Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error
<123>

'My 33 Days with Cancer'- radiotherapy following removal of prostate in 2017

User
Posted 12 Nov 2021 at 12:58

Its ok dave I'm only two yards from the toilet and besides I wouldn't need a bottle with such a wide neck 😱

Pete

User
Posted 12 Nov 2021 at 12:59

My 33 Days with Cancer

Day 9

Ok day 9 and I can honestly say its feeling like Groundhog Day and becoming very monotonous. Problem is now that I am on this train there is no getting off although I would dearly love to.

I have had a bad, and seriously emotional morning this morning. Waiting in ‘the line’ I started talking to a young woman sat by herself looking at her phone. “Waiting for someone to come out” I asked. No, she said, “I’m in next” What!! I really didn’t expect that coming from such a beautiful, young woman when the majority of people I come across ‘in the line’ are elderly. Curiosity got the better of me, why? “I have cervical cancer” she replied. She is 34 and her name is Jenny.

Her mother joined us with her coffee. Now Jenny like nearly everyone else I meet around here is more than willing to discuss why they are having treatment. She has had her cervix removed but the cancer has spread into other parts of her young body. She is a lovely outgoing person and I instantly liked her she tells me that she has a 4-year-old child at home oh and not forgetting her new recently born twins. Jenny has 2 weeks left of an extensive course of treatment. The main problem for her is the fatigue. She is finding that basically all she can do is sit on the settee all day she has it that bad. As Jenny shares her story you can tell looking into her eyes that she is frightened, frightened of what the future might hold.

This affected me if I am honest as I cannot imagine what she must be going through mentally as well as physically at such a young age with such young children. I admit to ‘having a moment’ when I got back to the car.

A clear message here to all women putting off having a test, thinking you will be ok because it always happens to someone else doesn’t it?..... Go get tested!

I think for anyone contracting Cancer the problem is (generally speaking) there is no quick fix you can be living with it for months maybe years before you know whether the treatment you have undergone has been successful. As I mentioned previously, I won’t know until 11th January so it’s vital that you keep your head right otherwise, I can imagine the whole process could become a nightmare for you especially if you let your mind run wild in imagining what might happen. Personally, I have trained myself not to think about it as there is no point worrying about what ‘may or may not happen’ I can imagine it would only serve to drive you mad although I admit it’s not easy, I have had my moments.

However, it is ‘pretty fkn difficult’ not to think about it when you’re having to get up to go to the toilet literally 6 times in a night every night over the last three nights for a pee. Anyone with Prostate cancer will tell you that it really messes with your ‘Willy function’ and over the last three days this has got worse, much worse!

“Your drinking enough aren’t ya” asked nurse Rachet. They advise you to drink loads but at first, they didn’t explain why, it’s to help stop infection when your immune system is struggling to keep up with the damage done by the Radiotherapy and they don’t want stale urine sitting in your bladder, so you need to constantly flush it out. So, you drink a lot and then pee even more…a vicious circle. Needless to say, I can never make it home now without a stop at one of my pee stops, and guess what? more bad news, my mate Shaun’s gone missing. However suppose I can finish with some good news, at least I am not a sheep!

How am I feeling?

Ok well having to increase to 1.5 / 10 today because of the toilet problems I am having otherwise much the same apart from a dull continuous ache in my lower left groin area.

NB: I have changed the names of all the people I meet in my blogs.

#prostatecancer

User
Posted 16 Nov 2021 at 00:56

Hi Pete,

Thanks very much for this diary. I'll echo the call for more information on your history in your profile though. That would make the whole thing much more useful.

I've had my own preliminary planning scan, prior to a scheduled 20 days of SRT following my robotic op in 2017. I haven't been advised when that is going to start as yet however.

I await further diary entries with much anticipation!

Jim

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein
User
Posted 16 Nov 2021 at 06:30

Sorry, I think my reply went to the wrong place.

Edited by member 16 Nov 2021 at 06:35  | Reason: Wrong place

User
Posted 16 Nov 2021 at 18:00

As I mentioned previously, I won’t know until 11th January so it’s vital that you keep your head right

Just to warn you, they won't be able to tell you whether the treatment has been successful on 11th January. They will have a good idea in about 18 months and a more confident prognosis in about 5 years

Edited by member 16 Nov 2021 at 18:00  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 16 Nov 2021 at 20:44

Get a urine bottle, Pete (Amazon). It'll help enormously with the tiredness if you don't have to get out of bed to pee. You get back to sleep much more quickly. I speak from personal experience!

Cheers,

Chris

Edited by member 16 Nov 2021 at 20:45  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 17 Nov 2021 at 09:14
Following this with great interest as I start my radiotherapy in a couple of weeks time. Really enjoying your posts and hope that it all works out for you
User
Posted 17 Nov 2021 at 12:22

Hi Keith,

Thanks to pestering my oncology nurse I've just discovered that my first dose of SRT is due to be administered in Truro this coming Monday! See the end of my "Leo Robot" thread for further details.

Can I repeat my request to Pete? Please fill out your profile with more detail about your own history up to this point. That way you will attract much more informed commentary on your personal situation.

Which leads me to pose a question to both you and Pete. The powers that be here in Cornwall sprung "hormone therapy" on me at the last moment following a change of consultant. Have you had that discussion, and if so what was the conclusion?

My best wishes to you and Pete for the next stage of your own PCa journeys,

Jim

User
Posted 17 Nov 2021 at 13:37
It's unusual NOT to have HT as an accompaniment to RT, Jim. HT great improves the success rate of RT by blocking the ability of the cancer cells to divide while the RT kills them. It's usual to start HT several months before RT. In my case, six months prior to RT.

Best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 17 Nov 2021 at 19:03
Hi Soulsurfer

I never had a conversation about what treatment to have due to speed and urgency at diagnosis. Had mri, next day urgent phone call to come in following day for radiotherapy to my spine. While there for that I was started on Degarelix straight away. Couple of weeks later after biopsy and bone scan oncologist phoned me to say he was putting me on Abiraterone and Prednisolone alongside the Degarelix. Also said I would have the course of radiotherapy towards year end.

Cheers Keith

User
Posted 17 Nov 2021 at 19:29

Thanks very much for the information Keith.

A quick glimpse at my profile would tell you that my PSA was recently measured at 0.35 ug/L, after being 131.0 on my first ever test and <0.03 post op. If you don't mind me asking, how high was yours to precipitate such urgent measures.

Jim

User
Posted 17 Nov 2021 at 19:32

That may well be true Chris, but my previous consultant didn't seem keen on HT given my stats. See above for a brief overview.

The new one didn't either until very last minute!

Jim

User
Posted 17 Nov 2021 at 19:49

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Thanks very much for the information Keith.

A quick glimpse at my profile would tell you that my PSA was recently measured at 0.35 ug/L, after being 131.0 on my first ever test and <0.03 post op. If you don't mind me asking, how high was yours to precipitate such urgent measures.

Jim

PSA doesn't have a direct correlation with severity; in Keith's case, the first information was that bone metastases in his spine were critical and so palliative RT was needed without delay to prevent spinal cord compression. His PSA might have been anything from 3 to 13000. The medium and long term treatment plan came later. 

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 17 Nov 2021 at 22:43

OK - Thanks Lyn,

I guess that information must have been revealed somewhere other than Keith's profile?

Jim

User
Posted 18 Nov 2021 at 00:51

OK - Thanks Lyn,

I guess that information must have been revealed somewhere other than Keith's profile?

Jim

No, it is in his post to you above.

"Had MRI, next day called in for urgent RT to spine ....."  When someone gets urgent RT to bones before the biopsy has even been done, that is a pretty late diagnosis. 

Edited by member 18 Nov 2021 at 00:54  | Reason: italics

User
Posted 18 Nov 2021 at 09:51

Good morning Lyn,

I am willing and able to reveal that I've had 2 MRIs, as mentioned in my profile, which was the point I was endeavouring to make.

Duly completed profiles save time and obviate the need for idiots like me to ask dumb questions!

Which has the added benefit of not requiring folks in the midst of physically and/or mentally exhausting treatments to answer them.

Jim

User
Posted 19 Nov 2021 at 21:04

hope you are ok peter you have gone quite 

User
Posted 19 Nov 2021 at 22:54

Good morning Lyn,

I am willing and able to reveal that I've had 2 MRIs, as mentioned in my profile, which was the point I was endeavouring to make.

Duly completed profiles save time and obviate the need for idiots like me to ask dumb questions!

Which has the added benefit of not requiring folks in the midst of physically and/or mentally exhausting treatments to answer them.

Jim

🤣

There are no daft questions here, Jim 

User
Posted 19 Nov 2021 at 23:06

hope you are ok peter you have gone quite

forget Peter, I wanted to know what has happened to Shaun the sheep. Stay tuned for the next installment ...

Dave

User
Posted 21 Nov 2021 at 14:34

Hopefully you are ok peter looking forward to the resumption off your story and hope Shaun the sheep is ok too 🤔

User
Posted 21 Nov 2021 at 15:46

He is still updating his blog elsewhere, now on day 22.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 22 Nov 2021 at 11:10

My 33 Days with Cancer

Day 9

Ok day 9 and I can honestly say its feeling like Groundhog Day and becoming very monotonous. Problem is now that I am on this train there is no getting off although I would dearly love to.

I have had a bad, and seriously emotional morning this morning. Waiting in ‘the line’ I started talking to a young woman sat by herself looking at her phone. “Waiting for someone to come out” I asked. No, she said, “I’m in next” What!! I really didn’t expect that coming from such a beautiful, young woman when the majority of people I come across ‘in the line’ are elderly. Curiosity got the better of me, why? “I have cervical cancer” she replied. She is 34 and her name is Jenny.

Her mother joined us with her coffee. Now Jenny like nearly everyone else I meet around here is more than willing to discuss why they are having treatment. She has had her cervix removed but the cancer has spread into other parts of her young body. She is a lovely outgoing person and I instantly liked her she tells me that she has a 4-year-old child at home oh and not forgetting her new recently born twins. Jenny has 2 weeks left of an extensive course of treatment. The main problem for her is the fatigue. She is finding that basically all she can do is sit on the settee all day she has it that bad. As Jenny shares her story you can tell looking into her eyes that she is frightened, frightened of what the future might hold.

This affected me if I am honest as I cannot imagine what she must be going through mentally as well as physically at such a young age with such young children. I admit to ‘having a moment’ when I got back to the car.

A clear message here to all women putting off having a test, thinking you will be ok because it always happens to someone else doesn’t it?..... Go get tested!

I think for anyone contracting Cancer the problem is (generally speaking) there is no quick fix you can be living with it for months maybe years before you know whether the treatment you have undergone has been successful. As I mentioned previously, I won’t know until 11th January so it’s vital that you keep your head right otherwise, I can imagine the whole process could become a nightmare for you especially if you let your mind run wild in imagining what might happen. Personally, I have trained myself not to think about it as there is no point worrying about what ‘may or may not happen’ I can imagine it would only serve to drive you mad although I admit it’s not easy, I have had my moments.

However, it is ‘pretty fkn difficult’ not to think about it when you’re having to get up to go to the toilet literally 6 times in a night every night over the last three nights for a pee. Anyone with Prostate cancer will tell you that it really messes with your ‘Willy function’ and over the last three days this has got worse, much worse!

“Your drinking enough aren’t ya” asked nurse Rachet. They advise you to drink loads but at first, they didn’t explain why, it’s to help stop infection when your immune system is struggling to keep up with the damage done by the Radiotherapy and they don’t want stale urine sitting in your bladder, so you need to constantly flush it out. So, you drink a lot and then pee even more…a vicious circle. Needless to say, I can never make it home now without a stop at one of my pee stops, and guess what? more bad news, my mate Shaun’s gone missing. However suppose I can finish with some good news, at least I am not a sheep!

How am I feeling?

Ok well having to increase to 1.5 / 10 today because of the toilet problems I am having otherwise much the same apart from a dull continuous ache in my lower left groin area.

NB: I have changed the names of all the people I meet in my blogs.

#prostatecancer

My 33 days with cancer

Day 10

I can honestly say that my Willy has never been’ tugged’ so much in its life, which would under normal circumstance be a good thing. It’s in constant use now overlooking the abyss of the toilet. He must be wondering what the hell is going on, on Monday he looked up at me with his sad eye as if to say wtf’s going on here then. I understood the look instantly, we’ve always been close.

As a rule, men don’t really like to talk about their Prostate’s it’s a bit of a taboo subject within the male population but if you ask a man what’s involved in having his prostate checked believe me he knows.

That’ll be a ‘finger up the bum’ then.

Now if your doctor is a ‘little bit chubby’ with ‘BIG FAT FINGERS’ then you dropped unlucky! Because this will naturally become a little bit more of a concern for you especially if like me you are or were a virgin in that area.

Let me take you back to 2016 when all this began. I was visiting my doctor for something totally unrelated when towards the end of the appointment he asked, totally out of the blue “Do you want me to check your Prostate while you are here Peter” I immediately replied “No, I’m ok thank you”

Now I remember thinking for a minute and saying to myself, Pete if you don’t do this now you won’t be coming back for it. “Can you do it right now I asked?” “Yes, get up on the bed”

I have to say at this point that some, not all doctors will give you a choice of standing or lying down but a bit of advice for any ‘first timer’s’ here standing is ok but don’t let him go in from the front as squatting down in front of you when you have your pants down can feel a little awkward especially when he has his face in close proximity to your Willy.

I’ve seen a few different doctors in my time, and I remember one time having been escalated to see a consultant, him asking if ‘HE’ could check my Prostate I reluctantly agreed.

He was from the bend forward over the bed school, I reluctantly complied (having said that I have never heard of any man willingly complying) I closed my eyes, whilst he ‘applied gentle pressure’ from behind. Marilyn my wife was with me on this visit. When he had finished, I pulled my pants back up and sat back down with Marilyn at his desk whilst he washed his hands at the sink. “He didn’t use his finger” she whispered and laughed like a demented idiot.

I am making myself laugh now as I recount this.

“Yes, it appears to be enlarged Peter” he said, not something you want to hear. “ok we need to do a biopsy”. We all know what that means, “we will need to take six samples from your prostate via local anaesthetic”, “Can you do it now” I asked because I am certainly not coming back for that one either. “Yes, we can do it now” That news didn’t make me feel any better. Subsequently I entered a room for the said procedure and believe me I can still see it as clear as day. I was met by two very nice gentlemen, “on the bed” is a common cry you hear when you have problems with your Prostate it seems everyone wants to have a look, “lie on your side away from me and raise your legs to your chest”. I gingerly lifted my gown.

Unfortunately, as you will all have gathered by now, I have rather an inquisitive nature and made the mistake like an idiot of ‘looking around’ to see him holding the longest needle I have ever seen in my life, this was a real wtf moment. “Now I want you to relax Peter” what a stupid thing to say as liquid spurted out the top of the needle…sound’s funny now wasn’t at the time. He applied the local anaesthetic up INSIDE my bum 4/5 times. “Got to make sure it feels numb” I feel fkn numb I thought.

The next stage he inserted ‘something else’ I don’t know what because by this time I’m definitely not taking a look. He proceeds to snip off 6 samples from the prostate, I know because I could hear the distinct ‘CLICK’ every time he snipped off a piece, ‘thank God that’s over’ I thought fully expecting him to tell me to pull my pants back up but to my consternation he carried on…as you can see there have been one or two wtf moments during this process and this was yet another one. Obviously, I questioned this, “the doctor told me 6” I said, now feeling desperate “No sorry 12” he said, ffs I wasn’t prepared for that as the jaws clasped together again to take yet another chunk of flesh. But it was far from over after 9 the anaesthetic had worn off and now, I felt every one and I let him know, “I don’t want to disturb you but that fkn hurts” (I didn’t swear) He told me he could inject more anaesthetic into my prostate if I wanted him to… “carry on I said”

When finished I had to go to reception to arrange my next appointment to get the results. By this time having been first in that morning I walked out to quite a ‘number of men’ still waiting to be seen by the consultant. It’s strange but I noticed all of them were accompanied by their wives. All of them turned to look at me.

I was going to pretend to fall on the floor in agony, but the receptionist said, “I am glad you didn’t do that otherwise they would all be jumping out of the windows.” Just like in the film Porky’s I thought.

Ok I’ll carry on this story later but right now I need to stare into the abyss with my mate again.

How am I feeling today?

Bit of a dull ache again in my lower groin area, seems to be more prevalent straight after treatment has been applied and then tends to fade off as the day wears on.

Still at 1.5

User
Posted 22 Nov 2021 at 11:39

Glad to hear your reports.

I felt that every time I walked in to a hospital, the doctors had a bet with each other, to see what was the most unusual piece of medical equipment they could shove up my arse.

Dave

User
Posted 22 Nov 2021 at 11:41

We could compare notes Dave bet I would win LOL

User
Posted 23 Nov 2021 at 07:45

My 33 days with Cancer

Day 11

Well guys I am officially a third of the way through my treatment a good milestone, only 22 to go.

Ok where were we. Oh yes, I had just finished my appointment with the ‘butcher’ taking chunks out of my arse. The samples were sent off for analysis, we returned the following week for the results, a time when we were just about to fly out for a two-week holiday at the time. “Come in sit down Peter” I had naturally been thinking about it a bit not knowing what the result would be, and here at last was the moment of truth. “It’s all clear Peter go and have a nice holiday” What a relief, I remember those words clearly and went away on holiday happy and relieved. “I’ll see you in six months and we will do another blood test just to make sure”

Six months later…. They’d missed it. My PSA levels had risen.

If you get cancer of the Prostate it occurs generally ‘within’ the prostate gland itself (please remember I am not a medical expert as you read this) this is known as being ‘cancer contained within the prostate,’ this is relatively good news because it means that it hasn’t yet burst through the wall of the prostate which is dangerous because the cancer cells can then leave the prostate via the lymphatic system and these bad cells can travel around to other parts of your body, trust me you don’t want that to happen.

This is the main reason for getting checked out guys to catch it before it bursts through the walls and leaves the prostate, it can happen to you so go get it checked because in the words of my consultant one of the world’s leading authorities on the subject “Peter if you live long enough, you’ll get it”

So, they take 12 random pieces from the wall of your prostate in the hope of hitting the cancerous cells if there are any but bearing in mind, they cannot snip from the back of the prostate only taking samples from areas they can reach, it really is hit and miss whether they land on a bad cancerous cell and snip off a sample. In my case the cancerous cells were still ‘contained within the prostate but we didn’t know this at the time hence the initial conclusion that I was ok.

I remember the ‘butcher’ at the time saying “it’s a good job you came in when you did Peter because I can see that your prostate is very firm”

Following the fact that we had seen a rise in my PSA I was referred for a scan which revealed two cancerous ‘looking’ Lesions contained ‘within my prostate’ GREAT NEWS But although they were cancerous looking were they in fact cancer?

So

“ Just to make sure Peter, I want you to undergo a ‘Transperineal 3D mapping biopsy” Here we go again another wtf moment a ‘Transperineal 3D biopsy this didn’t sound good to me, I replied “I don’t know what it is, but I don’t think I want one”

Now this in my mind led me to where I am today, let me explain. A Transperineal Biopsy is performed via general anaesthetic where you are placed in the same position as a woman would be if she was having a baby with your legs open wide up in the air supported by stirrups. This process is otherwise known as ‘mapping.’

This is a much more detailed biopsy in that they take a sample every 5mm throughout the prostate in simple terms they stick a needle right through your bum and then right through the prostate the same as coring an apple they then pull the needle out and there they have a sample from within the prostate itself not just from the wall of the prostate. This they do many times which when finished leaves a lovely perfectly square ‘map’ of some 50 needle pricks patterned across the underneath of your arse just under the Willy area leaving you seriously black and blue. I do have a photo in case anyone is interested. 

This subsequently confirmed for sure that I had cancer of the prostate.

In my mind I believed that this biopsy allowed some of the bad cancerous cells to escape the prostate as the needles were extracted out through my body a bit like blowing a dandelion into the air. If the cancer was contained within the prostate how else could these bad cells have escaped, cannot be proven but that’s my theory.

I later questioned my consultant about this and the answer I received was “Peter we have no evidence of this” which to my mind is not conclusive and leaves serious doubts in my mind but who knows.

The story continues but for the moment it’ll be another visit to the toilet then.

How am I feeling?

Ok I’m at day 11 a third of the way through, treatment and remember Tony said that side effects normally show up between 7-10 days so far so good, fingers crossed. Feeling good today.

Still at 1.5

Pete

#prostatecancer

User
Posted 23 Nov 2021 at 14:00
Pete, just to be clear - the cancer can be entirely contained within the prostate and still spread to bone or lymphatic system. The risk once cancer escapes from the prostate (in the way that you have imagined above) is that it spreads to other close organs such as the bowel or bladder but the spread to bones & lymph is through the body fluids flowing in and out of the prostate .... blood and lymphatic fluid.

Your query re cancer spreading as a result of the biopsy - it is called needle tracking and there has been significant research all of which was inconclusive. There are no recorded cases of needle tracking from a TRUS biopsy and only a tiny number of suspected (but unproven) cases following template biopsy, all of which are in America where litigation is rather popular. Considering the number of biopsies done each year, the data suggests that needle tracking is not a real thing and microscopic spread had probably already happened before the patient was referred for biopsy.

User
Posted 23 Nov 2021 at 22:22

Lynn is right cancer can spread even if confined to the prostate we take nothing for granted but all hope are treatment path will be curable if possible 🤔

User
Posted 24 Nov 2021 at 06:46

My 33 Days with Cancer

Day 12

Saved a life this morning. A Pheasant ran straight across the road a little distance away in front of my car, now from experience I know that where there is one there is normally another, so I eased off and sure enough here he comes straight out of the bushes like an Exocet missile didn’t look left or right, neck erect, head up, eyes front staring at the prize.  

See how dangerous it is chasing about after women I thought.

He should have concentrated as I do when I have to put an Enema in every morning.

I am happy to report I think I’ve finally cracked it but took me a while. Lying on the bed is definitely the way to go, the key is to RELAX totally because if you tense up even a little bit it’s very difficult to apply. They can work very quickly and as I found out on the way to the hospital this morning they can also work twice. I knew I was in a bit of trouble sat at the lights at ‘Lidl’ I wasn’t looking left or right either as I was begging the lights to change.

Just made it to the hospital toilet to be greeted by a sea of urine all over the toilet seat, what is wrong with people I hate this because I cannot leave without cleaning it up in case someone sees me coming out and thinks it's me. How do these people live at home? No respect for other people or themselves.

I have explained how we must have emptied our bowels ready for the treatment and after 12 enemas since we started plus a couple of practice ones your stomach does start to feel odd, I have been 5 times today, so I hope it settles down soon. Sat on the toilet having to expel as much wind that you can is very difficult especially when people are sat right outside the toilet door. I can hear them so they can sure as hell hear me. I had to let it all out though as no way do I want to be sent off the table for having too much wind in my body as I’ll be there then another 30 / 45 min possibly.

Head up, chin up, eyes front. Not looking left or right “morning” I said in my in a loud clear voice as I quickly emerged from the door and sat and joined them thinking I should take the bull by the horns. They’ll get over it!

Derek was in this morning a very jolly, pleasant rather large man. “Couldn’t have Hormone treatment cos am tu fat,” said Derek. “Makes you put on weight apparently, and I don’t need any more of that do I Ho Ho Ho Ho” ….Now wait, was that a question or a statement I thought?  What do you say to that? I didn’t know if I should agree or not so just let out an “oh” in acknowledgement to show I was listening?

You get a choice whether to take on Hormone treatment or not. I struggled with this decision greatly and to be honest it was amongst my top list of concerns, mainly because when the doctor first discussed it with me my immediate thoughts turned to growing a pair of tits.

“You don’t look too sure about this” the doctor asked. “Won’t grow breast’s, will I?” as I laughed nervously trying to disguise the fact that I was ignorant as to whether I would or not. I lamented my lack of education.

So, they offer you Hormone treatment to run alongside your Radiotherapy, but I didn’t know this at the time. Hormone treatment suppresses the testosterone inside your body which helps cancer grow and clinical trials in America have shown that Hormone treatment if given alongside Radiotherapy offers a 20% more chance of success. We weighed this all up carefully and finally decided as I can only have one go at this, we had better throw the kitchen sink at it.

I have six months of Hormone treatment and I had to have one injection about three weeks before treatment began, and I must have another very soon applied by your GP in my bum. No tablets. Some people are on Hormone treatment for the rest of their lives if the cancer escapes into their bodies as it helps to suppress cancer growth.

I arrived at the GP to find that he was fully expecting me as he had the box already sat in front of him with yet another needle inside, “Where do you want it then” he said, “Want what?” “Which cheek do you want it in?’ “The right one” I said, so he sticks it in the left. Couldn’t write it could you.

Never used to like injections was always fearful of them but since my stroke I’ve had more pricks than a dartboard, so I take them in my stride now.

Oh, didn’t I mention that? I might enlighten you with some of my stroke stories if you like that had some interesting moments.

How am I feeling?

Still good ’touch wood’ hesitate to say that but nothing hurts or can’t handle at present let’s hope it stays that way but still feels like a long way to go. 1.5.

Pete

#prostatecancer

User
Posted 25 Nov 2021 at 17:13

My 33 days with Cancer

Day 13

The point about this blog is not only to raise awareness of Prostate cancer but also to diarise my 33 days of Radiotherapy and how it affects me each day as I progress through it, so that anyone following me can read a first-hand account of what might be expected if they find themselves in my position as unfortunately many do.

So here we go! Thought I was doing well but this weekend has seen a few changes and I must announce that ‘I’ve got piles,’ well not piles (plural) but a pile, old friend of mine not shown his ugly head for some years but decided to pay me a visit after Sunday mornings trip to the loo. Just what I needed. It’s a bleeder ‘literally’ and a painful one to. Rough weekend as over the past 3 or more days the number of times I have had to visit the toilet has significantly increased especially frustrating during the night as I have been going between 5 and 6 times this has meant that I am getting little sleep which in turn is making me extremely tired. The daytime is no better and I am seeing an increase in trips to the toilet all round which is quite debilitating. Sometimes I can go (we are talking about number ones here) and need to go again in a matter of minutes, very waring and I have seriously lost count how many times I visit the toilet each day, need to start a log.

Spoke to a specialist today who is prescribing me even more pills to try and counter this but been worst day so far. Bit of fun trying to get the Enema in this morning I can tell you it took some manoeuvring as he stood guard over the entrance shouting ‘thou shalt not pass.’ Specialist says it’s because the treatment is irritating the bladder and can take up to 12 weeks after treatment for it to settle down although this differs from person to person. Great!

As I think I mentioned before its catch 22 really as they want you to drink lots to counter infection so it’s a vicious circle got to try and figure it out.

Nearly fell out with the Radiologist today my time on the table was 01.42pm as I said before timing is crucial with all this. I was waiting my turn its 01.30pm the doors fly open, he shouts “Peter Mitchell” he’s looking up and down the passage when there’s only two of us sat there and ones a woman so that’ll be a bit of a fkn clue then…. it’s like he’s never seen me before in his life and I’m sat right in front of him. I stood up cup in hand “OH! you haven’t drunk your water yet’ this was a statement not a question and he said it in a condescending, exasperated manner which immediately put my back up. (p----d me off actually) especially as I wasn’t feeling well.

Now people that know me know that my pet hate is people being late absolutely no need for it ever and gross bad manners. “Du ya wanna meet next tut Lions in Market square at 7 tonight, Trace?” if what comes back is “yeah ok Brian” then that’s it isn’t it? you have made an agreement haven’t you? I would be there at 06.55pm and I’ll leave early so I don’t get caught up in any traffic to ensure that I am on time. If anyone used to arrive late into work I would ask “If I offered you an all-expenses paid trip to Barbados in a five star hotel for two weeks but the only downside was it was a 6am flight tomorrow morning from Heathrow would you be late for it?’ do you know what I ‘never’ got an answer ever just a vacant look on their faces, and there’s the thing!!!!

But I digress….I wasn’t late, I was on time, my water planning was impeccable. “Your fkn early mate” nearly came out. “We’ll have to give it another 10 minutes” he pronounced as he swung his shoulders around and walked straight back through the door’s I attempted to explain that I was in fact ready as….

He’d gone!

Now 01.42 is quite specific in my eyes wonder how many people would miss the plane to Barbados if it left 7 minutes fkn early?

Feeling slightly better now as I’ve had a 10-minute nod, and my pile is behaving itself for now, drinking less before bed to see if that helps. Report back tomorrow.

How am I feeling?

I suppose I need to put it up to 2/10 as things have shifted. I can always bring it down if things improve. No real pain apart from the pile which is a ‘pain in the arse’

Pete

#prostatecancer

User
Posted 25 Nov 2021 at 20:19
Pete, did you get a urine bottle as I previously suggested. It will help considerably with the frequent nighttime loo visits and the resulting tiredness. Believe me - I speak from personal experience!

All the best,

Chris

User
Posted 27 Nov 2021 at 18:24

My 33 days with cancer

Day 14.

Decided to call my Pile Martin after Martin Lewis the financial guy on TV because he’s also frustrating and a pain in the arse. However, having said that he has been behaving himself today and I can highly recommend ‘Germoloids’ to anyone who has a problem in this area. Richard after Richard Madeley came a close second.

I think without doubt ever since I had my prostate removed back in Feb 2017 the most difficult thing that I have had to contend with has been the change in my toilet habits, mainly in the number of times that I have to go to the toilet, it’s never really recovered although over the years having got it back to a manageable level the Radiotherapy has knocked me back to square one. I am keeping a log of how many times I go to the toilet in one 24-hour period as a matter of interest and I will report this back tomorrow. As I said yesterday the Radiotherapy treatment has certainly irritated my bladder and don’t I know it.

Sometimes I can go to the toilet empty my bladder sit back down and literally feel the urge to go again and when I return to the toilet, I ‘can’ actually go again it really is unbelievable!

I have picked up a prescription today to try and help with this, but I have been warned at least 3 times that they can make you feel tired and then you come to read the possible side effects Pheeew I have enough of them to cope with at the moment and I am considering not taking them so on that basis I’d better stop moaning about it.

I really wouldn’t like to be going through this if I had to go to work after my treatment every day and I feel really sorry for anyone that has to, that must be very difficult, so I am lucky in that respect…see there is always a silver lining!

Guy in today not met before didn’t get his name, this time he started off the conversation, “Prostate, is it?” yes I said, “and you?” “yes” he replied, “How did you find out about it?” I asked as I am always interested to know because from my experience I am absolutely amazed at the number of times that guys have told me that they just never knew they had it and showing no symptoms at all just like me. “MOT” he said “what?” “MOT wi mi doctor”. I hear this time and time again just a random check by the doctor. “ Mi PSA results was high and I was sent for biopsy then a scan, it had spread into me body and I never ad a clue” The scan revealed it had gone into his chest he told me that whilst he was having his chest scan the person performing the scan noticed a small lump on the side of his neck that he had never noticed, following another scan to his neck it had also spread to his neck. “yeah I’ve got to have mi radiotherapy er then I’m off to QMC for more treatment after this on mi chest” he said between coughs….”I ad covid to that nearly wiped mi out” He rested for a moment as I am trying to compute all this glad of the moments silence when he said “I’ve got ‘Blepharospasm’ as well ya know which involuntarily closed my eyelids they said that cud spread and affect other parts of mi body” …..The door burst open…”Peter Mitchell” a welcome call.

How am I feeling?

Better than yesterday so can come back down to 1.5 I am pleased to say. Tomorrow will be a good day!

#prostatecancer

User
Posted 29 Nov 2021 at 10:33

My 33 days with Cancer

Day 15

Over the past two weeks I have known a man named David conversing as we drank our water waiting our respective turns in the corridor. David is 76 and he had his last treatment today he had 20 in total. His eyes were smiling over his mask as he was quick to tell me that it was his last day, I was delighted for him. Suddenly looking at David 76 didn’t seem so old. I liked him and reflected on how strange it is how people come and go in your life for only snapshots in time, some you know for years others for fleeting moments then they are gone this was one of them.

I mentioned yesterday that I would log and report back on how many times I visited the toilet in one 24-hour period, and it was Twenty, twenty times in 24 hours, 6 during the night and 14 during the day my Willy has never been so exposed to so much fresh air.

Bladder issues are without doubt the most difficult and common problem that most men must deal with, and most complaints I hear seem to stem from this area, however men are affected by it differently and to varying degrees. Get unlucky and it is a very unpleasant and upsetting side effect.

When this journey first started, I was like everyone else ‘in the beginning’ very reluctant to drop my pants and expose my ‘ample member’ but after what I’ve been through anyone who asks can have a look it doesn’t matter anymore embarrassment goes out of the window trust me you get used to it.

20th December 2016, ….I remember it like it was yesterday it was a clear crisp sunny winters morning as Marilyn, and I walked gingerly towards the Urology department at the park Hospital. Today was the day we received my results from the scan and the ‘mapping’ biopsy, and I remember very well saying to my wife as we were walking that this could be a day that changes our lives.

We waited quietly, anxiously in reception both clearly nervous about the outcome time seemed to stand still you could hear a pin drop although there were other people in the room.

We were eventually called into the consultants office…..and I knew the result instantly we both did he gave the game away because he couldn’t look me in the eye, he was quietly reserved whereas on every other occasion he had always greeted us enthusiastically making eye contact with a smile and offering his hand. This time it was different very different, we sat down in front of him, he didn’t mess around, “Unfortunately Peter the results of the biopsy have confirmed the presence of underlying prostate cancer” Although I already knew this in my heart, I was still clinging on to some hope that the results could be negative that is until he actually spoke those words then all felt immediately lost.

He continued speaking but from that moment I couldn’t hear a word he was saying his lips were moving but nothing was coming out it all became a haze although I was aware of him speaking over Marilyn’s tears, it was a very emotional moment. I had to stop him “You’re going to have to leave this with me” I said. “of course, take all the time you need” we made another appointment to discuss things further and left.

So that dear reader is what it’s like to be informed that you have Cancer.

Tomorrow I will explain how they evaluate the severity of the cancer that you have.

How am I feeling?

Ok I’m still at 1.5 and I am pleased to say that the fatigue that I was warned about has not yet reared its ugly head although been tired on occasion, but I put that down to not sleeping properly. I was worried about fatigue so far so good then. I class tiredness and fatigue as totally different things as I class fatigue based on how you feel if you get Covid now that’s fatigue!

On the bed at 09.12 in the morning…Tomorrow will be a good day.

Pete

#prostatecancer

User
Posted 29 Nov 2021 at 12:23

Hi Pete.

I have just found your superbly entertaining posts. 

I had the RARP in July 2020 and my psa was 0.1 for quite a while. It has risen to 0.3 now and I have been referred for a PET scan and probably RT. Reading your posts has allayed most of my fears even though I am quite aware that everyone is different. 

Keep posting Pete. I am sure many of us on here look forward to your daily updates.

Stay safe mate. 

carlos

User
Posted 30 Nov 2021 at 21:12

My 33 days with cancer

Day 16

“Sorry I’ve forgotten your name?” “Tom” he replied, “I’ve forgotten yourn?” he said as he sat in the queue ahead of me clutching his plastic cup of water. Although we had met before we had only said hello in passing as our appointments had always crossed. “Av yo ad yourn out?’ he asked me “yes” “I avnt” he said.

Again, Tom is ‘a little bit chubby’ which is significant point in the story I am about to tell you. The next question was something I couldn’t suppress “How did you find out you had it, Tom?” “I dint no I ad it” he said……

AGHHHHHHHH!! Guys is this not resonating with you. Many men I have spoken to like me had no idea that they had prostate cancer I / we have heard this time and time again over the past two weeks can’t you see it’s a familiar pattern I really think it’s important that I get this message across to anyone reading this and wondering if its time they went and insisted on being checked out. Note: I don’t say asking for a prostate check, I say insisting on one, there is a big difference. Remember ‘the wheel that squeaks ALWAYS gets the oil’

“I ad DVT in mi leg” “you ad what” I said “DVT, Deep vein thrombosis” now at this stage I am so into knowing what happened next that I am praying that they don’t call him in.

“yeah mi leg swelled up like a balloon and they sent mi for blood tests, mi doctor for whatever reason don’t no why also asked them to include a PSA blood test at the same time, (normal range levels for a man of his age 60-65 are between 0 and 4.5 ng/ml) mi reading came back as 12ng/ml and 3 months later I went up to 22ng/ml although it dropped down a bit after that. I ad tu go for a mapping biopsy but they couldn’t do it with general anaesthetic cos I was tu fat” (my mind is now blown!!) “How did they do it then?” I asked

“Spinal tap” he said “which numbed me from the waist down” I think he is taking about an Epidural. “yeah I was awake the whole time as he put fifty individual needles in and out mi crutch couldn’t walk for rest ot day” (I was trying to write couldn’t in a Nottingham accent but had to give up) Now I don’t know any more detail here other than what he told me but it’s certainly a case for keeping the weight off, now he’s 15 days into a 20 day course of treatment.

“I also suffer from depression” he said. I’m not surprised after all that I thought. Doors swung open “Tom” they called him to the bed.

In 1966 Donald Gleason invented a method of measuring the severity of the cancer that you have by grading it after studying biopsies from 3,000 patients. This ‘Gleason score’ is now commonly used to tell a doctor how the cancer might behave in the future and to assess what treatment you may need.

Ok so as I understand it. There are 5 ‘grade groups’ 1-5 and your Gleason score determines which Grade group you fall into 1 being the least aggressive growing cancer 5 the most aggressive.

Your actual ‘Gleason score’ can be between 6 and 10 so for example if your Gleason score comes back as a total of 6 after they have analysed your biopsy sample then they will put you in Grade group 1 which determines that the cancer is likely to grow only very slowly on the other end of the scale if the Gleason score comes back as a 9 or 10 then this says that your cells look very abnormal and that the cancer is likely to grow very quickly.

Hence, they can determine from this what course of treatment options are suitable for you and these options can be various.

It gets quite complicated from here as the pathologist grades different cells from the same prostate sample biopsy and grades those to assess the overall Gleason score so in simple terms he or she might grade one cell with a Gleason score of 3 based on its less aggressive nature and another from the same sample a 4 thus they depict this as a 3+4 = 7 Gleason score total therefor is 7.

However, they might also find that they grade the samples 4+3=7 the difference is that a 3+4=7 means that the cancer is slower growing than they class a 4+3=7 which is likely to grow much faster, so this all depends on what the sample tells them. A Gleason score of say 5+4=9 therefore by definition is not good news as the cancer will grow more quickly. My score was 4+3=7 Toms was 3+4=7 his being slower growing.

All can get a bit confusing so I asked my consultant to explain it in plain English so he said “ok you’ve got 3 cars a 3 wheeler, a Ford focus and a Ferrari the 3 wheeler will never get there the Ford Focus will definitely eventually get there at some point and well the Ferrari your basically fkd! (My translation not his) I was in the Ford focus.

How do I feel?

Not the best day, a nagging ache in my groin all day and tired had a nap after nights sleep disrupted again. But I’ll stick at 1.5. On bed at 8.42am tomorrow then weekend break I am really looking forward to.

Pete

#prostatecancer

User
Posted 01 Dec 2021 at 19:00

My 33 days with cancer

Day 17

Walking from the car park for my treatment this morning I reflected that there are only two types of people really those who are sick and those who aren’t. The two live side by side but ‘worlds’ apart from each other so unless or until we become sick ourselves or someone, we love becomes sick, we never see what goes on behind the walls of the hospital. We see the walls we know they are there we pass by them every day, but we avoid venturing behind them at all costs unless we are forced to because becoming sick is a scary thing to think about so naturally, we put it to the back of our minds and dismiss the thought hoping it will never happen to us.

I think that’s why becoming sick ourselves comes as a bit of a shock as it always happens to someone else doesn’t it? But I also think that’s right, life is for living and we should all live it and embrace our good health while we have it

The big problem when we do become sick is that we have trained our minds not to think about it so when something unusual, something different something that’s ‘not quite right’ does happen to us, our first reaction in many cases is to ignore it.

You noticed a bit of blood in the pooh this morning, didn’t you? or was it in your urine? that lump looks a little bit bigger than it did yesterday doesn’t it? you’re peeing more than usual aren’t you? You keep getting those bad headaches over your eye, don’t you? the list goes on.

But you know don’t you? stood in that secret space that is you’re bathroom you know, and you’re stood looking in the mirror thinking NOOOO, s—t, that moment when the horror emoji comes out to greet you, you know! you don’t need anyone to tell you that it’s not right that you have a problem yet the thought and fear of what awaits you behind those hospital walls somehow sends you a bit daft! Common sense flies out of the bathroom window “It’ll go away” you say to yourself “I’ll have another look tomorrow maybe there will be no blood tomorrow”, “maybe the lump will have gone in the morning” and you ignore it the fear stops your brain from functioning properly and you ignore it time and time again preferring just to wait and see tomorrow. But tomorrow I am afraid is not ‘always’ going to be a good day.

You have started to speak to yourself a lot now, haven’t you?...Things like… “I’ll tell you what I’ll do I’ll wait until blood really starts to fill the bowl,” “I’ll just wait until my lump gets a bit bigger”, “I’ll wait until the pain over my eyes becomes more intense” 

The problem is that eventually you’re only going to get carted off behind the wall anyway but the difference is that you now must undergo s—t that you wouldn’t have had to go through if you had gone in the first place and caught it early, does that make any sense to you?

Why do you do this? because you are frightened. We are all frightened of the unknown but the reality of letting things go too far can mean the difference between how little or how much time we have left to spend life with the people we love, so you might have to have a needle inserted into your arm so they can take some blood I would say a very small price to pay when the people behind the wall can catch things early and then you get to spend more quality time with the people you love and I’ll take a prick in my arm anytime or in my case up the bum to achieve that.

I can see that horror emoji appearing again!

And the message, do not ignore what’s obvious when ‘you know!’

Rob went in to see his doctor as he had ligament trouble with his ankle, turns out he has, prostate cancer and… now how did he put it? …“I’ll be alright when I’ve had mi kidney out cos got a cancerous growth on it, thank god they caught fings in time cos the cancer is still contained within mi prostate”

How am I feeling?

Ok mainly a dull ache in my groin area but still at 1.5 going into the weekend.

Looking forward to two days off as it does become a bit waring by Fridays.

Have a good weekend guys.

Pete

#prostatecancer

User
Posted 01 Dec 2021 at 21:32

You're over halfway through 👍.

Dave

User
Posted 02 Dec 2021 at 11:58

Hello Dave 

Thanks for your post actually Dave I have only two sessions left as I have been writing this on Facebook and later thought that some of the content might help others in a similar situation so I began posting this on Prostate cancer uk some time after my Facebook post. Thank you for your support and wish you luck yourself 

Regards

Peter

User
Posted 02 Dec 2021 at 12:04

Hello Carlos,

Then you seem to be in exactly the same position as me. My Gleason score was 4 plus 3 so it looks like you will be advised to go down the same road. Its not that bad mate to date and I only have two sessions left and I am posting here after having written these blogs initially on Facebook. I am not saying its a walk in the park and its a right bind having to go to the hospital every day but if you are worried and want to talk about it let me know and I' can talk you through it.

Pete

User
Posted 02 Dec 2021 at 12:10

My 33 days with cancer

Day 18

Nightmare weekend and it all started so well. I was both relieved and excited that the week was finally over especially as Friday marked the halfway point of my treatment and we felt cause to celebrate, so Friday night felt great, and I was looking forward to two days off. We had a nice Indian meal which included onion Bargees, Samosas etc with the thinking that we had the next two days to recover, we felt so relaxed, and we shared a bottle and a half of wine.

The hospital has put me on a ‘no wind’ very bland diet on account that you cannot have any wind in your system whilst having Radiotherapy treatment, but on Friday I allowed myself to go ‘off-piste’ BIG ERROR!!

Unbelievable diarrhoea next morning, lost count on how many times I visited the toilet during the day sometimes only just making it, it was a nightmare weekend with stomach cramps and bottom pains to match. `This lasted all day with little respite and into the next day, won’t be making that mistake again. Settled down today thankfully. So, guys the lesson here is take note of what you are instructed to do whilst under treatment.

Had what they call a ‘clinic’ interview today this is a telephone conversation with a senior nurse to check to see how you are coping with the treatment so far.

I think you look for reassurance during these calls that everything will be ‘alright in the end’ so having discussed the weekends activities and the number of times I am visiting the toilet recently I asked the lady if everything would eventually calm down and get back to normal after my treatment had ended and the nurse replied “it should do” …it should do? what kind of an answer is that! Let’s try of course it will Peter things will get easier and eventually you will get back to normal.

I remember when I was a young child I had a fight with another lad and during the fight I went to kick him without noticing he was holding a file without a handle holding the pointy end of the file at me, the file went straight through the bone on top of my right foot and through a main artery however I didn’t feel a thing at the time until the lad just froze and started staring at my feet knowing what had happened. I went very hot, and I looked down to see my blood-soaked foot. I ran home and my mum panicking reached for a bowl from under the sink, she took my shoe and sock off and blood immediately spurted 3ft in the air. My reaction was AHHHGHHHHHHH screaming AM I GOING TO DIE, AM I GOING TO DIE???? as I thrashed about on the chair, she replied, “Oh I DON’T KNOW!”

Even at that young age I immediately thought what you mean ‘you don’t know’ which made things much worse all I wanted her to do was to lie even if I was going to die, I wanted her to tell me that I wasn’t, so neither my mother nor the nurse was very reassuring.

Met a new guy today he’s on day 4 of 20. A familiar tale “Its’ too late I’m afraid” he said. “Too late?” I questioned pretending not to know what this meant. “Yeah, my doctor never volunteered to test me he won’t do anything unless you demand it” I eventually went to him as I was having trouble peeing had a PSA test and it was high, and they eventually found out that it had spread to my chest and lymph nodes. With that they called him in.

These are like little 10-minute horror stories aren’t they but what they do is demonstrate to us the dangers of allowing the cancer to escape the prostate and guess what guys I am afraid it’s all up to YOU to make sure that this doesn’t happen as there is no screening for prostate cancer by the NHS. So, insist upon a test.

How do I feel?

Tonight, a damn sight better than the weekend I’m at 1.5 tonight but the weekend I was much higher. 

Peter

#prostatecancer

User
Posted 02 Dec 2021 at 12:12

Hello Chris,

Yes got one thanks and had to use it in one emergency. I was only about half mile from home and couldnt hold it anymore...close call.

Thanks Chris

Pete

User
Posted 04 Dec 2021 at 08:16

Hi Pete.

Im now waiting for the PET scan so don’t know what to expect with that, then the awful wait for the results. If I’m honest the constant tests and waiting for the results over the past few years has been worse than the surgery. 

I loved your daily diary of a RT journey it really helped me realise that I am not alone in this. If you have got time I would love to chat about your journey so far and pick your brains. 

Stay safe Pete

Carl.

User
Posted 04 Dec 2021 at 09:04

Hello Carlos,

No problem, drop me an email on peter.mitchell@gmx.co.uk and I'll let you have my number for a chat.

Pete

User
Posted 04 Dec 2021 at 09:07

My 33 days with cancer

Day 19

Ok so the doctor has confirmed and delivered the news that I have cancer of the prostate and that I am now in a Ford focus with a Gleason score of 4+3 (please refer to blog 16) now comes the discussion about what options I have moving forward, and I am now ready to listen. There are various options available depending on the severity of your cancer for people in my position and I won’t list them all here but the two options I had presented to me were to have Radiotherapy straight away directed directly at the prostate or removal of the prostate called a prostatectomy.

As I have already mentioned I elected to have the prostate removed to give me a second chance with radiotherapy in case anything went wrong which is where I find myself today bearing in mind that the prostate cannot be removed after having radiotherapy if I elected to go down this route first.

So, the date was set for the operation to remove my prostate a scary time. We arrived at the hospital early in the morning approximately one hour before the operation to enable them to prepare me. My wife and her son Ben gave me a lift to the hospital, and we all sat in reception waiting to be called in. I was asked to change into a gown you know the one that ties at the back showing your bum to the world. The little square changing room is a very lonely place as you change from your own clothes into a hospital gown it seemed surreal, and I asked myself if this was really happening to me. I bagged up my belongings and walked back out to the small waiting area we had now been directed to.

After a short period in walked the anaesthetist and her assistant very nice lady explained in detail what was about to happen but after she said, “right give us 10 minutes and we will call you in for your epidural” “Er a what? sorry a what?” I asked, “an epidural she said” NO ONE ever mentioned an epidural to me they left that one out “an epidural?” I said, “isn’t that what they give pregnant women?” this was definitely a wtf moment. I didn’t get an answer she was gone, and there I was left to ponder that one with my blood pressure rising by the second.

At this point I asked my wife to leave as I was getting emotional, and I didn’t want to say goodbye as they called me in as I felt I needed a little time by myself to man up and prepare myself mentally for what was about to happen. This was a good decision as I had indeed ‘got myself together’ by the time they came for me.

I entered a side room to the operating theatre and was met again by the anaesthetists and her assistant who had now changed to a male nurse, and I was asked to sit on the edge of the table, he moved in front of me and asked for both of my arms gesturing by putting his arms out towards me. I offered my arms and he grabbed both wrists pulling me forward into a bent over position towards him and continuing to hang on to me I heard from behind the anaesthetist say ok Peter you are now going to feel a very cold swab on your back and she was right it felt freezing, then she said something like you’re going to feel a little pressure on your spine whilst emphasising BUT YOU MUST NOT MOVE, the nurse tightened his grip pulling me tight towards him.

Now what ran through my mind was that this has got to be a very BIG needle going in my back, and in my mind’s eye its going in a millimetre from my spine and if I make any sudden move then it will snap off lodge in my spine paralyse me and I will be disabled forever. With that thought I made sure I sat still; thing is I don’t remember much beyond that, and I don’t remember it hurting either. The thought was definitely worse than the reality.

Now they asked me to lie down and tried to place a canular into the back of my right hand, they missed the vein, they tried again but the vein collapsed and finally managed to fix it into my left hand leaving me the next day with the mother of all bruises. She placed a mask over my face, and I was gone in seconds even though consciously I remember trying to fight it. They wheeled me in.

How do I feel?

Not been bad today and not been to the toilet as much but remains a problem. Tired though as nights still being disrupted by visits to the loo.

Still at 1.5 which at this stage is more than I could have hoped for fingers crossed this continues.

#prostatecancer

User
Posted 04 Dec 2021 at 22:08
Another thank you for your vivid description of what I am in for myself before long. I will be following the continuation with interest.

In my case prostatectomy in 2016, PSA went rignt down ... but routine checks showed it going from undetectable to in the recorded range and after 5 years definitely over the critical number of 0.2. Not rising fast (so good) but no sign of letting off (so needs action).

Anyway oncologist appointment week before last, on bicalutamide since then with an LHRH agonist on the menu for next week. Radiotherapy to follow somewhere around March, plus various investigations along the way. No doubt a tattoo (or several)! Meanwhile Covid Omicron means there may not be much chance to make the most of the calm before the storm.

Good luck Peter.

User
Posted 05 Dec 2021 at 13:20

My 33 days with Cancer

Day 20

As I lay prostrate (not prostate) on the bed she slipped another grape between my lips with her long elegant slender fingers her ample exposed breasts tantalisingly close whilst her perfume filled the air with such sweet fragrance I had never before experienced, below sat another scantily clad beauty massaging my feet with virgin coconut oil, either side of me lay two more naked women gently rubbing Eucalyptus oil specially imported from the Gardens of Babylon through my fingers. She leaned over whispering gently into my ear  “Peter, what would you like, what would you like Peter?” …….”Everything! …”I replied…Then she started shouting at me ”Peter, Peter, wake up Peter what are you like’ I opened my eyes to find nurse Rachet leaning over me in an attempt to wake me from this anaesthetic bliss I was experiencing. FFS was my immediate thought just give me another 5 minutes as in vain I fought to fall back to sleep.

Eventually I remember being pushed into my own private room, after all I was a Bupa private patient. This was alright, the room was lovely, equipped with tv etc everything you need for a relaxing overnight stay although I can think of better ways of spending a Friday night. No naked women supplied though which was a huge disappointment, although I don’t know what I would have done with them if there had been.

It was about midday now and I was eventually visited by my family we talked they asked how I was feeling etc when suddenly it rose from nowhere, “I’m going to be sick, I’m going to be sick” Marilyn passed a bowl to me just in the nick of time, projectile vomiting like you have never seen. I have never experienced anything like it whilst not under the influence of drink anyway. It never stopped I think I filled six bowls one immediately after the other the family were passing them constantly ‘down the line’ like passing buckets along to douse a fire, it was truly an horrendous scene. I found out it was a reaction to the anaesthetic.

Eventually my visit was coming to an end as it was late afternoon now and Marilyn was thinking of leaving for the night leaving me to relax in my room when at that moment all hell broke loose my room doors burst wide open, porter’s and nurses filled the room wheeling in a big bloke on a bed wtf was all this, this is my room. He didn’t look good but that’s not my problem ‘get out’ he was followed in by his crying wife crying like he was on deaths door into her handkerchief this is all I need.

What’s going on? It slowly dawned on me that this was to be my roommate for the night as he didn’t look like he was just passing through, he had had his prostate removed after me in the afternoon slot and was just brought up from theatre, so he was a good 8 hours behind me, great my night was ruined. They threw the curtain around his bed whilst they settled him in. Eventually everyone left and it fell silent. The nurse drew back the curtains to reveal a sorry looking giant sat up in bed. He looked over clearly feeling sorry for himself “Hello my names Steve”

How am I feeling?

Still at 1.5 thankfully although had my worse night ever having seriously lost count on how many times I got up to go to the toilet it’s the hardest part to as it makes you tired due to the lack of sleep.

Pete

User
Posted 07 Dec 2021 at 08:59

My 33 days with Cancer

Day 21

Looking back its strange because there is so much to take in during this time, I am talking about the actual operation in having the prostate removed. You forget some of what you are told, you don’t listen sometimes, you don’t read the leaflets that they give you properly and maybe they forget to tell you stuff. Something else I didn’t read properly, or I simply cast out of my mind is that that you wake up with a catheter in place, looking at the picture from day 19 having not long woken up from the operation I don’t think that I was yet aware that I had one fitted.

If you ask any man, this must be his worst nightmare “Oh and yes and one last thing we are going to stick a pipe up your willy Peter” I had heard of this but never imagined it would ever happen to me.

I remember visited my father in hospital some years ago and there was an old boy in the bed next to him. “Nurse, Nurse I want toilet” “Nurse I need toilet” They ignored him, He’s shouting now “Nurse I need toilet I’m going to pee” The nurse finally arrived as I looked over to his bed shell shocked at the amount of time it had taken for a nurse to saunter over to him. “What’s up Derek, stop shouting” “I need toilet” he shouts “need toilet” “ok just a minute Derek” as I mentioned Derek is an old boy and doesn’t look very well, he’s certainly not about to jump out of bed anytime soon. Eventually a doctor arrives and pulls the curtain around the bed, like we can’t hear anything now. “I need toilet” he shouts again. FFS someone take the poor sod to the toilet.

Now I want you to picture the scene because its visiting time I’m sat visiting my dad in the next bed and there must have been at least six patients in that small ward, every patient apart from Derek had a visitor or two. Derek’s problem now takes centre stage “ok Derek” said the Doctor, “what we are going to do (he’s shouting now because Derek is deaf) is insert a tube up your penis which will allow you to Pee alright” again was that a question or a statement? Only a slight acknowledgement of the situation seemed to come from Derek.

I can tell you at this point the whole room fell silent time stood still, men you had never met in your life before looked at each other with twisted faces. “Ok Derek now try to relax I’m going to put some lubrication in to help it on its way” “AGHHEEEEEEE Derek began to scream there was a collective FFS throughout the room seriously it seemed to go on for ages, my thinking at the time was why the hell don’t you wheel him out and do it we don’t need to witness this. To a man we all felt sorry for Derek and complete silence was maintained until the screaming subsided. I cannot imagine ever going through that I thought, you wouldn’t be able to do that to me.

And here I am tube inserted in my Willy (I was surprised they had my size ‘Large’ in stock) The only good thing about this is that I was asleep when they put it in straight after the operation, so I was thankful for that.

The reason you must have a catheter fitted is to allow the new join made between your bladder and urethra to heal it’s in for about two weeks.

The surgeon actually cuts a length off of your urethra about the length of your prostate because the urethra actually goes through the prostate so you lose that bit, makes your willy smaller as its pulled back into the body because your urethra is obviously now that much shorter, he then re attaches your urethra back onto your bladder having removed the prostate. Educational this isn’t it?

Once it had dawned on me that I had one fitted I had the same fears as pregnant women must have in that ‘it’s got to come out!!!

Two weeks on we are at the hospital. Marilyn and I are in a side room waiting on the arrival of the nurse to remove it I am laying on the bed Marilyn sat beside me this is one time I needed moral support. This I was not looking forward to, I don’t know who was whiter me or the sheets.

In she walked a no-nonsense nurse from the old school you can just tell. Ok Peter what we are going to do this morning is take this out and then I want you to drink a litre of water SLOWLY as we need to make sure that you can empty your bladder properly before we discharge you so that you don’t then get any infection’s any questions?

“Yes” I said, “what happens if I can’t empty my bladder properly after drinking the water?” “Then it’ll have to go back in” she said. Panic enveloped my very soul. I was frightened to death. I’d be a screamer just like Derek.

Ok she said, “pants down” As I mentioned by this time, I was used to dropping my trousers for anybody, so this wasn’t a problem although your Willy with a catheter inserted is a sorry sight, he looked a very miserable specimen. “Right Peter I’m going to count three and on Three I want you to cough loudly, give it a good cough, ok!” “ok” I said happy to agree to anything that was going to make this easier.

I remember what was in my head at that time, it was that it had been stuck up there for two weeks so it must have stuck to the side wall of my urethra, and everything must be very dry I’m terrified this is going to hurt “one “ I’m ready “two she literally on two yanked it straight out AHHHH was my immediate reaction but here’s the thing guys it didn’t hurt I was amazed, relieved and very thankful and I am very pleased to be able to pass information this on.

Don’t know if you are aware but they ‘blow up’ a balloon at the end of the catheter once its’ been inserted into your bladder so it can’t fall out then they deflate it to remove it, clever eh.

How am I feeling?

Ok two weeks and one day to go so hoping that it goes without further incident.

At 1.5

Peter

#prostatecancer

User
Posted 07 Dec 2021 at 11:54

Hello J-B

If you would like to talk about it just let me know.

Kind Regards

Peter

User
Posted 07 Dec 2021 at 13:55

Well Peter, you made me laugh about your antics with things up your delicate bits. It may be my last laugh as by this time next week I will be looking  down thinking whats that tube doing there. Can I just ask when they say they will examine you with a telescope, is that a 6 inch one, and is that the length or the width?

Here's me thinking TURPS was something to clean the paint brushes with.

Next year I will look forward to Radiotherapy and I will remember your blog.

Steve.

User
Posted 07 Dec 2021 at 13:57
Thanks, appreciated Peter.

Right now I'm fine, though looking out for side effects from Zoladex injection today. I am assuming the radiotherapy will come in March, but I will no doubt be told more at the next oncology appointment after Christmas. By then I hope you will have updated your story with experience of recovery - I am facing up to the fact there are going to be several tough weeks, but worry about how long it will toake to get back to more normal life afterwards.

User
Posted 07 Dec 2021 at 14:26

Hello Steve,

Size doesn't matter whatever size your told it is wont stop you worrying about it, like fishing you can always exaggerate the size afterwards which should give you some kudos you'll get through it mate don't worry its only a 'moment in time' you wont feel anything anyway. 

Good luck, remember to give us all the details later

Peter