Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

post RARP pain in shoulder

User
Posted 18 Oct 2021 at 09:12

Good morning all,

I am 6 days post RARP and still experiencing quite severe pains in my right shoulder, which I assume is caused by the CO2. I know this is supposed to be helped by walking about more but the pain actually prevents me from doing so. Any tips to get rid of it?

Thanks

User
Posted 18 Oct 2021 at 11:45
Are you taking pain killers? May need to take regular pain medication so you can cope with the exercise.

Regardless call the ward or your GP for advice..

User
Posted 18 Oct 2021 at 13:10

Hi francij1,

Yes been taking paracetamol. Did speak to the ward today and they said it could take a while for the gas to be absorbed, so it looks like I just have to wait.

User
Posted 18 Oct 2021 at 13:25

Have you opened your bowels yet? I was told that once you do, the pain will quickly go (and it did).

_____

Two cannibals named Ectomy and Prost, all alone on a Desert island.

Prost was the strongest, so Prost ate Ectomy.

User
Posted 18 Oct 2021 at 14:54

Hi Alex_cycles,

yes I have…..what an event that was! The pain is certainly better than before but still quite severe at times, usually only when standing. Hopefully within the next few days it will ease off. 

User
Posted 18 Oct 2021 at 16:10

Good. That's a good start. The other suggestions I remember were...

* peppermint water (to aid bowel motility - I was given senna and lactulose on discharge from hospital)

* avoid fizzy drinks (as ingesting anything with CO2 in will make it harder for CO2 to diffuse out of the body as there will be generally more of it around)

You may well be doing all that already and it may be just a case of it's taking longer for you than it did for me. But anything you can do to keep your bowels moving well should help.

_____

Two cannibals named Ectomy and Prost, all alone on a Desert island.

Prost was the strongest, so Prost ate Ectomy.

User
Posted 18 Oct 2021 at 18:55

Try a heat pad and take paracetamol and ibuprofen if not contraindicated.

User
Posted 19 Oct 2021 at 10:29

Thanks Lexi26, the heat pad does give some immediate relief. I have been trying to avoid too many pain killers but I guess I will just have to persevere with them until the pain goes.