I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Robotic Prostate Surgery Side effects

User
Posted 28 Oct 2021 at 04:32

I am a 49 year old male who was recently diagnosed with Prostate Cancer. I chose to have surgery as a form of treatment. My Gleason score was high and the cancer was very aggressive cancer. Main reason why I chose surgery. My surgeon said they got all the cancer and it didn’t spread to any other organs. 
Now I’m just trying to recover physically and mentally. The mental aspect is extremely hard. 

I am in my fourth week of recovery, but still having discomfort when urinating, as if the catheter is still in, still have some pain in my stomach area more muscular soreness and my rectum area has been sore still from where my prostate use to be. It’s hard to sit down for long periods.  Is this a normal healing process? 

User
Posted 29 Oct 2021 at 07:42
If in doubt get it checked out! Speak to your surgeon or GP.

4 weeks is early days but you might have picked up an infection so it needs checking out if you are concerned.

User
Posted 29 Oct 2021 at 08:16

Juarnal,

The  symptoms you're having could well be part of the healing process, you have been punctured, pulled and chopped about quite a bit. It could also be a urinary infection, which are quite common.

Best speak to your GP or your surgeon e.g. at your post operation follow-up, which normally follows a month or so after the op.

Best

Flexi

User
Posted 29 Oct 2021 at 16:58

Hi,

The stomach can be sore as there is a big wound in the middle that goes right in through the muscle.  If you lift heavy items or are too active you might strain it and it does let you know.

I've never heard of a rectum being sore and don't know why although perhaps you're straining or not drinking enought too keep things soft.  The wound on your bladder needs most careful treatment and straining on the toilet is not to be recommended, maybe you aren't anyway.

The urine problem could be an inflamation although could it be related to something you're drinking or doing.  It could be something you could ask a chemist.   Perhaps drink more water.

Of course you could ask the surgeon or ring Macmillan, especially if you have a named nurse.  You could also ring a Prostate Cancer UK nurse.  That's what they're there for.   The surgeon might put one of his doctors on to call you.

Feel free to bounce your thoughts around here.  People reveal things they wouldn't normally.  I know I do as I haven't told anyone I know which I sometimes weaken on but haven't.

All the best
Peter

User
Posted 30 Oct 2021 at 13:07
Hi,

I had similar experience after my operation, I suggest buying a rubber ring from Boots Chemist to sit it gives relief on your rectum it worked for me.

Trevor