I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Scuba Diving and PSA Reduction

User
Posted 03 Dec 2021 at 11:07

In June 2013 I was originally diagnosed with aggressive Prostate Cancer staged at T4.......In September 2013 had a Radical Prostatectomy, followed by Extensive Radiotherapy in January 2014. In January 2016 the cancer spread to the bone and had chemo.........I have had 3 lots SABR Radiotherapy in October 2019 and March 2021 for various new tumours.

Just recently for 3 consecutive months my PSA has been doubling and was at a a high of 5.2, which is the highest that my PSA since original diagnosis. With a PSA of only 1.0 the cancer spread to the bone so my Oncologist is very careful with me. Just before I went on holiday I had another PSMA scan which has highlighted that I have 5 new tumours all in the bone. 

During the holiday for 3 weeks I obviously had a massive dose of Vitamin D from the sun. I also completed 44 scuba dives. Each dive was approximately 60 minutes long and had a maximum depth of 30 meters, during the diving I was using Nitrox which is enriched air at 32% instead of normal 21%..........I was also hitting the gym for an hour after diving doing aerobic exercise in which 45 minutes of these was with a heart rate above 160BPM.

What is interesting though since the holiday I had bloods done and my PSA has now dropped approximately 20% to 4.0, when I was seriously expecting it to have increased a lot again.  I did some research on the web and it would appear there has been lots of trials conducted on hyperbaric oxygen’s use as a cancer treatment, with mixed or inconclusive results. 

Not sure how many active Scuba Divers are on the forum but has anybody else seen their PSA drop after doing lots of dives.

Edited by member 04 Dec 2021 at 02:03  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 03 Dec 2021 at 11:50
If there are any divers here, hopefully they will respond. In the meantime, we have had a couple of members who tried hyperbaric oxygen treatment so worth you trying the search function. Also be aware that sometimes, as the cancer becomes more aggressive it stops producing PSA so important not to be lulled into a false sense of security - stay vigilant!
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 03 Dec 2021 at 12:29

ATP 

I had approximately 30 one hour sessions of hyperbaric oxygen treatment over a five months period to treat radiation damage to the bladder.  Unfortunately I was to far gone for it too work.

My SRT finshed 25/5/2017. I started the HBOT sessions at the end of January 2018.

There were couple of people having HBOT with the intention of it treating thier cancers, no idea of there outcomes.  Below are my PSA readings either side of treatment. My PSA has fluctuated throughout my journey and the changes in readings are so small and presumably RT was still doing something, so I don't think you can read anything into the figures. I didn't have HT

28/11/2017 0.04

07/03/2018 0.06

31/07/2018 0.05

25/01/2019 0.10

There are various oxygen centres around the UK that offer reduced rates to people with cancer, I think i was paying around £15 a session.

Thanks Chris