I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

My journey start

User
Posted 06 Sep 2021 at 16:07

Just joined today as I now have my treatment plan sorted, I was diagnosed with advanced prostate cancer on the 4th August after an mri on the 2nd.

It was a late phone call with the Urology guy telling me it was bad news and I needed to go in for treatment the next day. This consisted of radiotherapy to my spine, I had an MSCC, followed by my first hormone treatment (Degarelix). The urologist then booked me for bone scan and biopsy the next week, these showed only the one site of my spine affected and the cancer was aggressive.

Had a telephone appointment with the lead on my case and he said he was putting me on Abiraterone also as this worked well with the Degarelix so started them today.

Anyway have read a lot on this site and as my title states my journey starts here.

Keith A

User
Posted 16 Sep 2021 at 16:30

People suggest Sage tablets and/or Evening Primrose Oil. I used both but my sweats were never too bad so I can't so with any certainty that they worked. A few others have tried them, but I don't think anyone has given a definitive answer of yes they work, might be worth popping down a health store and trying them, then you can report back to us on the results. 

Dave

User
Posted 16 Sep 2021 at 17:35
Do just check that your bedding and pyjamas, etc are pure cotton and not cotton polyester.

Also consider acupuncture - until recently, that was available on the NHS for men on HT

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 06 Sep 2021 at 16:13
Sorry that you find yourself here, Keith, but you're certainly in the right place to get reliable information.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 24 Sep 2021 at 17:17

OK been using sage tablets for 5 days and they seem to be working already, not so many sweats now and they are not as bad so I will continue on them and see where it goes.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 06 Sep 2021 at 16:13
Sorry that you find yourself here, Keith, but you're certainly in the right place to get reliable information.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 16 Sep 2021 at 16:19

Latest news, had the first of my check-up telephone appointments with the macmillan nurse.

Checking I have no adverse reactions to Abiraterone, none so thats ok and general chat on how I was coping.

She told me my PSA is down to 3.2 so things are looking ok

I do get hot sweats during the night so can anyone give me tips to help please.

User
Posted 16 Sep 2021 at 16:30

People suggest Sage tablets and/or Evening Primrose Oil. I used both but my sweats were never too bad so I can't so with any certainty that they worked. A few others have tried them, but I don't think anyone has given a definitive answer of yes they work, might be worth popping down a health store and trying them, then you can report back to us on the results. 

Dave

User
Posted 16 Sep 2021 at 17:35
Do just check that your bedding and pyjamas, etc are pure cotton and not cotton polyester.

Also consider acupuncture - until recently, that was available on the NHS for men on HT

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 17 Sep 2021 at 20:51

One thing I forgot when going for a bone scan don't forget to mention any bone breaks you may of had in the past. I never mentioned that I had broken my leg a couple of times in the same place so after the doc and techies panicked over the size of the tumour on my leg they asked if I had previous injuries. I showed them the scars and we all had a good laugh but lesson learned.

User
Posted 24 Sep 2021 at 17:17

OK been using sage tablets for 5 days and they seem to be working already, not so many sweats now and they are not as bad so I will continue on them and see where it goes.