I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Bit of a conundrum re the Ultra sensitive PSA test

User
Posted 08 Jan 2022 at 17:52

I have a question my PSA is tested to three decimal places and since I started taking Enzalutimude and having hormone injections in June 2020  and subsequent RT in Feb 2021  has been registered as undetectable <0.01 .Great you may think , but a recent bone scan (only required because I had pain from at the time undiagnosed shingles) and subsequent ct scan are registering a sacral illiac joint anomaly or take up of tracer that at this moment in time is proving equivocal .No one knows exactly what has  caused it my blood bone markers are all normal and PSA still undetectable at <0.01 .My question is how low does the USPSA test go ? If it went to say 4 or 5 decimal places there may be evidence of progression not covered by the catch all <0.01 as being undetectable and therefore not giving rise to concern. But there is scan evidence of something going on that is not being picked up by   the PSA or blood results as given at  the moment .The consultant is saying that percentage wise if my PSA remains undetectable the  chances are it is bone thinning due to ADT or RT  but this is a rather nebulous diagnosis so I'm wondering if the USPSA test can go lower ?

User
Posted 08 Jan 2022 at 20:27

The most sensitive for clinical reporting is 0.003 as far as I know. One hospital near me uses this for their prostatectomy patients.

There are more sensitive tests used for research, but not for clinical reporting.

User
Posted 08 Jan 2022 at 21:50
usPSA is unreliable anyway - the same sample can give two different readings and PSA can vary slightly at different times of the day. It is possible that you have a non-secreting prostate cancer but if onco's instinct is that the equivocal area is not a met I would trust that until / unless something changes. He has the benefit of a) your images b) the lab report c) years of experience of similar men
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 09 Jan 2022 at 10:39

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
usPSA is unreliable anyway - the same sample can give two different readings and PSA can vary slightly at different times of the day.

I would disagree from the results shared with me from my local hospital. The usPSA results are very consistent for each patient. One prostatectomy patient who shares his results has been 0.006 for years now, and another is steadily increasing by 0.001 or 0.002 every reading. If graphed, the lines would be very smooth.

They only use usPSA for prostatectomy patients.

User
Posted 09 Jan 2022 at 11:02
BAUS doesn't agree with you Andy and fewer & fewer of the top urologists or cancer centres of excellence are using usPSA, even for RP patients.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 09 Jan 2022 at 12:07

I am a fan of ultra sensitive.  After my prostatectomy, my PSA went from 0.014, 0.015, 0.019 to 0.023.

I had a PSMA scan which miraculously picked up some cancer in some nodes.

Salvage radiotherapy and bicalutimide followed.  PSA has been <0.006 since the of SRT in June 2018. 

Next PSA test early February.  If it is still <0.006, I'll be discharged from oncology and will have an annual PSA test through my GP.

Feeling butterflies in my stomach as I type - the pre PSA test jitters are starting.

What many do tend to forget is the oncologist has a full set of data to look at, not just PSA results.  0.023 was really low, but as I had Gleason 9, pT3b, positive margins, peri neural spread, extra capsular extention, the oncologist knew something was going on.  Given the mess I was in, it was pretty obvious from the start I'd need a range of treatments.

The only question I have about the normal PSA test is how long I would have waited until I got to 0.1 for investigations to begin.

That said, I do think we need to remember we are all individuals and that dictates our treatments.    Listen to your oncologist.

User
Posted 09 Jan 2022 at 12:20

Thank you for your replies. I am still hormone sensitive and my prostate has been removed, normal histology at the time no evidence of anything other than Prostate  Adenocarcenoma .So any upward  change in PSA would be evidence of progression however small , USPSA testing has its uses especially in cases like mine .Hopefully the proposed MRI scan will shed light on this bone anomaly but it might be useful if the PSA test was done to a three or four decimal place as this could indicate a rise that the three decimal place test is not revealing .

User
Posted 09 Jan 2022 at 15:50

Hi,

My initial thought, Librajc, is your psa is so low it can only be used as reference for future tests and not to determine whether there is something to worry about.  It's a very small fraction of a thousand-millionth in a milli-litre.

It seems whatever the level you wonder what it really means.   I've wondered if say 0.05 means 0.0450 to 0.0549 or 0.05 to 0.599 as it could make a big difference in doubling time on the previous or next test at those low levels.

Reducing anxiety appears to be one of the reasons hospitals adopt higher thresholds and it likely does work.   Although Ulsterman comes up to disprove it around 0.02 and I would support a minimum of <0.03 which has been said to produce a consistent minimum.

All the best
Peter

Edited by member 09 Jan 2022 at 15:51  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 09 Jan 2022 at 16:53

What is the definition of ulltra sensitive. 

What is

My results were always to two decimal points, my results always told me where I was heading. Had mine been reported as less than 0.1 at 26 months post op I would have been told, sorry we have a problem. 

My oncologist says our blood samples are unreliable not the testing machines.

Thanks Chris

Edited by member 09 Jan 2022 at 21:37  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 10 Jan 2022 at 11:47
Anything better than 0.1 IE 1 decimal place is ultrasensitive.

So 0.01 and 0.001 are all ultrasensitive.

User
Posted 08 Aug 2022 at 21:34

I am struggling to find an USPSA test in the UK. The best I have found is HCA Labs which measures down to 0.04 ug/L. Any advice on where/how to find a more sensitive test?

User
Posted 08 Aug 2022 at 21:40

0.04 is a usPSA test

Many labs have stopped offering usPSA as it is increasingly considered unreliable. If your consultant wanted you to have usPSA, s/he would have told you where you should go for your tests. 

Edited by member 08 Aug 2022 at 23:39  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 08 Aug 2022 at 22:00

I think I have seen the odd post on here quoted to three decimal places. To be honest if someone says there PSA is 0.003 I guess it is anywhere between 0.003 and 0.3 and for most people that is accurate enough (post RP patients excepted). If they say its doubled from 0.03 to 0.006 I just smile. So for these reasons a test to more than one decimal place is not worth getting involved with.

Dave

User
Posted 09 Aug 2022 at 00:28

My prostate was removed in the US.  I was able to have ultra sensitive tests there,  but have struggled to find any since I moved back to the UK.  I had one in Singapore last year whilst travelling. My NHS GP says he's never heard of USPSA. Any help pointing me in the right direction would be appreciated.

User
Posted 09 Aug 2022 at 00:48

TDL (The Doctors Laboratory) used by GFCT (Graham Fullford Charitable Trust) measure to 2 decimal places, and at least down to 0.03 (but probably down to 0.01). You can do a PSA test by post from them, at https://mypsatests.org.uk for £26. They do most of the charity PSA tests. They are also used by one NHS cancer alliance that I know of to do PSA screening tests by post, bypassing GPs.

User
Posted 09 Aug 2022 at 09:11

It seems whatever the level you wonder what it really means.   I've wondered if say 0.05 means 0.0450 to 0.0549 or 0.05 to 0.599 as it could make a big difference in doubling time on the previous or next test at those low levels.

0.05 absolutely should mean 0.0450 to 0.0549.

_____

Two cannibals named Ectomy and Prost, all alone on a Desert island.

Prost was the strongest, so Prost ate Ectomy.

User
Posted 09 Aug 2022 at 11:25

My prostate was removed in the US.  I was able to have ultra sensitive tests there,  but have struggled to find any since I moved back to the UK.  I had one in Singapore last year whilst travelling. My NHS GP says he's never heard of USPSA. Any help pointing me in the right direction would be appreciated.

Well wherever you end up getting your next test, you need to try to stick with them for a while as you cannot completely rely on PSA tests processed at different labs; machine noise and differences in calibration can be significant. 

User
Posted 09 Aug 2022 at 12:06
Wolverhampton New Cross do it