Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

RT after RP Adjutant v salvage RT

User
Posted 10 Aug 2021 at 11:28

Hi.

I had my RP nearly six weeks ago. I've had a few set backs - infections, treated for Sepis, hospitalisation, internal leak and catheter still in.

My Gleason score was 4+3. There was no opportunity for nerve sparing surgery and lymph nodes were also taken out.

I have a PSA blood test on Friday 13th and am meeting with the consultant on Monday 16th.

Any comments and lived experiences very welcome.

Also views on Adjutant v salvage RT? My take on this is that if further cancer is likely then the earlier the RT is given the better the outcome.

Regards

Mike

User
Posted 10 Aug 2021 at 23:28
Adjuvant can prevent continence recovery and studies have not shown a benefit for ajuvant over salvage RT
User
Posted 11 Aug 2021 at 01:03
John's recurrence started to become evident fairly soon after the RP but he waited 28 months before agreeing to salvage RT rather than rush on with earlier action. Partly this was about denial but also a desire to recover as much as possible from the side effects of the RP before introducing any additional side effects/ problems.

The salvage RT was 10 years ago and appears to have done the job intended!
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 11 Aug 2021 at 02:19
I don't think there is a definitive answer to this. Much depends on how the Oncologist sees it with an individual. It is the case that sometimes it is felt an individual will benefit from a course of HT following RP before administering RT. In this situation I would be guided by my Oncologist.
Barry
User
Posted 11 Aug 2021 at 10:45
Mike, at this point do you have a reason to suspect the op wasn't successful?
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 11 Aug 2021 at 12:03

Hi Mike

Very very sorry to read about your post op problems and pray these resolve

Like you Im 6 weeks post op (29th June) and will have PSA test on 24th August in France where Im staying to recover

I have the same question as Lyn. Do you have any reason to be believe the op was not successful. ? Is it because of all the post op problems you had? Your post made me think perhaps I should be worrying more than I already am about my result in 2 weeks. 

Fingers crossed for both our results and wishing you all the best

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 10 Aug 2021 at 23:28
Adjuvant can prevent continence recovery and studies have not shown a benefit for ajuvant over salvage RT
User
Posted 11 Aug 2021 at 01:03
John's recurrence started to become evident fairly soon after the RP but he waited 28 months before agreeing to salvage RT rather than rush on with earlier action. Partly this was about denial but also a desire to recover as much as possible from the side effects of the RP before introducing any additional side effects/ problems.

The salvage RT was 10 years ago and appears to have done the job intended!
User
Posted 11 Aug 2021 at 02:19
I don't think there is a definitive answer to this. Much depends on how the Oncologist sees it with an individual. It is the case that sometimes it is felt an individual will benefit from a course of HT following RP before administering RT. In this situation I would be guided by my Oncologist.
Barry
User
Posted 11 Aug 2021 at 10:32

Many thanks Lyn.

That at least is a positive account of the post operative situation.

At present am trying hard not to be negative and to be a bit upbeat for family and friends (and myself).

As a Monty Python fan l do try hard to: "Always look on the bright side of life".

Best regards

MikeG

User
Posted 11 Aug 2021 at 10:45
Mike, at this point do you have a reason to suspect the op wasn't successful?
User
Posted 11 Aug 2021 at 12:03

Hi Mike

Very very sorry to read about your post op problems and pray these resolve

Like you Im 6 weeks post op (29th June) and will have PSA test on 24th August in France where Im staying to recover

I have the same question as Lyn. Do you have any reason to be believe the op was not successful. ? Is it because of all the post op problems you had? Your post made me think perhaps I should be worrying more than I already am about my result in 2 weeks. 

Fingers crossed for both our results and wishing you all the best

User
Posted 11 Aug 2021 at 14:53

Probably not Lyn! Just the last 6 weeks have not been as expected or the experience that most people have after RP!!

Rising PSAs after RP and reoccurring PCa seems a common thing amongst men who post or enter into discussions on line.

I will undoubtedly know more on Monday with the consultant discussing PSA and histology etc 

Take care

User
Posted 11 Aug 2021 at 14:59

Jeremy, please do not worry more on account of my post.

The Prostate Cancer nurses have said that my experience is not common but has undoubtedly fuelled my levels of anxiety about my progress.

I'm sure we will both be fine🙂

Take care

MikeG