gone up 50% in a year I would assume in three years I would be in a bad state unless I took action now and I would have RT now.

Of course I am not you, and if I were actually in your position rather than hypothetically in your position I may have different opinions. 

Dave

User
Posted 18 Oct 2021 at 21:30
thanks for that Dave , I dont know my gleason score, but PSA is 29.
Graham
User
Posted 18 Oct 2021 at 21:31
It would be helpful to know your numbers Gra1 - as Dave says, if you have a small tumour at a low Gleason grade, that is very different to having an aggressive cancer. The fact that the doctor has suggested you are suitable for active surveillance indicates that it is not an aggressive cancer but it would be sensible for us to be sure.

My dad had a recurrence at the age of 80, having originally had treatment when he was 60. But his PSA is increasing only slowly and the urologist predicts that it will take about 25 years to kill him so Dad is quite happy just to be monitored. My father-in-law was diagnosed at 79 and was offered radiotherapy or surgery - he declined both treatments because he was worried about his sex life (much younger wife) but, sadly, he wasn't monitored correctly and died 4 years later.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 18 Oct 2021 at 21:33
PS Graham, you posted in June that the urology department were saying that you didn't need a biopsy, just further scans. Did you ever actually get a biopsy? If not, that would explain why you don't have a Gleason score.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 18 Oct 2021 at 21:37
Thanks for that LynEyre Doctor said it was not aggressive , but I am going to have a long think about it.
User
Posted 18 Oct 2021 at 21:39

Yes I had a biopsy, and it had shown it was in the prostate only. 

User
Posted 18 Oct 2021 at 21:45
Mostly, men who are offered RT also Hormone Therapy (HT) or if they don't want or are unsuitable for RT they just are often ordered HT, at least initially. Occasionally, men just have RT, which means it may be less effective but you don't suffer the side effects. I suggest you question whether or not you are being offered HT. RT is painless, just like a prolonged x ray with the same routine follow on each session (called a fraction). The number of fractions you have can vary but will be fewer if a higher dose is given. You need to establish the number of fractions you will be given. RT will be preceded by an appointment where you have miniscule tattoos which aid the Radiographer to align you for RT and possibly more CT scans before treatment to establish how your Prostate moves.

As to whether you should have treatment with potential side effects or just leave the disease to progress hoping something else will take you first, (as death from PCa can be rotten), is something only you can decide. You may be influenced by your general health and whether your father lived long beyond your age. At 85 I am awaiting further Focal Treatment, having refused HT thus far. My Mother and Father lived to 101 and 98 respectively and I hope to live for some years yet, as I am a full time carer for my younger wife.
Barry
User
Posted 18 Oct 2021 at 22:18
thanks for that Barry, my father died at the age of 91 , of a heart problem. I am in good health. Its decision time in the next few weeks, I find this a very helpful site.
Graham
User
Posted 19 Oct 2021 at 08:17
I had HT/RT and found it a relatively trouble-free process. Happy to answer any questions you may have about it.

Best wishes,

Chris
User
Posted 19 Oct 2021 at 19:49

Thanks for your quick reply Chris. I am surprised they didnt give me any options, it was just RT. I am waiting for an appointment to finalise everything. I am going to ask what my gleeson score is and if it is relevant. The annoying thing is  I am in good health with no problems, again
thanks for your info.
Graham

Edited by member 19 Oct 2021 at 20:00  | Reason: missed a word

User
Posted 19 Oct 2021 at 19:57

Thanks for that, I have had a biopsy, 

User
Posted 19 Oct 2021 at 22:54

thank you for the info 

User
Posted 20 Oct 2021 at 12:09
Hi to all , have just found my Gleason score is 7, so I think will go for RT, thanks to all for your comments,
Graham
User
Posted 28 Nov 2021 at 21:23

I have a planning procedure for Jan 17th 2022 for radio therapy, then RT at end of Jan. Very anxious about it all, but I have to go for it. Have to admit the NHS have been excellent this last few months .

User
Posted 29 Nov 2021 at 12:25

The radiotherapy staff are great at what they do. I’m sure you are in good hands. Best wishes for getting treatment over and done with.

Ido4

User
Posted 29 Nov 2021 at 12:42

Thanks for your reply .