Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Concerned Wife

User
Posted 15 Feb 2022 at 22:06

HI 

Maybe a little early to be over concerned, my husband is generally feeling unwell, he doesn't give any definitive answer to how his feeling.  His of the mind set that however bad he feels or whatever pain his in he works through it. At 68 working 6 days a week will take its toll but he won't listen.

Any way he suffers from peripheral neuropathy and he has numb feet and says the pain his like a burning sensation pain is travelling up his legs and has struggled to maintain an erection for many years and says its not working right (sorry TMI) ive always thought it was to do with the PN but now having sent him to the doctors for a PSA test due to weeing frequently at night and stop and start stream ( again been going on a while) his score has come back at 20.19

The doctor didn't perform a DRE just referred him straight to the 2 week referral, that was Friday his had an MRI this evening.  Does a PSA of 20.19 indicate an enlarged prostate or an indication of Prostate Cancer  He also been in AF for 11 years following dilated cardiomyopathy through consumption of too much alcohol this has also probably caused the Peripheral Neuropathy.  Would this complicate any treatment he may need.

Sorry not really sure what Im asking, just want to put it in writing and see if anyone else has similar ailments.

User
Posted 16 Feb 2022 at 01:12

PSA of 20 is quite high, but not definitely cancer. I think I found a site which suggested that PSA 20 suggests 50% chance of cancer, and BTW prostate cancer is very treatable and often curable.

I am surprised the doctor didn't do a DRE it would have added some more information, but I guess an MRI would have to be done with a highish PSA whatever the DRE revealed.

I don't know for certain but AF might rule out a general anaesthetic, and hence surgery, but radiotherapy is equal to surgery as a treatment anyway. I can't think that peripheral neuropathy would have any implications to treatment.

Don't apologise for Too Much Information, when you have been on this site a while you will find nothing is taboo.

Dave

User
Posted 16 Feb 2022 at 12:26
An elevated PSA indicates that investigation is required. I'm sure you're aware, though, that about 70% of men your husband's age have prostate cancer, so the odds are that he does have it? Generally, though, it has no symptoms and in many cases will require no treatment. Most men die with it, not from it.

Just a matter of waiting for the diagnostic process to wend its way through to a conclusion, which I'm afraid is likely to take a couple of months.

Best wishes,

Chris
User
Posted 16 Feb 2022 at 14:10
Peripheral neuropathy can also be symptomatic of diabetes, but I expect he has been checked for this? (Not related to prostate cancer, I don't think).
Hermit
User
Posted 16 Feb 2022 at 15:48

Hi, as everyone has said, a raised psa doesn't mean he has cancer.  It could be an inflamed or enlarged prostate and it often is that.   Getting up in the night and intermittent urine flow is also a symptom of an enlarged prostate.  Only the biopsy confirms what exists and to get a good reading it is better to have 24 samples.

He could have an operation with an epidural I'd think if he can't have anaesthetic.  I've not read of anyone doing that but the PCUK site says you can.

The tests and the waiting are tough times.  I hope it's benign.  Regards Peter

User
Posted 23 Feb 2022 at 13:37
Went to see the consultant on Monday, he was a little in the dark as other than the doctors referral to him due to a high PSA reading he had no other information. The radiologist hadn't reported on the MRI scan yet. He was very thorough in his explaining the meaning of the high PSA had a look at the MRI but said his computer was a bit limited. He explained there was a couple of grey areas which maybe of concern and that he will chase the radiologist and my husband had a repeat PSA no results yet.

He did a physical examination and said he couldn't feel any malignancy but that he was only feeling the outer regions, not particularly reassuring.

Just a waiting game.
User
Posted 25 Feb 2022 at 12:56

The waiting is awful. Try to keep busy and distracted. Some days we just wanted to hide away but forced ourselves to carry on! Fresh air is a great tonic.  Hope you get those results soon and you will at least know where you are working 🤞

User
Posted 25 Feb 2022 at 14:33
A urologist saying the prostate feels normal IS a good thing. It doesn't mean he hasn't got cancer but it does indicate it's not detectable by physical exam. This gives hope that even if it is cancer it will be early enough to treat.
User
Posted 14 Apr 2022 at 16:52

Hi,I have just had robotic surgery but there are many other treatments,the main thing is let the experts guide him and don’t Google anything but nhs sites,good luck. Ps why on earth is he working at his age,retire!