Show search

Notification

Error
12>

Kidney failure

User
Posted 30 Sep 2021 at 19:33

Hi 

my husband gary has been diagnosed for nearly 6 years with advanced prostate cancer (48 years old ) 

he had upfront chemo and 12 weekly injection and until June his psa was rising wit no concerns till it doubled fro 10 to 20 so they started him on bicucaluamide  in a month psa has dropped to 18 

he experienced going to the toilet a lot  (6 times a night ) and phone to see the oncologist earlier than his appointment date . They ran  some tests and told him to come in as his kidneys are not working correctly .) he has a kidney injury and acute kidney failure. ) an ultra sound showed after going to the toilet he still has a litre of water in his bladder . 

the urologist came around this morning and told him he would have a TURP operation to shave the prostate as it obstruction on his urethra .

I didn’t know he would be able to have this operation ?? With advance cancer in his lymph nodes .

any words of wisdom would help 

thank you 

Fiona 

User
Posted 26 Jan 2022 at 20:50

I had a TURP, plus advanced PCa diagnosis in Dec 2019. Bone (pelvis and hips), liver mets, plus invasion of bladder. The chemo in early 2020 totally hammered the liver mets. Fingers crossed for you both.

User
Posted 26 Jan 2022 at 21:51

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Have they said about changing on to other HT if bicalutamide isn’t working? Hopefully they will soon to get control of it.

I can imagine it’s so difficult with a 4 year old, but I’m sure he/she is often what keeps you both going too, and what brings joy to most days.

Keep us posted and take care 

No, the bicalutimide is as well as HT injections because the HT wasn't working well enough on its own 

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 01 Oct 2021 at 17:42

Hi fiona

Here is a thread I posted to about catheters, just in case your husband finds himself needing to go down this route.

https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t22995-Escaping-the-Catheter

I don't know that advanced cancer would prevent a turp. I can't think that it would. Maybe someone else will pick up on this post and reply. 

Dave

User
Posted 25 Sep 2022 at 22:50

So sorry to read this update - mets to the skull are a whole new ball game as it is so difficult to predict the side effects. Numbness is at the better end, loss of sight and loss of hearing being at the other end.

Hopefully, the abi will indeed slow it down for a good long while but if you haven't already done so, now is time to ask about things like referral to hospice team and / or pain clinic, applying for PIP, etc.

Edited by member 25 Sep 2022 at 22:50  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 12 Oct 2022 at 14:58

So sorry to read this update. Really hope that they can get Gary sorted and some radiotherapy to help with the spinal cord compressions. Such a difficult time you are having, hope you can manage to keep strong. Thinking if you and sending lots of best wishes x

User
Posted 12 Oct 2022 at 21:56

Fiona,

I don’t know much about it, I’m sure others will be able to provide a bit more information, but I was watching a video seminar on lutetium 177 and wondered if it would be an option for Gary? Not sure how available it is in the UK but maybe worth an ask. I believe the cells have to produce PSMA for it to work and other standard treatments have to have been tried first (which they have with you). Hope he is ok and comfortable tonight x

User
Posted 15 Oct 2022 at 18:20

Sorry to see this Fiona.

I’m sorry I can’t help to answer the question too, hopefully someone will come on to do that soon.

Really hope it is just a case of it getting worse before it gets better 🤞🏼 must be worrying all the same x

User
Posted 15 Oct 2022 at 20:04
I really feel for you. My OH is in a similar place, having just had his second SCC and possible skull mets - but our kids are grown. With both SCCs it has taken time to respond fully to the radiotherapy, but he is out of hospital with regained mobility now. 10 sessions is a lot (my oh had 1 first time then 5 second) so presumably there is a lot to treat. I hope you are getting some support from local palliative care team (if not, ask for it) because they have hooked us up with so much practical support (eg local physio) and it’s so great to know they are there. I will be thinking of you.
User
Posted 16 Oct 2022 at 21:39
Hopefully, the paralysis is a temporary thing as the RT can cause some inflammation to the area. The urinary retention could be linked to the paralysis - if so, bowel problems are also likely. Hoping things look brighter tomorrow.

Have you told the oncologist or oncology nurse that the ward nurse and physio provided conflicting information? I would want some assurance that the physio had read the notes and knew what s/he was talking about :-/
User
Posted 17 Oct 2022 at 21:18
Like franci says, he needs to be tested to see if he is PSMA+ first and I am not sure you have time to arrange those scans as you would have to wait until he is stabilised and out of hospital before you could arrange for him to go to a centre which offers PSMA scanning (unless of course the hospital where he is an inpatient happens to have PSMA scanning capacity). Only once you know that he is PSMA+ is it worth exploring NHS availability and private options but in reality, as Lut 177 is often given once every 3 months, he would have to survive for a year to get the benefit and that, sadly, is looking less likely now. Also need to ask whether the brain cancer affects suitability - it may be that the potential side effects of delivering RT direct to the lining of the brain would just be too great.

More immediate change might be if you can persuade the onco to switch to apalutimide on the basis that the abiraterone failed within 3 months. If the onco says that isn't possible because you are now 14 weeks on, ask about stilboestrol, an old fashioned treatment but sometimes comes up trumps for men who are unsuccessful with abi / enza / apa.
User
Posted 20 Oct 2022 at 16:23

Hi

That's terrible news to hear,I am 6 months into my journey and it makes my head drop when I hear stories like yours,I felt I needed to message and I'm thinking of you both.I know it's easy said but please try to be strong for your other half and child.

Regards Phil 

User
Posted 20 Oct 2022 at 18:22

So sad to read this latest post, have been thinking of you both and had hoped we might hear some better news soon.

Can only imagine what you are going through. Hope you manage to get all the support you can to help care for Gary and your little girl. And hope Gary can remain comfortable and pain free.

Our thoughts, love and best wishes are with you x

User
Posted 05 Dec 2022 at 17:33

So sorry Leahy to read that, your final paragraph was the saddest yet most inspirational thing I've ever seen on here.

Hope you and your little girl manage to stay strong for each other. X

User
Posted 06 Dec 2022 at 00:08
Leahy, devastated for you. I hope that you have good support around you and are able to take some breaks, even if just short ones. You will be no good to anyone if you become exhausted. A common phrase but important - who cares for the carer?

> from me too xxx
User
Posted 06 Dec 2022 at 06:00
So sorry to read this, has put tears in my eyes.

My Dad passed very gently in the end after a similar traumatic time with paralysis etc.

He was squeezing my hand in the way we agreed would show he was comfortable. That was 20 years ago but it reassures me and my mum to this day.
User
Posted 06 Dec 2022 at 15:54
Dear Leahy, So sad, my heart goes out to you. This disease is so cruel. Try to keep your strength up, you’ll need every ounce.

Leila x
User
Posted 06 Dec 2022 at 16:01

So sorry to read this. It’s a cruel disease. 

Ido4

User
Posted 06 Dec 2022 at 19:41
Leahy, so sorry for the difficult time you're all going through. I hope Gary can be as comfortable as possible.
You're daughters words say a lot about your family and bought tears to my eyes. I'm sure you will look after each other at this difficult time.

Cheers
Bill
User
Posted 06 Dec 2022 at 19:47

I posted yesterday but really can’t find it sorry.

Really heartbreaking to read your latest update. Have been thinking of you and wondering how Gary was getting on. 

You obviously have a very brave courageous young lady on your hands. And what beautiful words she had for her daddy.

Glad to hear that Gary is relatively pain free. I also pray this time will be gentle for Gary and for you and your little girl. Our thoughts are with you and we send lots of love and best wishes xx

User
Posted 06 Dec 2022 at 21:37

So heartbreaking to hear this news. My thoughts are with you both.

User
Posted 24 Feb 2023 at 14:25

I haven’t been able to come on this site for a while ,

my brave Gary  lost his fight on the 21st January , he made it  home  for Christmas new year and my birthday on the 6th January .

he returned home on the 22nd December  from the hospice  and mental I got my old Gary back , all the confusion disappeared and for a few weeks we had a great time.  , I’m forever grateful for the hospice applying for a night carer so I could get some sleep but I pretty much looked after him and cared for him and he died in my arms . Our daughter ciara was there too , only 4 I don’t think she completely understood what had happened 

His mental strength throughout was unbelievable and even in those very dark moments of facing death he never broke . The Thursday before the palliative care nurse had. Come to see him and she asked how he was , “ feeling … he said “ I feel like death “ within a couple of hours he feel into a sleep and apart from once when we tried to make him more comfortable did he call my name . 

He said he had a great life and at 55 said he had achieved so much . 

His celebration of life service was last week and he had a great send off , 

so daddy is in heaven eating cotton candy , and drinking coffee , she asked can we go to heaven on his birthday to give him his presents , you got to love a 4 year olds innocent mind .

Much  love to everyone 

fiona 

User
Posted 24 Feb 2023 at 16:11
So so sorry for your loss Fiona. I’ve been thinking of you often over the past couple of months and had hoped to read of some sort of miracle ❤️
You’ve been incredible looking out for and caring for Gary while also looking after your little girl, I’m sure these past months have been so difficult I can’t even imagine. Our thoughts are with you and Ciara, and so pleased to hear you all managed to spend some really lovely times together over Christmas.

Lots of love
Elaine xx
User
Posted 26 Feb 2023 at 16:14

Many of us are members of one club or another that know most of the members. However, this group is more than a club and we though not see each other but are closer and loss of one is felt deeply by others.  

Fiona so sorry to hear of your loss. Please accept my sincere condolences.

Fred

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 01 Oct 2021 at 17:42

Hi fiona

Here is a thread I posted to about catheters, just in case your husband finds himself needing to go down this route.

https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t22995-Escaping-the-Catheter

I don't know that advanced cancer would prevent a turp. I can't think that it would. Maybe someone else will pick up on this post and reply. 

Dave

User
Posted 02 Oct 2021 at 08:44

Thank you Dave for your reply ,

ww made it home last night, I noticed quite a lot of blood in the bag and a cloth when gary was having a shower . He managed to get a good 5 hours sleep so that’s a massive improvement. 

He needs to return on Monday morning to the hospital for blood tests and a scan so we should know a bit more next week . 

User
Posted 02 Oct 2021 at 11:53
Have they done the TURP, Fiona?
User
Posted 02 Oct 2021 at 12:15

No not yet ..

they told him it will be in the next 5 weeks , I thought that was a long time to wait 

fiona

User
Posted 02 Oct 2021 at 19:02

He has also been given 2000ml night bag , single use . And 1 day bag ( 5-6 day )

silly question a single use night bag can be used for how long ? 24 hours   ??

annoyed as hospital only gave him 2 night bags , is there anywhere we can get them pharmacy  ??  

The hospital is quite far away but will travel back there tomorrow 

User
Posted 02 Oct 2021 at 20:00

He has also been given 2000ml night bag , single use . And 1 day bag ( 5-6 day )

silly question a single use night bag can be used for how long ? 24 hours   ??

annoyed as hospital only gave him 2 night bags , is there anywhere we can get them pharmacy  ??  

The hospital is quite far away but will travel back there tomorrow 

In our area in the "home environment" a night bag can be used for 7 days. Single use also has an hospital definition meaning only use on one patient. Some night bags have a tap that means they can be emptied and reused, with some other bags you have to break the tap off or cut the corner of the bag off. What night bag have you got.

I have had a catheter constantly for the last four years. Some areas and district nurses say a new night bag each night , our area will only issue one night bag for 7 days. 

A leg bag is good for 5-7 days. Again there are two schools of thought on nights / leg bags. I attach my night bag to the leg bag at night, in the morning I detach the night bag rinse the outlet and inlet and leave it for the next use. 

Others prefer to remove the leg bag and replace it with the night bag. The issue I have with that is NHS advice says once an item is removed it should be replaced with new. The exception being the night bag. Over a week constantly disconnecting the catheter twice a day is probably a small risk of damage. Disconnecting and reconnecting twice a day for 8-10 weeks increases the risk of damage and accidentally pulling on the urethera.

You could get in touch with the district nurses, but they don't always carry spares.

Added , I attach the night bag tube to a thigh strap around my ankle, it helps reduce  accidentally pulling on the joint. Make sure joints are tight, nothing worse than waking up in your own urine.

Thanks Chris

Edited by member 02 Oct 2021 at 20:19  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 03 Oct 2021 at 00:44

Rather than go to the hospital for supplies you may find there is a continence service run by district nurses, who can supply bags etc. That is the case in my area and it is closer than the hospital. 

Dave

User
Posted 04 Oct 2021 at 13:59

Thank you for your replies . 

Gary is booked in for a CT scan tonight and a bone scan in Thursday .

some test results came back today and his C Reactive protein is 18.2mg/l on the 1st October and had been 3.8mg/l the day before . I’m trying not to goggle this as it really scares me .

any advice on why the jump .?

he managed the tube for the blood tests this morning so he’s in a lot better shape than he was a few days ago with the catheter .

User
Posted 25 Jan 2022 at 18:06

Hi all

we have had a rough few months, Gary had his TUrP operation as planned and finally managed to have a full nights sleep without waking for the toilet .

unfortunately today he has been told his cancer has spread to his spine L5 (after results of his bone scan ) and has found spots on his liver .

His oncologist has recommended chemo again 😩 

his PSA has been doubling monthly and is now 97 .

User
Posted 25 Jan 2022 at 19:26

Really sorry to read this Fiona. 

Hope that he can start the chemo soon and get his PSA under control and lowered. Is he on any HT?

The one thing I read quite a lot about this disease is that there seems so often something that can be done and many treatments to explore….and with the continuing research things change constantly.

I can understand it must have come as a real blow after everything he’s already been through, but I hope you’re both managing to stay positive.

Sending very best wishes x

User
Posted 26 Jan 2022 at 07:12

Hi ,

Yes he has been on HT since diagnosis, 

the 3 month injection and then in June 21 , bicaluamide which hasn’t really worked , ( well for a few months) 

trying to keep our hopes up , it’s not easy with a four year old ! Our little miracle in all this ‘

User
Posted 26 Jan 2022 at 10:14

Have they said about changing on to other HT if bicalutamide isn’t working? Hopefully they will soon to get control of it.

I can imagine it’s so difficult with a 4 year old, but I’m sure he/she is often what keeps you both going too, and what brings joy to most days.

User
Posted 26 Jan 2022 at 20:50

I had a TURP, plus advanced PCa diagnosis in Dec 2019. Bone (pelvis and hips), liver mets, plus invasion of bladder. The chemo in early 2020 totally hammered the liver mets. Fingers crossed for you both.

User
Posted 26 Jan 2022 at 20:53

Thank you for your reply .

Gary had early chemo 6 years ago so it will be his second time around … 

I really hope it gives us some more time 

User
Posted 26 Jan 2022 at 21:51

No, the bicalutimide is as well as HT injections because the HT wasn't working well enough on its own 

User
Posted 26 Jan 2022 at 21:56

I’m worried how gary will cope with this chemo and how much more time it will gives us .

we had booked a trip to New York which will now be postponed until after chemo . 

User
Posted 26 Jan 2022 at 22:01
He tolerated it quite well last time J think? Generally, men on here have done well on docetaxel second time around if they did well first time. And having had such a good response, hopefully the cancer will be knocked back again for a few years.
User
Posted 26 Jan 2022 at 22:06

, it seems so long ago now but he coped very well , the last few cycles I remember he got a few mouth sores but was never sick once .

Gary has only ever been sick twice in the time we’d  been together and that was from drinking too much red wine and cheese …. 🤢

I do hope so 

thank you Lyn 

User
Posted 27 Jan 2022 at 13:45
The cheese must have been off 🤷‍♀️
User
Posted 15 May 2022 at 17:23

Just a quick update on Gary ,

he had cycle 5 of docextaxal last week , his PSA has gone down to 88 , he had CT scan and MRI scan after cycle 3 . Liver met have minor improvement and bone show changes, more enhanced on MRI could be progression or reaction to treatment .  Consultant said to continue as PSA is lowering .  
I thought it would have been lower after 5 cycles . ??

consultant has now said 10 cycles could be on the cards if body can withstand the chemo ..

Has anyone been in this situation as I thinking is there another treatment available after chemo . 

Feeling a little bit lost on this long journey 

User
Posted 17 May 2022 at 00:55
PSA is not always a reliable indicator for whether chemo is working - sometimes the PSA even goes up! The best indicator is how he is feeling, whether symptoms reduce and what the scans show afterwards (if scans are done)
User
Posted 17 May 2022 at 08:12
I can't see any mention of Enzo or ABI in your profile? Have you tried those?
User
Posted 30 Jun 2022 at 10:00

I thought I’d give a quick update on Gary , 

he completed 6 cycles of chemo , apart from feeling tired and hair lose , it went well . He had scans done after his 3rd cycle and results came back mixed but PSA was dropping and they couldn’t be sure if bones were healing as it showed changes in the bones . 

his PSA didn’t go under 85 and on his 6th cycle it had gone up to 120 . Not quite sure what to make of the jump but he had a full body bone scan last Friday so fingers crossed .

oncologist did mention further chemo 7th cycle but I’m guessing they are waiting on scan results to see if chemo is working . 

it  feels incredibly hard to stay positive , with such high PSA results and gary since dropping the doses of steroids saying his hip and leg are hurting . Ibuprofen are keeping the pain at bay . 

Hopefully there will be another option for gary . 

any advice is always grateful 

User
Posted 01 Jul 2022 at 23:48

Sorry to read this with the rise in PSA. I can understand why it’s difficult to stay positive and I know I would feel the same. My husband always has the odd ache and pain and I worry that it’s PCa related, but in truth it probably isn’t. 

I’m sorry I’m not in a position to offer any advice but hopefully someone else will be able to. 

Wishing you all the very best x

User
Posted 02 Jul 2022 at 12:19
Fiona, I think at the next appointment you need to ask whether it is time to add enzalutimide, apalutimide or abiraterone snd if they are not considering any of those, an explanation of why not.
I would be reluctant for my man to just have more chemo at this stage. He is hormone refractory (also referred to as castrate resistant) so abi / enza / apa is the obvious next step to try to stop the cancer in its tracks. If there is a medical reason why they think Gary couldn't tolerate this, they really need to explain that to you
User
Posted 02 Jul 2022 at 15:29

Thank you Lyn,

Garys appointment with oncologist is on the 12th July so will asked , as I feel a chemo isn’t the best option now too . He has liver mets so unless they are reasons why he can’t take it .

will keep you posted on what happened and thank again for your advice 

User
Posted 13 Jul 2022 at 09:38

Gary had his oncologist appointment yesterday , his PSA is rising so chemotherapy has stopped . He has had quite bad pain in his left leg and generally feeling pretty rotten since coming off steroids .

he has been give a week worth of steroids and them next Tuesday will start Abiraterone ( just like you mentioned Lyn ) 

fingers crossed this will stop the cancer in its tracks for a while .. 

Schools out for summer so my next call is to book a lovely all inclusive hotel . 

User
Posted 13 Jul 2022 at 12:29
Have a great holiday!
User
Posted 13 Jul 2022 at 12:43

Thank you we all intend too . I wish cancer never crossed our path but it has truly make us live our lives to the full . 

User
Posted 25 Sep 2022 at 21:21

I thought I would give an Update on Gary ,

we managed a lovely holiday and he celebrated his 55th birthday , 

He started Abi his PSA had  rose to 393 ( from 191) three weeks earlier. Five weeks in his PSA was 425 . Oncologist said that the rate of rise has slowed down so that’s good , is it working ?

he has become very tired and had trouble sleeping at night  so prescribed sleeping tablets . His sleeping is better now so stopped them after a week  Generally he has one good day and 4 bad days . 

his NE bone scan showed widespread bone mets throughout his axial skeleton and skull vault . He has a numb chin and lip the last few days so not sure if that is the effects of the bone infusion or something else.

I feel like he is Losing this battle . 

User
Posted 25 Sep 2022 at 22:50

So sorry to read this update - mets to the skull are a whole new ball game as it is so difficult to predict the side effects. Numbness is at the better end, loss of sight and loss of hearing being at the other end.

Hopefully, the abi will indeed slow it down for a good long while but if you haven't already done so, now is time to ask about things like referral to hospice team and / or pain clinic, applying for PIP, etc.

Edited by member 25 Sep 2022 at 22:50  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 26 Sep 2022 at 08:18
Sorry to hear this news, hope they can sort something out for you guys..
User
Posted 26 Sep 2022 at 13:33

Thank you , 

gary doesn’t know he has skull mets , the oncologist told him there were advancements of bone disease on his latest scan ….. I only read the whole body scan report to find out . Knowing Gary I don’t think I should tell him and have kept it from him for over a month ., but equally he is having thoughts  “ of this is the end “ and how long can I go on like this …. I think if he knows this he will fall into a depression . 

on a good day he can walk around 3 miles , the school run , there and back and go out and about , the bad days he stays in and watches TV . ( which I think would depress anyone ) 

we have lead a good life since diagnosis and Gary has always had the opinion of treating himself and ordering the most expensive thing on the menu , there will always be regrets of things you didn’t do , that’s life and trying to be happy with that it’s hard . 

User
Posted 12 Oct 2022 at 12:41

Just a little update on gary , he has been complaining of a sore back for a few weeks on Saturday he could hardly work ,phoned oncologist nurse who said symptoms didn’t seem like cord compression but in my heart / head knew something g wasn’t right .gary had oncologist appointment and while there  he had an MRI scan yesterday and by the time we got home the hospital had rang to say he needed to go to AandE immediately, I drove him across London as scan showed two spinal cord compressions. He’s now on a massive dose of steroids and awaiting I hope radiotherapy. 

My poor gary seems to always be in that 1or 5 or 10 per cent of the worse things happening to him . I knew these days would come but I want him to be here forever 

User
Posted 12 Oct 2022 at 14:58

So sorry to read this update. Really hope that they can get Gary sorted and some radiotherapy to help with the spinal cord compressions. Such a difficult time you are having, hope you can manage to keep strong. Thinking if you and sending lots of best wishes x

User
Posted 12 Oct 2022 at 15:30

Thank you , 

im trying my best for my four year old daughter , who doesn’t really know what is going on and lucky my brother has been able to take her for a couple of nights . I arrived at the hospital and he is going to have a CT scan . 

User
Posted 12 Oct 2022 at 16:04

You’re obviously doing a great job keeping everything going. Glad you have some family support aswell. Keep us updated with how he gets on….you will definitely be in our thoughts x

User
Posted 12 Oct 2022 at 21:56

Fiona,

I don’t know much about it, I’m sure others will be able to provide a bit more information, but I was watching a video seminar on lutetium 177 and wondered if it would be an option for Gary? Not sure how available it is in the UK but maybe worth an ask. I believe the cells have to produce PSMA for it to work and other standard treatments have to have been tried first (which they have with you). Hope he is ok and comfortable tonight x

User
Posted 12 Oct 2022 at 22:32
Sorry to see this Leahy; the first thing will be to stabilise the spinal cord and prevent permanent damage so fingers crossed that the RT is possible and effective. I am not sure whether they are thinking that the SCC is a new development or whether it just wasn't making its presence known at the scans in the Summer but if the onco is thinking that the abiraterone has failed already, it might be worth asking whether he can change to enzalutimide or apalutimide. Generally, you can't have the others once one has failed but there is an exception for the first 3 months and G is just inside that?
User
Posted 12 Oct 2022 at 22:39

He had his tattoo marked tonight so radiotherapy tomorrow . . Not sure how long the spinal cord compression has been there as since Saturday he’s only had a sciatic style pain down one leg .toilet ok so hopefully fingers and toes crossed he is ok .

his psa was 398 and 5 weeks on Abi it went up to 430 and now 9 weeks 530 oncologist said it’s not going up as fast as before but definitely not coming down so I’m guessing that is failing ??? He started end of July so within 3 months .

User
Posted 12 Oct 2022 at 22:40

Thank you for your message I will ask oncologist , we are based in London 

User
Posted 13 Oct 2022 at 12:55

He had his tattoo marked tonight so radiotherapy tomorrow . . Not sure how long the spinal cord compression has been there as since Saturday he’s only had a sciatic style pain down one leg .toilet ok so hopefully fingers and toes crossed he is ok 

Best of luck for today, hope the RT goes well for Gary x

User
Posted 13 Oct 2022 at 22:12
Gary had his radiotherapy today , it had to be remarked as they had it wrong yesterday …..
I spoke to the doctor on the ward and she told me they are giving radiotherapy to the whole spine . 10 sessions ( not Saturday and Sunday )
He also had a physio come around before the radiotherapy and made him get out of bed and walk around after the nurse telling him off for sitting up ! I think arse and elbow comes to mind …. Gary has turned into a grumpy old man so I didn’t say anything .

He’s a little tired and said he’s sweating ( he sweats quite a lot anyway ) and the heating is on in the hospital .

I rang the oncology nurse and left a message , as scans in the summer clearly said no spinal compressions so are since starting Abi which would suggest it’s failing

User
Posted 15 Oct 2022 at 16:54
I just wanted to update as feel totally useless and helpless.

Gary called me today and said he had no feeling in his legs and when asked to move them he couldn’t , his bum is numb too .

He had two sessions of radiotherapy to whole spine (Thursday and Friday ) and it looks like it’s made it worse ? Am I thinking radiotherphy is not working or is it to early to tell that this happened before it gets better .

User
Posted 15 Oct 2022 at 18:20

Sorry to see this Fiona.

I’m sorry I can’t help to answer the question too, hopefully someone will come on to do that soon.

Really hope it is just a case of it getting worse before it gets better 🤞🏼 must be worrying all the same x

User
Posted 15 Oct 2022 at 20:04
I really feel for you. My OH is in a similar place, having just had his second SCC and possible skull mets - but our kids are grown. With both SCCs it has taken time to respond fully to the radiotherapy, but he is out of hospital with regained mobility now. 10 sessions is a lot (my oh had 1 first time then 5 second) so presumably there is a lot to treat. I hope you are getting some support from local palliative care team (if not, ask for it) because they have hooked us up with so much practical support (eg local physio) and it’s so great to know they are there. I will be thinking of you.
User
Posted 15 Oct 2022 at 20:15
Forgot to add that you are doing an amazing job for Gary - being there, reading all the painful scan reports (my OH won’t read his!) and coping with everything at home
User
Posted 16 Oct 2022 at 09:44

Thank you , I’m trying to keep it together for my 4 year old ,who doesn’t really understand and don’t really have any extended family apart from my brother who went on holiday yesterday for a week . I have some very good friends 

I spoke to gary last night and he has urine retention so have fitted a Catheter, 

Gary has skull mets , they showed on a scan in June , I didn’t tell him I knew as I wanted to carry on as normal . They have repeated a CT head scan on Thursday so I’m sure we will find results in the next few days . 

I will try and seek some help , I left my jacket on the tube on Thursday , didn’t realise until I got to the hospital , stupid tired and stressed . 

User
Posted 16 Oct 2022 at 20:54
Completely understandable. We have a scan on Thurs too - good luck!