Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Pain in the perineum after 9 weeks

User
Posted 29 Sep 2021 at 01:06

Hello,

I am 51 years old and I had a complete robotic prostatectomy on July 29th. It has been just under 9 weeks. I had no health problems before the operation and was in excellent physical shape. I have had no involuntary urine loss since the operation. My abdomen is almost completely healed. My surgeon told me that the operation went very well and that he felt that the cancer had been completely removed and that the vital nerves had been preserved.

However, I am currently concerned because I have a continuous (not intense but unpleasant) pain between my rectum and penis (where the prostate was I think). The pain increases briefly when I urinate and returns to about 2 or 3 out of 10 a few minutes later. I also get what I call electric shocks in the same place when I walk or make a certain movement with my legs. Fortunately, my nights are good and almost pain free.

I wonder if it's normal to still have pain after 9 weeks. I have read that many people are pain free after 3 or 4 weeks... I worry and sometimes think that there was an injury during the operation that will cause permanent pain. Needless to say, my morale is not at its best.

I will have the results of a urine test next week to see if I have a urinary infection.

Have any of you had pain for so long after your operation? If so, how long before the pain disappears? It is very difficult in Canada to talk to your surgeon after surgery (even though I have to see him again 3 months after surgery with a new PSA test).

Thank you for your help.

P.S. Sorry for my English, my native language is French.

User
Posted 29 Sep 2021 at 08:09
Probably the nerve endings repairing and settling down - these pains can go on for 6 months.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 29 Sep 2021 at 08:28
6 years later I still get some strange feelings where my prostate used to be.

It's still early days for you, raise it with your surgeon next time you see him but I suspect it's just normal recovery after a significant trauma.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 29 Sep 2021 at 08:09
Probably the nerve endings repairing and settling down - these pains can go on for 6 months.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 29 Sep 2021 at 08:28
6 years later I still get some strange feelings where my prostate used to be.

It's still early days for you, raise it with your surgeon next time you see him but I suspect it's just normal recovery after a significant trauma.

User
Posted 02 Jan 2022 at 12:39

I had a prostate removal op 5 months ago and experienced the same problem, it's a lot better now than it was. I was told by the surgeon that did the op that it is nerve damage from the op and will take around 6 months to heal.

User
Posted 10 Feb 2022 at 18:01
I am about 4 weeks post op, my pain is muscular- in my groin and makes it hard to walk. Its faded a little in a week..
User
Posted 10 Feb 2022 at 20:03

Hi Dave, it's very early days for you yet but it does improve and eventually goes.

However, I am 6 months post op and after 4 .1/2 months it almost went completely but I became severely constipated and it came back.

I have an appointment with my surgeon tomorrow to discuss the possibility that it might Pelvic Floor Dysfunction...