I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Colonoscopy affects PSA?

User
Posted 28 Nov 2021 at 18:11

My annual oncology, phone, consultation is coming up in couple of weeks, I generally get bloods done week before. I'm due a colonoscopy on 3 Dec. As 'stress' to prostate area is not a good thing prior to a PSA test (normally cycling, sex, strenuous exercise etc) would a colonoscopy cause such stress to prostate area so wait as long as possible before bloods? I do still have a prostate. I know if an adverse result comes up I'd probably just get another test done but best to avoid if possible.

Peter

User
Posted 28 Nov 2021 at 19:35
If the doctor was going to stick a large butt plug up your bum first, if would be sensible to wait a week or so before having your PSA test but a colonoscopy is done with a thin flexible tube which is not going to significantly bang against and stimulate your prostate. You should be fine.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 28 Nov 2021 at 19:43
"cycling, sex, strenuous exercise etc"

PS it is thought that orgasm (not sex) can cause a temporary rise in PSA of about 10% for a day or so in a man with a prostate. There is no evidence that strenuous exercise results in anything more than a very temporary rise (an hour or so). Cycling may lead to a small rise (again, at or less than 10%) for up to 4 hours.

Important not to allow what you read online to make it into a bigger deal than it actually is!

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 28 Nov 2021 at 20:46

Thanks for the reassurance, it is what i thought really and wasnt too bothered but would have perhaps waited a couple of days longer to get bloods done if necessary/suggested. I wouldnt have sought advice elsewhere or anything. Thanks again. Peter

User
Posted 29 Nov 2021 at 17:34
More important, I understand if you have had a very recent tummy upset, that can cause an inaccurate test result.

Best postpone the test, if that is the case.

User
Posted 29 Nov 2021 at 18:05
Thanks for comment, it's a 'follow up' thing so not due to any recent complaints. Had colonoscopy Mar 2019 when polyp removed that was high risk/ pre cancerous so it was agreed to check again in 12 months but covid came along to delay everything but, at least I haven't been forgotten.

Peter

User
Posted 14 Dec 2021 at 18:38

Thought may as well comment here. Had 12 month phone consultation this morning, all good, no issues, PSA actually gone down to 0.37 from 0.5 12 months ago. Still have prostate so that's all pretty good.

Take it easy         Peter