I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error
12>

Just how painful IS a transperineal biopsy?

User
Posted 19 Jan 2022 at 09:27

Greetings - brand new to the forums so please be gentle with me!

With a rising PSA level I can foresee another MRI followed by a biopsy on the horizon. I've heard conflicting reports about how painful the biopsy is. Some say it's the most painful thing they've ever endured, are still traumatised by it and would never, ever have another - other's say it's no big deal. Surely if it's that painful it should be done under general anaesthetic? Any reassurance would be most welcome! Thanks.

User
Posted 20 Jan 2022 at 12:38
Uncomfortable, but certainly not painful. They use the same local anaesthetic that dentists use to numb your mouth when you have a filling.

Cheers,

Chris

User
Posted 21 Jan 2022 at 07:40

I would think, Microcolei, that is the case. I am sure there is a maximum number of cores that can be taken under a local anesthetic. I had 13 cores taken under my local and 19 under a general 3 months later. There are more risks to the patient if a general anesthetic is given which is why, perhaps, when first assessing whether a patient has prostate cancer most undergo a local anesthetic biopsy.

Interesting to note that my local anesthetic biopsy only found cancer in a very small area on the right hand side of my prostate (even though core samples were taken from both sides) whereas the general anesthetic biopsy found that the cancer was throughout my prostate. I keep meaning to ask the consultant whether that was because the general anesthetic biopsy needles go in deeper.

Ivan 

User
Posted 21 Jan 2022 at 15:02
Dave, the local anaesthetic is injected by the same device that does the sampling. I'm sure you would have had one!

Cheers,

Chris

User
Posted 26 May 2022 at 22:20

I am 64 have an enlarged prostrate and have a very shy bladder and just have a transperineal biopsy. I am a anxious person so worried for the 4 weeks. However on the day the staff where great,  I had a local and that was more uncomfortable than painful, after that I felt nothing at all, I had 5 cores taken( had a MRI before ) and it was all over in 10 mins. I was out of the hospital 30 mins later. I was informed about blood in the urine but when I got home urinated the rest of the day with no blood and a bit sore down below but it was minor. I thought it was all done so I went to work the next day and started to pass blood in the urine. This is day 2 decided to stay at home, sometime there is blood sometimes not (not a lot of blood drinking seems too help). Hoping that will get better over the next few days. Now I wait for the results. Good luck

User
Posted 20 Apr 2023 at 14:03
After the next few weeks the colour should change from "tomato sauce" to "brown sauce" as the blood cells die, and then it'll gradually clear up. It is entirely normal.

All the best,

Chris

User
Posted 20 Apr 2023 at 15:52
Glad it went well open4321. I think it’s certainly better than getting it done up the jacksie! And much less prone to infection too.

I’m Amazed (I shouldn’t be really) at just how good the nurses are..they kept my mind right of it even though I had a visiting party from another Healthboard watching the whole procedure! You kind of get use to these things like dropping your drawers every day for RT!

User
Posted 10 Jul 2023 at 22:40

I had a tp under local 6 months ago - I have delayed posting as I did not want to put people off. But as a retired medic I think it is reasonable that people should have all the facts. I was probably unlucky but I found the procedure extremely uncomfortable and would not be prepared to go through it again. Although it was carried out very professionally by experts. The local anaesthetic was very painful (8/10) although I was warned and prepared for that. They then waited for 5 minutes for the local to work. What I was not prepared for was that I felt all 9 biopsies (a bit like bee stings) on the one side and by the 9th I felt the prostate was on fire (9/10) and I could not have taken much more. Fortunately the second side was not as bad. Then to cap it all the burning increased and I was in severe discomfort for the next 1.5 hrs. Fortunately my wife was able to come in and drive me home as I could not have driven. I told the nurses I was in pain but no analgesia was offered. Once I got home a large dose of ibuprofen soon calmed things down.  But it was all very unpleasant especially as I consider myself a reasonably stoical person who hardly ever takes painkillers. - and the results were negative so that's good.

Given that this is going to be a very common procedure and many people will need more than one. I wrote to the surgical team to tell them about my experience as I felt the level of pain was unacceptable in this day and age.  I suggested that they should at least offer people IV sedation/ analgesia with something like shot of midazolam and fentanyl immediately before the procedure. The surgeon did reply to me but made no mention of offering anything IV. I can see this is offered by some centres, perhaps more so in the USA. I don't think I could go through that again without more attention to pain relief.

User
Posted 11 Jul 2023 at 01:41
It appears to me that it is the injections and time waited for these to take effect that may account for the widely differing experiences of men. Many will have had a tooth drilled and filled where the dentist waits a short time before drilling, while others let you wait in the waiting room while they work on somebody else and only then resume working on you - the latter with less painful results.

As previously mentioned, i can't say i found my 2 tp biopsies painful at all. However, I had to abort a Colonoscopy for a different problem as it was very painful, whilst others breezed through it.

Barry
User
Posted 30 Jul 2023 at 21:13

MIke had 22 cores taken under local anaesthetic 

User
Posted 30 Jul 2023 at 21:38

I had 14 under local which subsequently broke into 21

User
Posted 30 Jul 2023 at 21:40

My husband had 26 samples under local. He said although he winced at every click, it wasn’t painful through most of it, at one point he started to feel more pain and they administered more anaesthetic and he was fine. Post TPB he was a bit uncomfortable but not really any pain and he was pleasantly surprised.

User
Posted 31 Jul 2023 at 04:33

I had 12 under local and 3 months later 24.

My 1st experience was rather teasing and uncomfortable. So I decided to keep myself busy (talking to the nurse standing next to me) 2nd time round. It did work. I virtually felt nothing during biopsy.

User
Posted 22 Jan 2024 at 18:43

Had a transperineal biopsy on the 18 January under local anaesthetic.

It was done by a nurse in training overseen by a doctor. The original plan was to take 12 samples but this changed to 24 when I arrived for the procedure. My positive outlook suggested that this was to give the nurse additional practice. :) She had a few ‘misfires’ meaning more than 24 ‘shots’.

Next to no pain during the procedure except for a couple of times I felt a very small sting from the needle.

A little bit of blood when I went to the toilet at the hospital and zero since. No pain whatsoever. Not got as far as finding out how much blood is in my semen.

I hope the above helps someone about to go through this.

Edited by member 22 Jan 2024 at 18:45  | Reason: Not specified

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 19 Jan 2022 at 20:00

Well, I have had 2 TP's, one in June 21 which was under a local anesthetic and one in September 21 which was under a general anesthetic. Now everybody is different, but I had no issues with either of mine at all. No pain or side effects- apart from blood in the urine and semen for a few days/a week. It is true to say that I could feel, in the sense of a sensation, the needles going into my prostate when under a local anesthetic but, for me, it was not painful. Being totally asleep when I had the general anesthetic  biopsy meant that I felt absolutely nothing- pain or sensations.

It is worth pointing out that the local anesthetic biopsy (13 cores taken) only found cancer in one small area on the right hand side of my prostate whereas the general anesthetic biopsy (19 cores taken) found it all over my prostate.

That is when I decided to undergo treatment.

Ivan

User
Posted 19 Jan 2022 at 20:18

My biopsy under local aesthetic was not painful nor any major issues afterwards.
Granted I have only ever had one, diagnosis and treatment followed.

(Laid back and thought of England !!)

P.

Edited by member 19 Jan 2022 at 20:19  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 19 Jan 2022 at 21:07

When I had mine, it was under local anaesthetic. It was uncomfortable rather than painful - the 'tool' makes a sound like a stapler, which can be a bit off-putting at first. I was given 2 different types of penicillin to take for 3 days, and was not allowed to leave the hospital until I had proved that I could pee - about 30 minutes after the procedure. When I did manage to pee, the blood and clots in the urine were a bit disconcerting! But really, it's not that big a deal - unpleasant, rather than painful.
Hermit.

User
Posted 19 Jan 2022 at 22:22

I had a TPB way back in 2016 under a general anaesthetic and another last year, again under a general anaesthetic, and had no pain afterwards with either. Like others a little blood in my urine for a few days.

User
Posted 19 Jan 2022 at 22:40

My multi-core template biopsy was under general anaesthetic and thus painless.

Can you have any part in deciding about the type of biopsy and the level of anaesthesia?

I had an alarming amount of blood in my urine for some time afterwards, about which I hadn't been warned but it settled down eventually and was a "normal" side effect.

Jules

User
Posted 19 Jan 2022 at 23:00

My biopsy was uncomfortable rather than painful, and far from the worse thing I've ever undergone.

I wasn't offered any anaesthetic.

I had 13 cores taken, 8 one side then 5 the other. i've since wondered if they stopped at that point because I was whinging, but suspect rather more likely was that it was because they'd biopsied all the areas indicated as suspect by the MRI.

I had one episode afterwards of blood in the urine, but it was a slight discolouration not bright red urine.

For me the procedure was far less of a problem than my imagination had built it up to be beforehand.

User
Posted 20 Jan 2022 at 00:16
I have had 2 TP biopsies. The first under General Anaesthesia, the second last year under Deep Sedation. Both were painless and after the DS one I was almost immediately eating a sandwich and drinking a cup of tea. There was slight discomfort afterwards where needles had taken cores which ended after a week. The first one was more tender, probably because many more needles were used. After the second one, I was driven 200+ miles from the hospital to my home without problem. The day after the procedure there was a little more discomfort, probably because of bruising coming out.
Barry
User
Posted 20 Jan 2022 at 09:15

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the replies.

DaveHz - NO anaesthetic?! That sounds barbaric! (shocked face)

Yes, I imagine the thought of needles 'down there' is maybe worse than the procedure itself.

Seems to be a mix of local and general being used. Would still prefer a general!

Let's see what happens after the next blood test.

Stay strong folks.

User
Posted 20 Jan 2022 at 09:15

MY Tp Biopsy was under a General A. 18 cores. No pain but quite a lot of discomfort whilst sitting for the next 3 months or so. I mentioned this to the surgeon prior to the RP operation where I was told I would be 50% nerve sparing. After the Op the surgeon informed me that I was very lucky as there was considerable "stickiness" around one side the Prostate caused by the Biopsy. Luckily for me this was on the side of planned nerve removal. If not the OP would have been total nerve removal.

Regarding colouration of semen. The longer you leave ejaculation after Biopsy the more the semen will go from red wine to Iron Filings ( 6 weeks in my case). Best of luck.

User
Posted 20 Jan 2022 at 09:29
I aborted my TP biopsy under local as it was too painful. Urologist doing it told me only 1 in 20 men could not tolerate the biopsy under local so that made me feel special. I rebooked under general and didnt feel a thing. I recommend a general !
User
Posted 20 Jan 2022 at 11:46

Out off 10 found it a 7 it hurts but over in no time mine was under local and found to be Gleason 9 but after radiotherapy and hormone therapy 1 year later PSA 0.01 from a starting point off 24.9 before treatment feeling really well  and back full time at work  gaz 👍

User
Posted 20 Jan 2022 at 12:38
Uncomfortable, but certainly not painful. They use the same local anaesthetic that dentists use to numb your mouth when you have a filling.

Cheers,

Chris

User
Posted 20 Jan 2022 at 18:12
I had a mine under local, just a wince when the the first injection goes in, then just lie back and take it. The worst part for me was up until that day I had only seen male consultants. Walked into the room for the biopsy and immediatly wondered why there were three women there. Drop your trousers and underwear and make youself comfortable on the chair she said. Feet up in stirrups and away she went. It's not painful but you leave your dignity outside the door when you walk in.
User
Posted 20 Jan 2022 at 19:59

Hi Brentmeister,

I had my Biopsy at the end of a very busy day, including a DRE, an MRI, the Biopsy and the issuing of Bicalutamide tablets as well as meetings with various consultants, doctors and nurses.

I do remember being given antibiotics for the biopsy, but I'm wondering now if someone slipped me a local anaesthetic somewhere along the way, but if so I genuinely don't remember it.

After reviewing everyone else posting having had local or general, and only me claiming no anaesthetic I'm starting to feel like an unreliable witness.

Edited by member 20 Jan 2022 at 20:30  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 20 Jan 2022 at 21:20

Appreciate all the responses, they have settled my mind a little should I need one.

DaveHz, yes, perhaps there was a local anaesthetic in there somewhere! 

(if only one could insist on a general though!)

User
Posted 20 Jan 2022 at 23:34

I'm wondering if the higher core rate TP's use a general anaesthetic where the lower core rate samples might use a local.

If so, you would be better off with a higher core rate both because it will give a better sampling and possibly guarantee you a general anaesthetic.

Hard to know how these things work. It would be cheaper to not have to give a general anaesthetic though perhaps because of pain, it might not be possible to take a high core rate sampling with a local anaesthetic.

Any thoughts people?

Jules

Edited by member 21 Jan 2022 at 08:22  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 21 Jan 2022 at 07:40

I would think, Microcolei, that is the case. I am sure there is a maximum number of cores that can be taken under a local anesthetic. I had 13 cores taken under my local and 19 under a general 3 months later. There are more risks to the patient if a general anesthetic is given which is why, perhaps, when first assessing whether a patient has prostate cancer most undergo a local anesthetic biopsy.

Interesting to note that my local anesthetic biopsy only found cancer in a very small area on the right hand side of my prostate (even though core samples were taken from both sides) whereas the general anesthetic biopsy found that the cancer was throughout my prostate. I keep meaning to ask the consultant whether that was because the general anesthetic biopsy needles go in deeper.

Ivan 

User
Posted 21 Jan 2022 at 11:29

I had 20 cores taken under local anaesthetic. Half way through I did feel an uncomfortable scraping sensation when one core was taken but another shot of the local fixed it for the remainder. I did not pass any blood afterwards, but peeing wasn't fun for a while. Drove home after 30 minutes rest but sat in a soft chair for rest of the day. All that said, I would go for local again. 

User
Posted 21 Jan 2022 at 15:02
Dave, the local anaesthetic is injected by the same device that does the sampling. I'm sure you would have had one!

Cheers,

Chris

User
Posted 22 Jan 2022 at 18:19
I was under a general anaesthetic, so I felt nothing. 42 samples taken.

I woke up on the recovery ward, all OK. My first two micturitions were like pissing razor blades, but no problems after that.

I discharged myself around 2pm that day, and had no further problems thereafter.

I did have a massive multi-coloured bruise on my perineum subsequently, and the inevitable blood clots in my urine and strawberry semen for a few weeks after.

So to answer your original question, the scale of my pain / discomfort after the surgery would be 3/10.

Best of luck.

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 14 Feb 2022 at 18:00

I had biopsy under local had 32 samples taken. As others have said discomfort rather than pain. By the time of the biopsy I'd lost all worries about modesty which was just as well 😏. As with all my appointments I found staff both kind & very professional.

Edited by member 14 Feb 2022 at 18:01  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 24 Feb 2022 at 17:06

It’s worth reading the conversations on here  about blood in the semen that occurs after biopsy, to prepare yourself. My doctor and nurses underplayed this bit. Totally normal and harmless but a bit of a shock if you’re not expecting it!

User
Posted 26 May 2022 at 22:20

I am 64 have an enlarged prostrate and have a very shy bladder and just have a transperineal biopsy. I am a anxious person so worried for the 4 weeks. However on the day the staff where great,  I had a local and that was more uncomfortable than painful, after that I felt nothing at all, I had 5 cores taken( had a MRI before ) and it was all over in 10 mins. I was out of the hospital 30 mins later. I was informed about blood in the urine but when I got home urinated the rest of the day with no blood and a bit sore down below but it was minor. I thought it was all done so I went to work the next day and started to pass blood in the urine. This is day 2 decided to stay at home, sometime there is blood sometimes not (not a lot of blood drinking seems too help). Hoping that will get better over the next few days. Now I wait for the results. Good luck

User
Posted 26 May 2022 at 23:16

Hi Dave, the blood can be a bit surprising and a little unpredictable. I'm sure it will settle down and is almost certainly harmless.

Dave

User
Posted 27 May 2022 at 00:19
Did they warn you that there may be blood when you ejaculate as well?
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 22 Jun 2022 at 11:28

Okay, I had mine yesterday and it was very painful.  The biopsy itself was not too bad (staple gun/quick punch).  It is the anaesthetic into the perineum and then the prostate that are very painful - but can be endured!  Nurse kept saying 'breathe deeply'.

Although the pain was intense at times I have had kidneys stones twice and they are excruciating!  I would have another under local anaesthetic if needed.

User
Posted 22 Jun 2022 at 12:55
I'm late to this party but here's my 2p:

I've had two transrectal biopsies, both under a local anaesthetic (which were no worse than you'd suffer at the dentist). Neither was painful as such, just uncomfortable, especially #2.

Of course, the most uncomfortable aspect, for me at least, was enduring such an intimate procedure and trying desperately to make conversation with a radiologist who's almost certainly heard all the jokes before!

I was well-informed about what to expect afterwards and am surprised to read that some people have had such a bad experience in that respect.

The first wasn't very uncomfortable at all really. Just the occasional 'tugging' feeling as the samples were taken. My back passage was a bit sore as the anaesthetic wore off and passing the first stool was 'memorable'. I had blood in my urine for a couple of days and had one ejaculation with blood in the semen.

The second was less 'enjoyable' and I was in quite a lot of discomfort for a day or two. The blood in the pee was about the same as the first but the blood in the semen lasted for a few weeks.

I guess that the first guy was just a bit gentler than the second.

User
Posted 22 Jun 2022 at 20:45

Lynn, it was a real shocker when I first ejaculated after the biopsy. Nobody prepared me for the colour, volume or consistency.

Grim, but normal and it does get back to normal. Just keep doing it, don’t refrain. 

User
Posted 22 Jun 2022 at 21:16

Not Great but tolerable 5 mins off uncomfortable probing that can save your life we all grin and bear it  it is uncomfortable but necessary  🙈

User
Posted 23 Jun 2022 at 11:50
Just a comment on anaesthesia, no one has mentioned the use of a spinal blocking anaesthesia.

I've had bladder, kidney and prostate procedures carried out using this method and no pain at all and zero recovery problems.

There may be a reason they don't offer it for those undergoing a TP biopsy but I would be interested to hear if anyone has had a TP done using this form of anaesthesia.

Thanks

Roger
User
Posted 23 Jun 2022 at 12:41

They did numb the area with a solution but it had little effect not nice but over in 10 mins  ok afterwards 🙈

User
Posted 28 Jun 2022 at 22:09
I aborted my TP biopsy as it was too painful and rebooked with a general and felt nothing. Go for general would be my advice. My surgeon said only 1 in 20 men could not support the pain of a TP biopsy under local implying I was a bit of a wuss! I was proud to be one of the 1 in 20 !!
User
Posted 29 Jun 2022 at 00:55
I think your consultant was being a bit cruel Jeremy. When template biopsies were introduced, they were all done in an operating theatre under general anaesthetic - I think the spinal block was just starting to come in and then local anaesthetic was only introduced during the pandemic because theatres were all being converted into additional covid wards / critical care units.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 29 Jun 2022 at 02:05

That’s really interesting Lyn. I wonder if some of the medics had had it under local whether they would continue to do it. The nurses in the room looked a bit surprised that I was sweating and wincing so much!

But then I haven’t had much experience of procedures so maybe this is just one of those things you are expected to grin and bear? 

User
Posted 29 Jun 2022 at 08:13

It wasn't fun but I just beared it over in about 10 mins but I told them never again I would just except the conciqunces 🙈

User
Posted 29 Jun 2022 at 09:27

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

That’s really interesting Lyn. I wonder if some of the medics had had it under local whether they would continue to do it. The nurses in the room looked a bit surprised that I was sweating and wincing so much!

But then I haven’t had much experience of procedures so maybe this is just one of those things you are expected to grin and bear? 

Nick, just to clarify - did you definitely have a template biopsy through the perineum (the area between your scrotum and your anus) and not a transrectal biopsy where they shove implements up your bum and take the biopsies via your rectum?

User
Posted 29 Jun 2022 at 10:07

Yes, ultrasound device up the bum and biopsies through the perineum. Sounds and feels like a staple gun, 14 times thank you very much (although my dad had 29, so mustn’t grumble!)

User
Posted 28 Oct 2022 at 17:21

Had the local x3 which hurt the most followed with around 20 biopsies via the Perineum. Hated the sound of the tigger every time it was pulled, I was not given any antibiotics just verbal instructions which ended with the line go to A&E.
Walked out 30mins later after urinating no ill affects now just being informed by phone a appointment with the consultant has being made but refused to tell me the results not sure if they just want to prolong my agony. I just want my results to prepare my questions

Edited by member 28 Oct 2022 at 17:27  | Reason: Changed a few words

User
Posted 28 Oct 2022 at 17:59

Hi Terance

Yes, it’s not much fun is it! Just be warned that when you first ejaculate what comes out will be dark red. Nothing to worry about as it clears up over time.

The samples from your biopsy need to be examined so I’d be patient and wait to get the full story at your appointment. Waiting for the results is really difficult but it won’t be long.

This site is a great source of information, reassurance and a sprinkling of humour, so worth checking in.

Good luck, 

Nick

User
Posted 03 Dec 2022 at 18:40

I realise this post is quite old now but my experience wasn’t good.

I-admit I was tense, okay scared a little and internally freaked out when my legs were taped into the stirrups!!

However it was painful the first few bits really really hurt and I blame the surgeon as as soon as the deeper two anaesthetics were put in and he got right on it.

the first several bites really really hurt. As the anaesthetic stared to work it got better

when I hot home I was very very sore and found it had to sit but the next day was a lot better

ever again I hope !!

User
Posted 03 Dec 2022 at 19:07

Not great but needs must soon over and it's the waiting for results tension kick's in

User
Posted 03 Dec 2022 at 19:21
See my post 14/2/22. I would be surprised if you biopsy was undertaken by a consultant. Mine was performed by two nurses + plus a student nurse who with my permission observed (Poor thing was probably mentally scared for life 🙈). As they always say on here everyone experience of prostate cancer, and everything resulting from it, is different.

Although I don't doubt you had a very painful experience, I would hate anyone awaiting a biopsy not to have it for fear of it being painful as for the majority of us it's uncomfortable rather than painful. Like a PSA the biopsy is vital for getting the correct diagnosis.

I'm sorry for the pain you suffered an which you well in future treatment. Good luck.

Best wishes

Les

User
Posted 16 Mar 2023 at 14:29

Mine was done under GA by a consultant. When I woke up I was in some discomfort and was wondering what on earth they'd done. I walked to the carpark like John Wayne. My wife checked when we got home and it turned out that the huge adhesive dressing was pulling on all hairs. Other than that the first ejaculation is quite a suprise!

User
Posted 16 Mar 2023 at 16:12

I had 4 biopsies, perhaps a Guinness record holder  :)

All were under local. Non of them painful but rather great discomfort. My first one was 5 years ago. When I recall it, I still remember that bad feeling for each of 8 sampling, I had an inner nervous shock even before the taking. However I learned that rather than concentrating on what is going to happen next, tried to keep my mind off the subject. By 4th biopsy (that was 24 takings), I mastered the art of not thinking about it, I got into a dialogue with one of the nurses in the room. It did work. I really did not notice much of anxiety, nor discomfort compared with 1st one. 

p.s

The 1st and 2nd (8 samplings) biopsy were 5 years ago while I was abroad. It had to be repeated as the first one was not conclusive, the net result was negative. 

The 3rd (12 sampling) biopsy 18 months ago came out all negative but MRI showed T3a. So it was again to be repeated as the result were contradictory. The 24 sampling showed G7 (3+4).

Edited by member 16 Mar 2023 at 16:28  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 16 Mar 2023 at 17:19

Found it tolerable grit your teeth for 5 mins 👍

User
Posted 20 Apr 2023 at 12:42

I had my transperineal procedure on Monday with a local anaesthetic, and all went pretty smoothly. Beforehand, I’d watched a couple of videos on YouTube that showed the way it would be carried out in the UK and that was fairly reassuring. My main concerns were not so much about experiencing pain, but more psychological, especially the thought of needles going into an internal organ and getting embarrassed by presenting all my bits to a room full of medical personel.

The medical staff explained clearly what would happen every step of the way. I was given antibiotics and had to provide a urine sample which was probably the hardest thing I had to do. I had worried about the undignified position I’d be in for the procedure but in the event this wasn’t an issue as I was fully engaged in them getting me in the best place. The doctor repositioned my legs which pushed them as far apart as I was comfortable with and I had to shuffle down the couch to present the best possible surface. My genitals were scooped up in the gown and then taped out the way. 

After rubbing on iodine to cleanse the area, they first sprayed a freezing spray on the whole area which felt strange. I found the digital examination more painful than when my own doctor had done it, but the staff were very alert to any pain I was in. The two initial injections hurt as much as having one in your mouth at the dentists and I could feel the anaesthetic going in. The deeper injections that followed also gave me a small amount of pain but after that, the only thing I felt was the unusual sensation of the samples being taken.

I was played the sound of the biopsy capture to forewarn me and then the doctor began taking samples whilst one nurse engaged me in conversation to take my mind off what was happening. Afterwards, a dressing was sprayed on. I was given coffee and looked after until I felt ready to go home. They were keen for me to pass water which I did because I’d drunk loads beforehand to provide the urine sample. I followed their advice to take it easy for the rest of the day. There was a tiny bit of discomfort where the needles had gone in and a little bleeding. My urine didn’t have any blood in it but after two days, I ejaculated and that was a big shock. I was warned there might be blood in my semen, not that all it would like I was bleeding from my penis. Reading comments on here reassured me that this was perfectly normal.

User
Posted 20 Apr 2023 at 14:03
After the next few weeks the colour should change from "tomato sauce" to "brown sauce" as the blood cells die, and then it'll gradually clear up. It is entirely normal.

All the best,

Chris

User
Posted 20 Apr 2023 at 15:52
Glad it went well open4321. I think it’s certainly better than getting it done up the jacksie! And much less prone to infection too.

I’m Amazed (I shouldn’t be really) at just how good the nurses are..they kept my mind right of it even though I had a visiting party from another Healthboard watching the whole procedure! You kind of get use to these things like dropping your drawers every day for RT!

User
Posted 10 Jul 2023 at 22:40

I had a tp under local 6 months ago - I have delayed posting as I did not want to put people off. But as a retired medic I think it is reasonable that people should have all the facts. I was probably unlucky but I found the procedure extremely uncomfortable and would not be prepared to go through it again. Although it was carried out very professionally by experts. The local anaesthetic was very painful (8/10) although I was warned and prepared for that. They then waited for 5 minutes for the local to work. What I was not prepared for was that I felt all 9 biopsies (a bit like bee stings) on the one side and by the 9th I felt the prostate was on fire (9/10) and I could not have taken much more. Fortunately the second side was not as bad. Then to cap it all the burning increased and I was in severe discomfort for the next 1.5 hrs. Fortunately my wife was able to come in and drive me home as I could not have driven. I told the nurses I was in pain but no analgesia was offered. Once I got home a large dose of ibuprofen soon calmed things down.  But it was all very unpleasant especially as I consider myself a reasonably stoical person who hardly ever takes painkillers. - and the results were negative so that's good.

Given that this is going to be a very common procedure and many people will need more than one. I wrote to the surgical team to tell them about my experience as I felt the level of pain was unacceptable in this day and age.  I suggested that they should at least offer people IV sedation/ analgesia with something like shot of midazolam and fentanyl immediately before the procedure. The surgeon did reply to me but made no mention of offering anything IV. I can see this is offered by some centres, perhaps more so in the USA. I don't think I could go through that again without more attention to pain relief.